WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? July, 2010

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Astoriadave, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Same Astoria crowd as last week did a quick overnighter on Long Island in Willapa Bay, WA, near the hamlet of Nahcotta. The Bay is well-known for its oysters, ginormous mud flats, and the USFWS Wildlife Refuge. Long Island has five primitive campgrounds, all water-focused, and a system of 20-30 miles of retired logging roads to hike, including a side trail to a grove of cedars, largely untouched by the saw.

Photos here: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/longonight

Google shot of the island here: http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=na ... oint%2c+wa centered on Jensen Point, locus for one of the larger clam grounds on the Bay.

Circuiting the island is a fun day paddle (18-19 miles), if you time the tides so they help you each way, and manage to clear the North end of the island before you run out of water!

Becky's boss, captured transferring a little air kiss to the dominant creature of the woods:

Attached Files:

2. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Hey Dave, had one of those on our lawn yesterday :shock: At least 7" long & an Albino! (I swear) white with pink eyes. I should have taken a photo, I put some wee in him. You know, end of a stick & weeeeeee..... :mrgreen:

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Kruel, Kermode! What are you doing, feeding those farmed slugs dye to make their flesh more palatable on the table, hunh? Slug: the new white meat! :roll: :wink:

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

"tastes like chicken"

5. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

A bit more chewy though... Deep fried, just a bit like kalamari (without the tenticles) but slides down nicely.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

youse guys are sick! :wink: :lol:

how about starfish?
    i heard there was a TV chef program about cooking starfish for consumption.

Hhhhhmmmmmm...........
    i wonder if i could harvest and use slug-slime as the new modern non-petroleum black-powder patch lube and cleaner. :cool :clap:

7. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Maybe Daren, but may be more use as neck gasket lube, may mess the hair up a bit though :lol:

8. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Hey folks!

Well I just returned from an 18 day circumnavigaton of Moresby Island here in Haida Gwaii. Absolultly amazing!

We did the west coast first, out around Cape St James, than back up the east coast.

I'm still in Queen Charlottee City, after spending a couple recovery days in Tlell, but I will be posting a better write up, and photos in a few days when I get back home to Tofino!

My friend and I each paddled singles... etc.

p.s. - I met 'Mariner Chuck' at T'annu just starting his trip!

Cheers,
    VanIslePaddler

9. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Lucky dog,,look forward to the report and pics

10. nootka

nootka Paddler

shark spit, marina island

After taking the ferry to Quadra Island, I paddled to Shark Spit on Marina Island.

Hazards on the north west side of Marina Island.

Shark Spit from the northwest.

Shark Spit from the east.

The ferry terminal at Whaletown.

A rough beach on the south end of Read Island.

Back to Rebecca Spit.

Attached Files:

11. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Wow Nootka - now I feel bad about waiting for the ferry when we missed it...we should have just paddled like you! If I'd had time for more serious paddling, would have given you a ring! You're enjoying your new playground I can see!
    Kathy

12. explorermike

explorermike Paddler

13. chodups

chodups Paddler

Nice paddlework

14. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Had a nice quiet evening on the Slocan River a couple of nights ago. There's a middle section of the river with islands, side channels etc. I stayed out of the main river current as i had no p/u at the other end but had lots of fun poking around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Yesterday i was up at the north end of Slocan Lake. I was intending to stay overnight but had some overnight parking issues so it became a day trip, still good. Headed south on the west side past a possible island camp spot, LOL, and on to a little beach that provided some shade in the mid day heat. Beautiful little creek running into the lake from a steep narrow canyon. Had lunch and started heading back keeping a look out for camping spots for next time that i can access from across the lake. Had one little mishap. I was taking a picture and had gotten some water drops on my clip on shades so i took them off and put them down on my spray skirt. I was turning out of the shot so i used my paddle one handed to do a little sweep as i took the pic. I heard this little tinkle noise which of course was my shades being flicked into the drink from my paddle leash. And i just bought those last week. Oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Cheaper than putting the camera down and having IT get knocked into the drink! (note to self: camera strap is too short...attach an extender with a spring-clip on the end and get rid of that cheap carbiner).

17. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yesterday, Bruce Turner, Belinda Kruger and I did an 11.5 nm foray into the Grays Bay area of the Lower Columbia River, out of historic Knappton, reaching the dredge-spoil enhanced Rice Island, and gunkholing the WA shoreline from Rocky Point back to Knappton. The bay takes its name from Robert Gray, the "discoverer" of the Columbia River, who entered it in 1792, eventually working his way up to this area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gra ... expedition

Route (click to enlarge):

The so-called North Channel was the access favored in early days; later, dredging east and south of Rice Island lead the natural flow down the WA shoreline to the south shoreline near Astoria, and thence to the Pacific. This abandoned the fledgling communities along our route, which labored on as way stations for fish tenders and logging operations, including booming, into the mid-20th century. Somewhere in the mid-1960's the last run of the mail boat/supply steamer brought on the final decline of small water-focused spots such as Frankfort, Brookfield, and lesser lights, none having land-based access until logging roads punched the last bit from inland. Frankfort history: http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/wa/frankfort.html

After a time as a limestone roasting operation and a small sawmill location, Knappton saw the development of a modern tug fleet; just down river from Knappton was the quarantine station where thousands of Chinese immigrants waited until they could be certified "safe" for entry, forming the labor pool for salmon canneries, in the day when there were over 30 on the lower river. One of the original quarantine buildings still stands (now a museum), as do hundreds of remnant piles. More Knappton history: http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/wa/knappton.html

Today, there is evidence ashore of some of this. And, the gunkholing along the shore is very good, with little power boat intrusion.

Our route spun out from Grays Point to the lower end of Rice Island, now held by a colony of nesting gulls (several hundred strong), replacements for the several thougsand Caspian Terns moved (via elaborate means) nearer the mouth of the Columbia, to reduce their effect on salmon smolts in down migration to the sea (long story).

This was a bluebird day, resulting in sightings of gull chicks galore, young mergansers, a signaling pair of loons, a pair of white pelicans (rare in these parts), and the usual crowd of rowdies: several bald eagles, mucho seals, and a plethora of sturgeon-seeking anglers. One boatload of heavily-Russian-accented anglers beseeched me for the nearest bait shop where they could refresh their anchovy supply, as we returned to the rude (by power boat standards; excellent for paddlecraft) ramp at Knappton.

This area of the estuary is exposed to fetches from the SW and a bit from the W, making an early return a good idea. Currents along the North Channel can run up pretty good also, but there is good paddling up the major feeders to the bay: Deep River and Grays River, if one wants more protected haunts. There are two or three good launch spots from those.

One of my fave spots to explore, on mild days. On a 15 knot (or better) westerly, it is chaos over the poorly-charted sandy shoals in the Bay. And, for spice, a well-aimed freighter wake can push 3-foot breakers (!!) into the upper reaches of the bay when it encounters these shallows, a disconcerting sight between paddlers in deeper, adjacent waters!

Attached Files:

18. nootka

nootka Paddler

circumnavigation of Read Island

It was a stellar weekend as I paddled around Read Island.The Surge Narrows Post Office.
    White Rock Passage & Mt Doogie Dowler.

An old homestead, now an oyster lease.

Anyone know what kind of fish this is?
    These little fish were hiding in the sand. As the tide dropped, their hiding spots would dry out, and they would pop up into the air. If they were lucky, they would wiggle down hill to the ocean. If they were unlucky ...
    they were lunch.

Attached Files:

19. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

I went for a paddle on Slocan Lake, up the east side and had a very nice time paddling by the big cliffs, small coves. I wasn't in the mood for taking pics on this beautiful day until i saw this. I just hung out paddling in place for a while thinking about how someone had paddled this way hundreds of years ago.

[​IMG]

20. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Re: circumnavigation of Read Island

Looks like a Needle Fish? I have an artificial bait that looks just like that I use for Salmon.