WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? July, 2010

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Astoriadave, Jul 4, 2010.

1. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Re: circumnavigation of Read Island

Yes I believe it is a Needle Fish aswell (mind you I'm not an icthiologist, or whatever a fish person is called)

Did you know, that Needle Fish, along with a few other species of 'Feed' fish, their habitats/lay-eggs/etc in the inter-tidal zone. The decimation of many stocks of 'Feed' fish is due in part to habitat destruction. Habitat destruction can come in many forms, chemical pollution, over-use, or by shoreline hardening. The rock walls often constructed along shorelines to protect human 'Property' disrupt the natural cycle of shoreline egress/regress, altering the habitat needed for these species.

SAY NO TO ROCK WALLS, keep our shorelines natural!

2. nootka

nootka Paddler

3. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

4. rider

rider Paddler

Last night after work, I figured I'll go play at Ambleside in the chop from the strong West wind we had all day. Took the Solstice GTS that I normally only use for the odd race to see what it's like surfing wind waves. Turns out,very good. Pretty fast and smooth in the following sea as long as waves aren't very steep or else bow gets submarined severely. Had some good rides. Landing went screwy. I thought I'll play it safe and land on the back of a wave, I thought I let the bigger one pass and land right behind it. As I was in maybe 3-4 feet of water and almost ashore, another big one came up from behind and stood up the 17'6'' long boat practically vertical. I felt the boat wobble-flex standing nose into sand,and then fall over back and to the side,thankfully not ass over tea kettle forward. Rolled back up,landed,got out. No damage that I know off,but quite the interesting feeling. Pitchpoling in West Van somehow feels less natural than on the West Coast of the island.
    Looking around once on shore I noticed a metal sign slightly sticking out of the water in wave troughs(and hidden otherwise), walked into the water to read it, it said "Caution Sudden Dropoff". Figures.

5. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Wish you were all here in Desolation Sound with me :mrgreen: !

Rainbow over Savary Island.

Sunset over Cortez.

What to do when the winds are a steady 27 knots...

Hope every one's summer is full of sunshine and paddling.

Attached Files:

6. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

More beautiful days on Slocan Lake. This is along the east side which has become a bit of a favorite spot lately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Moose

Moose Paddler

The Bowron Lakes chain.

I had to use a canoe :cry:

Attached Files:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Mrs and I headed for Victoria on July 3 with a short stopover in Kelowna. I had a 2-day course booked with ORS for the 10/11 but needed to get on the water before that so we went for a short paddle around Cadboro Bay. Rounding Flower Island I could have sworn I saw a spout off in the distance but it wasn't repeated so I could not confirm.

Mrs. admires the local real estate. "No, dear... we can NOT afford it".

On Sunday the weather forecast in the early morning dictated that the course would go to Oak Bay. Strangely enough, the night before the news was mentioning that a Grey was hanging about... possibly what I saw on Thursday from Cadboro?...

The instructors wondering which kayak to give the leaky paddle float to...

As we rounded corner to the entrance to the Oak Bay marina I was sure I'd seen the spout again. Nobody believed me so I took this picture anyway.

Then, a couple of minutes after that, proof positive

A very cool introduction to West Coast Paddling! (and a first for the instructors as well... at least with a class in tow).

July 12 we went on up to Tofino where I got in a day with a tour group around the Tofino harbour/island area and over to Meares for a walk amongst the old cedars. Very fun and educational considering that one of our group was a recently-retired forester! A healthy introduction to the weirdness of tidal currents and their effect on a boat as well.

Heading out

While someone watches over us

Wondering which of her friends carved THIS!

The inside of a giant cedar

Headed back in after a great few hours on the water.

MacKenzie Beach fog

MacKenzie Beach Sunset

Chesterman Beach Surf Class... "Do as I do, not as I say"

"but... THAT HURTS!"

Edit: why do these show up a second time? I can't find a way to delete them.....

Attached Files:

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

After the Tofino paddle we drove down to Ucluelet to take a gander at the "Wild Pacific Trail". If you haven't taken a stroll on this, you must do so! For sure take your camera. There are two or three sections of the trail... we only did the lighthouse loop and intend on walking the rest of it next time. It's no charge but a donation to help the volunteers maintain the trail is appeciated.

On July 20 we went over to the Sunshine coast and booked in at the Backeddy Marina in Egmont. A really neat place; although I'd expected possibly raucous fishermen at the pub it turned out to be reasonably sedate and quiet. Our cabin had a great view of the water and the boats, there is a small restaurant and pub where you can get off-sales, and a decent launch ramp right next door to the main building.

One day Jimmy Pattison "drove" past (doubtless trying to figure out how to set up his next deal);

A string quartet showed up off one of the sailboats and entertained the gathered masses; (the leader is a member of the VSO and his family, who are all accomplished musicians, accompanied him);

The sun rose and set;

The dog tried to save a log from certain drowning:

And a heron roosted in the tree.

One morning the Mrs. and I went for a brief paddle at near-slack to see the local sights, including the Malibu Princess and then hiked in to the Skookumchuck Rapids to watch the fun. The van came all the way from North Carolina.

Finally we took a tour boat in to see Princess Louisa Inlet. I guess I was expecting relatively calmer water but with the tide running one way and the wind blowing the other it was "a fair bit bumpy"! What outstanding scenery though...I can see what the draw is for you folks who do the serious camping into those inlets all up and down the coast.

Indian rock paintings

Glaciers

And waterfalls

What a trip. Now it's home, mail, laundry, mods to the boats (non-stretching perimeter lines, seatpan and knee brace adjustments) and then off to Kootenay Lake for 3 weeks. Dang, I should have retired years ago.

Attached Files:

10. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Nice vacation Ed!
    Sorry we didn't get to hook up while you were in Victoria!

WE have been going out "fishing" every morning now that we are on vacation for two weeks! I drop off the crab traps off of Albert Head or William Head and had for the kelp beds to see if I can catch anything edible. Mostly Rock bas, Ling Cod and greenlings. No Salmon! Too small to keep but still a good fight for a minute or two.
    I'll add pictures when I figure out where my Wife hid the camera?

11. nootka

nootka Paddler

circumnavigation of Maurelle Island

Surge Narrows and Hole in the Wall are 5 nautical miles apart; and their times of slack current are about 10 minutes apart. Since few of us can paddle 30 knots, most paddlers wisely take 2 days to circumnavigate Maurelle Island. When I asked Brent if one could go through the north-east channel of Surge Narrows during a strong ebb, he said that we could go through the west channel (our usual play area) no problem! On Wed July 27th, slack at Hole in the Wall was at noon, so this was a suitable date. We caught the 07:30 ferry from Campbell River, and launched just before 9 am. This put us through Surge Narrows at 10 after 9. Beazley Passage had an ebb tide of 6.8 knots at 08:50. Our channel was flowing strongly, but had a minimum of whirlpools.

Brent in his new Explorer, nicknamed the Speckled Trout because of the glitter finish.

The Octopus Islands in the background.

Too bad these boat wakes aren't going in the right direction.

We had a lunch break on Francisco Island, and were in place at the west entrance to Hole in the Wall a few minutes early. Not being sensible, we pushed through against the dying ebb, rather than wait 10 minutes for slack.

Industrial Waste. This abandoned net cage is a reminder of the cavalier attitude towards nature all too prevalent in our society.

The eastern entrance to Hole in the Wall.

We had expected the flood to push us through Hole in the Wall, and southwards in Calm Channel; but we were pleasantly surprised to see the kelp bulbs aligned favorably in Whiterock Passage. South of the Settler's Group, the flood was opposed by a southern wind, giving us some chop. Nonetheless, we were back at the truck in time to catch the 6pm ferry to Campbell River. We both agreed that it was a fine day on the water; and that the tides had been very favorable.

NOTE: Traversing Surge Narrows at non-slack is not recommended unless you know what you are doing. We wore drysuits and have combat rolls. (I traded my drysuit for shorts and a sunshirt after the rapids).

Attached Files:

12. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

I see the picture of the net pen going to waste and becomming polution and can't help but thinking the Department of Fish & Oceans has to know who that belongs to and should go after them to remove it or remove it themselves and go after the owners for the cost of clean-up.

I've been up in that area in my powerboat. It's beautiful country and shouldn't be ruined by things like abandoned net pens.

13. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Totally agree... why is industrial garbage left "in the street" as it were? I know what would happen if it was a private individual that did that. In granting any licence for commercial/ industrial operations it should be a condition that cleanup will occur at the termination of operations. Could be difficult to enforce however if the operator has gone bankrupt. BUT I have seen many contracts where a bond has to be paid up front to cover such an eventuality. No Bond no contract/ permission. No excuses, no "special deals".

14. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Wow, excellent stuff Tootsall!

We paddled the Broken Group Islands for 5 days toward the end of July. My wife & I and the two girls (aged 8 & nearly 5) paddled our canoe (17.5' Swift Yukon) while our two friends paddled kayaks rented at Sechart Lodge. We spent all 4 nights camped at Willis Island and did day trips from there to Turret, Clarke & Benson Islands, with one day being our slack day at camp spent largely exploring the beach, resting, and playing "mermaids". We toured through between Jacques, Jarvis, Nettle & Prideaux Islands, and the Tiny Group on our ways to and from Willis at the start and end of our trip, varying our route out from the route in. It was foggy or low overcast for most of the time and fairly calm, but it didn't rain and the fog fit well with our expectations of the climate.

All in all it was a fantastic trip! The intertidal sea life was amazing to behold and many hours were spent simply beachcombing or gazing into the waters. We spotted a whale off of Clarke Island to the NW in the Loudon Channel. I don't know what type of whale it was, it was at quite a distance and I don't know what to look for - I would see it spout then it's back in succession about 3 or 4 times, then I'd see the tail flukes and it would be gone for a couple of minutes. We also went to see the giant and gnarly cedar on Turret - man that's one helluva tree.

The kids met a new friend at Willis Island and I met a fellow boatbuilder. The kids would collect bull kelp and these became mermaid dolls that they played with extensively - the bulb is the head, with the fronds or leaves being the hair.

A full report and photos will follow at some point.

Thanks to all here that have posted about the Broken Group. I found some fantastic trip reports here that were very useful in my planning.

Cheers,
    Bryan

p.s. I also hiked in to see the famous Skook Rapids. Next time, I paddle in to see it! Seemed like a narrower version of "Cokestop" combined with "Surf City" on the Churchill River, but with star fish all over the place. Not to mention the fact that it's highly variable and reverses. ;)

15. Laronge

Laronge New Member

Re: circumnavigation of Maurelle Island

Thanks for the trip report!

I have a question about this small note:
    >> We had expected the flood to push us through Hole in the Wall, and southwards in Calm Channel; but we were pleasantly surprised to see the kelp bulbs aligned favorably in Whiterock Passage.

So I understood this to mean that Whiterock passage was flooding S-SW? ie 'down' ?
    I looked on the charts and the tidal current directions are not marked in Whiterock passage...is that because the flows are generally weak? Anyway, your comment is the only reference I found to the direction so I wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.

Thanks

16. nootka

nootka Paddler

Yes, Whiterock passage was flooding from the NE towards the SW. This was about 3 pm, near max flood of 9+ knots at Surge Narrows.
    Currents were weak; but favorable & weak beats unfavorable & weak any time.
    BTW, My post should have said Tuesday July 27.
    I have no idea if Whiterock floods during the whole flood cycle or just at peak.

17. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Just to confirm the details of Nootka's post from last year. I had read in John Kimantas's guide that Whiterock Passage floods to the north. This is not correct. I paddled through the Passage on Saturday and it was flooding south (or more accurately NE to SW) in the late afternoon when Surge Narrows was in the first third of its flood