WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - June 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Jurfie, Jun 1, 2007.

1. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

Hey --- coming back at night sounds like an excellent idea. Because you can pretty well count on the wind dying with the sun, yes I think I might even try that --- great idea.

I've never paddled at night (yet). Of course I'll make sure I'm prepared with all the night-stuff like lights, etc.

One tactic that's always stood me in good stead is to hug the shoreline --- not only does this give you a better view of whatever there is to see, a sensation of making progress, a break from headwinds (if any), and almost eliminates the possibility of getting mown down by a drunken powerboater, but if something DOES happen, land is right there. So I'll just stick close to land --- can't hurt.

I wonder what the chances of seeing that bioluminescence are...

2. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

Dan, sorry for jamming up the thread with failed attempts at picture posting. I'll use the special thread.
    I tried even trimming everything except the bare filename (preceeded with 'http://' etc) from the text that picassa itself generates for embedding in webpages and with IM or emails, and it STILL didn't work. Grrr.

Nice pics of the sub testing thing --- wow. You don't see much military sub activity around here. I know in Nanoose Bay on the Island for the longest time they had a torpedo testing range and a yellow submarine. When we drove past as a kid I would always look for the yellow sub. Also, in the 70's there were always dozens of nuclear subs tied up abreast in Halifax, last time I was there not even one.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I can assure you that nightfall does not mean that the wind will die off -- in fact, at times the wind can be quite strong at night on the arm.

Being close to the shore might be helpful in some spots on Indian Arm but in most locations it won't do you any good because the shoreline is near vertical with nowhere to get out of the water.

I wouldn't advocate paddling up the arm at night unless you're very proficient at self rescues -- if anything should go wrong, there's usually no one around to offer assistance.

Just curious, have you taken any kayaking lessons?

4. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

"I can assure you that nightfall does not mean that the wind will die off -- in fact, at times the wind can be quite strong at night on the arm. "

Sure, if there's a low pressure system or some other meteorological anomaly on the rampage, you could get have hurricane force southerlies up Indian Arm peaking at 3am, but in that case I'm not going to be there to begin with --- what, you think it's impossible to determine when the summertime anabatic is asserting itself? Oh ye of little faith...
    ;)

And even though the shore may be steep and cliffy, it will still have a wind - boundary layer extending out 30 - 50 feet, within which the wind will be vastly reduced if not entirely stilled, the shoreline itself will help keep drunken power boaters at bay, and there's almost always some little craggy ledge that you could get out on even if you might have to go a ways to find it. There are some places where it is sheer for a long way, yes --- I've seen them on the chart. Nevertheless, for all the other reasons I just mentioned, I still hold shore-hugging to be a valid tactic, day and night.

Lessons? Well, I'm NAUI certified for SCUBA diving, have spent several seasons working on commercial vessels, can do celestial navigation and have an amateur radio license (which helps enormously in being able to make contact when marine VHF rigs can't cut it, I bring my own dual bander as backup on trips), but have I had kayak lessons? No. I've read Matt Broze's Deep Trouble, though. I have a good PFD and a proper ocean 'yak with two bulkheads, and I'm working on getting a drysuit.

You make a good point about needing to be more self-reliant at night. I haven't done a night paddle yet, in part because of exactly that reason. In fact, I probably won't go on a night paddle at all til I either get a drysuit or hook up with another paddler. I usually paddle solo, and have a very conservative style because of it. Nevertheless, I'm still pretty sure that under the right conditions, it's a safe bet that daytime, anabatic-driven southerlies blowing up Indian Arm will decrease significantly come nightfall ...

5. rider

rider Paddler

The paddle back at night was probably the most peaceful experience i've had on the water. Though one thing to keep an eye on is powerboats with no lights, seen a couple of those that night. Honestly the chances of anything happening with the water glass-smoth are pretty slim.

6. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Night paddling is great, especially when the water is smooth. It is a really good chance to feel and hear your strokes, rather than mainly see them. I think my paddling style is better at night than by day because of this.

7. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Hey DarrenM, cool vid. Thanks. I have never seen myself rolling before. Not too shabby, if I say so myself.

Now to set up some rope in the front yard (no trees in the back)........

8. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

Yeah --- night paddling is something I'm looking forward to doing this season.

I remember one July when I was a teenager we were living near a beach, and I went out in a rowboat one night with a friend. We were amazed to find the water alive with zillions of tiny glowing creatures. Any agitation or disturbance of the water made them glow briefly, some would flash. I was fascinated and we must have stayed out there for an hour watching this ocean of marine fireflies. You'd have to be somewhere free from light pollution to really see them clearly, though. I should be able to see them on my July trip and am looking forward to it immensely.

9. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Anyone living on it? :lol:

(I'm so sorry...that was bad...) :oops:

10. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

You know, I haven't seen Nanoose Bays' yellow sub since the late 70's. The blue meanies probably ironed out their torpedo problems and sunk it. I'll ask the Walrus.

:)

11. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

dan wrote:

As we continued on up the arm, night fell upon us -- this was the view from somewhere south of Berg's Landing:
    [​IMG]

dan,
    just gotta hand it to ya for such a deep and thoughtful shot - it sure shows that a picture is worth a 1000 words . . . . like any 1000 of your words, i guess. . . .

and i/ve also heard that the content of a picture often reflects the content of the photographer's soul and intellect . . . . if present

heh heh

12. Dan_Millsip

Someone has been telling you some tall tales -- and using too many words. :wink:

It was pretty dark that night. :lol:

13. Houston

Houston Paddler

I actually didn't get any paddling in this weekend, but I did go wakeboarding all Sunday mid-day around Granite Falls, until it got too choppy around 3. I saw a bunch of kayakers, and was pretty sure I recognized a few kayakers from here.

I was the one looking cold getting dragged behind a boat on a pink wakeboard.

14. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Four of us went out and practiced stern rudders in long shallow following waves this evening - had no idea that you could turn both to the right or the left with a stern rudder on either side of the boat! What I used and thought was a stern rudder was more like snowplowing when skiing! Who said you can't teach an old horse to do new tricks! And, Mick, found out why you said to learn to paddle backwards...we did a lot of that - new muscles!

15. Dan_Millsip

Went for an after work paddle this evening in the Nicomekl River. A very calm night but the setting sun and cloud created a most dramatic effect.

I watched as the RCMP pulled over a couple of young guys on a PWC -- not sure why they pulled them over but after a short delay, they sent them on their way:
    [​IMG]

Great Blue Heron standing on a dolphin:
    [​IMG]

Train going over the swing bridge at the entrance to the Nicomekl:
    [​IMG]

Another blue heron near the train bridge:
    [​IMG]

Another shot of the setting sun as I approach Blackie Spit:
    [​IMG]

Not sure what kind of bird this is (maybe a Sanderling?):
    [​IMG]

16. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

I like this photo...it would make a good desktop image.

(hinthint) ;-)

17. waverider

waverider Paddler

Well last weekend i went for a solo camping trip up to Harrison lake, was fantastic. EXEPT for coming home with a case of Swimmers itch!!! ouch!
    still got it, but slowly going away . just thought i'd share that with you :)

18. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Have been again in Croatia for the long June weekend.

We camped on the westcoast of the island of Cres, went again to the blue grotto, got there at low tide, perfect for exploring the caves in a kayak, unfortunatley a thunderstorm was comming, so the blue light was not very good and we had a bumpy ride in a strong tailwind back to camp.

[​IMG]

Camp Slatina.

[​IMG]

The new van tent.

[​IMG]

Two gemini paddlers in their Gemini kayak (made for Discover by Seaward)

[​IMG]

Heading north to the blue grotto.

[​IMG]

At the grotto.

[​IMG]

Winding into the vaulted chamber.

[​IMG]

In the chamber.

[​IMG]

Getting out again.

[​IMG]

A well deserved rest!

[​IMG]

Solo trip in the Kahuna.

[​IMG]

Heading out to the open waters of the Kvarner Gulf

[​IMG]

Crossing over to Zeca Island.

[​IMG]

Driftwood shelter on Zeca.

[​IMG]

Great beaches!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beautiful flowers.

[​IMG]

Getting around Zeca Island, another remote beach!

[​IMG]

A side trip to the lighthouse on Visoki Island

[​IMG]

Back to Camp Slatina.

[​IMG]

Finding new friends, she walked on the roof of our tent next morning!

Croatia is great for seakayaking, i am thinking about a circumnavigation on Cres and Losinj next spring, anybody interested?

servus,

Willi

19. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Looks like you had a wonderful time Willi.
    That's a pretty cool tent! 8)

20. ruthk

ruthk Paddler

uhhh, no thanks..had that once and that was enuf! :p :lol: :roll:

hope u had some benedryl with u! where did u camp? the only place i've ever camped is inundated with yahoos.. mind u, thats car campng..