WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - June 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Jurfie, Jun 1, 2007.

1. ruthk

ruthk Paddler

beautiful pics guys.. :D

dan, what kinda camera do u use?

2. waverider

waverider Paddler

Ruthk wrote: hope u had some benedryl with u! where did u camp? the only place i've ever camped is inundated with yahoos.. mind u, thats car campng..

Um no I did not have benedryl or anything else, ( now I added calamine to the first aid kit) fortunitly it didn't start itching till I was on my way home.

Yeah I know what you mean about the car camping, So I always pass them by.

I ended up camping at Eagle falls, fantastic place, even though it was flooding out! you can look at the pictures on my blog if you want.

Cheers Mark

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Ruth, the Indian Arm photos near the top of this thread were taken with my Canon S1 IS.

The Nicomekl River shots above were taken with my new Canon S3 IS (I purchased it about an hour or so before I went for that paddle).

4. sludge

sludge Paddler

Willi:

I am now entranced with Croatia. I want to go. Great pictures.

5. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

@ DarrenM: yep, the tent is great, after i sold my old `88 VW westfalia, i bought a van without a pop top and needed something to sleep in.
    found a good deal on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.at/10T-Seaton-awning-fo ... dZViewItem

@ ruthk: i am also using the Canon S2 IS, but will switch to a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 by the end of the week.

@ sludge: Croatia is one of the best places in Europe for seakayaking, especialy the Gulf of Kverner and farther south the Kornat national park.

i am going again next spring, i hope i can lure some of you guys over for a euro paddle! just watch for a new post in paddling partners!

servus

:wink:

Willi

6. rider

rider Paddler

I went for a paddle up from fort langley to check up on LaPointe and,just an after-work paddle. started off alright, 2.2-2.5mph with a 5mph flatwater effort. at some point it got monstrous where i am putting in 5.5-6mph effort to see the gps read 1-1.5mph. then past the little river/stream current eased up and i could do 2-3mph again. BTW,anybody know how much fort langley tide timing is off compared to deep cove?
    Compared to when i saw and boarded the boat last time in 2005, the smokestack looks freshly painted, windows seem to be covered with plastic, and more important than anything else, i am 99% positive that it FLOATS! where as before i was sure it sat on the ground since it looked to sit deeper or higher depending on tide. On the way back river floated me at 3-3.5 and i could go at 6-6.5 with a lazy effort.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

I think depending on the level of the river and the total discharge rate, you might not even get much of a tidal pulse near Langley. I went for a paddle near Barnston Island a while back when the Mission gauge was four meters and change, and even up to several hours after low slack on a big tide there was no noticeable change --- it was just a constant speed all the time. My tug driver friend says most of the time, at Barnston, the pulse is delayed 40 minutes, so I'd guess it'd be a little longer at Langley, when there is a pulse.
    Nice pictures --- I love shipwrecks.

8. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Nice pictures rider.

Yesterday, I went for a paddle to Chilliwack Lake -- a location that I've been to several times previously to go hiking in the area. Having never paddled there before I knew from maps and what I've heard that there are no spots to stop along the west shoreline -- it's true. Not a single spot to stop for lunch or a rest (until the end of the lake).

I was test paddling a kayak and wasn't feeling as relaxed in it as I ought to have, so about 3/4 the way to south end of the lake when the wind kicked up I turned around and headed back. I can tell you that the wind picks up really fast on this lake -- so much in fact that within minutes of seeing the advancing white caps, I was engulfed in some excellent 2 foot surfing waves that allowed me a very fast paddling for about half the way back before the wind calmed down again.

If there is one thing that Chilliwack Lake has no shortage of is magnificent scenery -- the surrounding mountains are absolutely spectacular.

Driving along the road to the lake is much more pleasant than driving in rushour traffic:
    [​IMG]

Pedestrian bridge at the north end of the lake near the campsite:
    [​IMG]

Why I'm here:
    [​IMG]

This was the only wildlife I encountered:
    [​IMG]

Back at the north end of the lake:
    [​IMG]

9. kiteking

kiteking New Member

Clayoquot

Just got back from a few days in Clayoquot.
    [​IMG]
    Since there was a strong NW forecast (35-40 knots) we decided to head to Blunden, a wonderful and somewhat less travelled island off Vargus. After leaving Victoria in the morning and getting organized we didn't arrive at Blunden until about 8 PM. Lo and behold who do we meet but Mark from WestCoastPaddler on his last night of a 16 day adventure. The next morning we awoke to torrential rain - 2 inches in 3 hours. Luckily that was it for the rest of the trip. Slide show at the following link
    http://www.photoshow.com/watch/Wp5cy2dQ

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Cool sideshow! And beautiful pictures.
    But I don't believe for one minute that Mark was showing off...

:lol: :wink:

Thanks for sharing 8)

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

That is a really well done slide show, for sure!

We visited Blunden back in September of 2005. I dumped it in the shorebreak in that bay. Never saw it coming -- very deceptive!

12. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Wow - that's one nicely prepared slideshow! Looks like you had the weather I was waiting for (for 2 weeks!). :( Glad you had a good trip - it's a pretty stunning area no matter what the weather. 8)

13. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Amazing slideshow! Thank you for sharing all the pics! Now I can add another island to my list of places to go! :lol: :lol: 8)

14. kiteking

kiteking New Member

Blunden

Mark, I forgot to tell Darren about the fact you were running around beating your chest like Tarazan on the beach when we arrived, made sense after finding out you were on your 16th day alone. (Joke OK) Dave, last trip we went to Blunden (2002) we had a couple of sit on top kayaks shipped out via the water taxi, had a blast rock gardening on the outside. I remember being capsized in the bay one day as well :)

Whaler Islets
    [​IMG]

15. andreas

andreas Paddler

wow, what a cool show!

thanks!

16. waverider

waverider Paddler

On Wednesday evening I paddled out from blackie spit in Crescent beach and paddled out ( due to low tide, waaayyyy out ) and around to Kwomais point. The return paddle was great as the tide was coming in and being shallow out there the current is great so I was able to play abit.

Yesterday afternoon I headed out to Buntzen Lake, didn't paddle more then 20 meters from shore though as I was there to pratice rolling as I am determined to have one down by September. Went very well .

17. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

Hey Waverider, were those grey whales still hanging around off Kwomais Point?

A couple times when I paddled from Blackie Spit, I timed it so the ebb-tide current carried me outbound, and after low-slack, also gave me a free ride back to shore on the flood-tide --- it was pretty cool. Only once was the tide relatively high when I paddled around Kwomais Point, and wow, was it ever a much shorter trip! Like the difference between 4-5 kilometers vs 2 km, just from looking at the chart.

18. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Paddled across the Strait of Georgia from the Comox Peninsula to Powell River and back on Saturday, a 35 nautical mile paddle. I like to do one long paddle every year. I have wanted to do the Powell River crossing for a couple of years. Nine and a half hours in the saddle, averaging 3.5 knots per hour. Hadn't realised there is quite a current - about a knot I would guess - during the flood, which runs north, which took me a bit by surprise. The trouble with the charts is they do not show currents that would interest kayakers.

On the way back I relearnt an important lesson - trust your instruments. Visibility was poor so I worked out the bearing I would need to follow from the chart. On the water the skies cleared a little and I saw a feature I recognised. It seemed to be in the wrong place, or my bearing was out. I decided I must have done my map work wrong. I hadn't - it was my memory of where the feature lay in relation to the lower ground that I was aiming for that was incorrect. No big deal but it was a useful lesson relearnt.

It was great out on the water. The weather was poor, overcast, rain, reduced visibility. The only thing that wasn't grey was my boat. But there are so many different greys.

19. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

Apostle Islands MID coast paddling.. can still drink the water, but it is down 16trillion gallons from last year.

[​IMG]

20. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Mick and I caught the ferry to Schwartz Bay friday evening, docking about 8:30. we got on the water about nine and headed out to Portland Island for the weekend. it was dusk as we paddled along the west shore of the island and ran into the most incredible bio-luminescence ever! i'd seen some neat b/l in the Brokens, like stars in the water, but this was different. like clouds in the water. watching the GP move through the water was like a video on hydro-dynamics. most fasinating!
    except for the survey croud, we had the place to ourselves. saw lots of critters. way more otters than i've seen anywhere else. Mick shadowed a mink for a hundred yards or so. him paddling and the mink on shore. hummingbirds both saturday and sunday mornings checking out the stuff on the picnic table as i had coffee (i'm an early riser). eagles in the distance. mice. and the ever-present ring-tailed bandits. one of the fat furry rodents got Micks plastic bottle of trail mix and neatly removed the screw top without chewing up the bottle!
    packed up sunday morning and headed back under partly cloudy skies. Hah! for the last half hour we got dumped on. rained very hard till just after we got to the dock, then the sun came out and it got nice and warm again.
    on the ferry back, just coming out of Active Pass, we spotted a large pod of orcas. the ferry slowed for the passengers to watch. as we passed the pod to continue on our way i looked backed over the stern and saw six or seven whale watching tour boats in our wake. :( the ferry had effectively blocked them for quite a while and for that i was glad. :)
    all said, it was a great trip. :D
    DarenN....... 8)