WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - June 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Jurfie, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Oh I'm jealous Daren! Brings back Portland memories!
    :thumbsup

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

DarenN, sounds like you and Mick had a terrific time.

Last Sunday we had a birthday party for my two daughters (their birthdays are a few days apart) at Buntzen Lake. I got a trailer full of boats, the girls invited a few friends, and all twenty of us went paddling for the day.

Arriving at the lake with all the boats:
    [​IMG]

A floatilla of kayaks go for a group paddle to the end of the lake:
    [​IMG]

The birthday girl zooming past one of the kids and their Dad:
    [​IMG]

The MSR Pavilion tent provided a dry haven from the several downpours:
    [​IMG]

This little fellow quickly caught on to the finer points of paddling:
    [​IMG]

Having fun on the water -- this is what the day was all about:
    [​IMG]

Despite many heavy rainshowers (and a few downpours) everyone who was invited, showed up and we all had a terrific time!

3. ruthk

ruthk Paddler

eww! 8O where exactly is that?

4. ruthk

ruthk Paddler

great idea for a bday party dan! lucky kids! :D

5. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Good to see other people with kids! My daughter hates any paddle that doesn't involve a market and lunch in a restaurant. Drive me nuts! She also demands the best boat everytime! Apart from that she is a great kid (14). Thanks for posting family pics! :lol:

6. Dan_Millsip

I should mention that the way I worked it was that each kid had to be accompanied by a parent -- this did three things -- I didn't have to babysit a bunch of ten year olds, the kids behaved well, and it got the kids out with one of their parents for a fun day on the water.

My youngest daughter came up to me towards the end of the day, wrapped her arms around me and said "thanks Dad" -- that made it all worthwhile. :D

7. waverider

waverider Paddler

Dan you are one hell of a cool parent !!!

8. waverider

waverider Paddler

Myself and Dan paddled up Nicomekl river last night, Dan had the chance to try out a new paddle :lol:

9. Islandboy

Islandboy Paddler

We finally took our tandem out the Gorge through the Tillicum narrows to the islands at West Bay (across from the breakwater at the entrance to the Victoria harbour). A good paddle in spite of the rain for the last half. I am looking forward to August when I should be able to last more than a couple hours on the water. :roll:

10. Dan_Millsip

A few pictures from waverider's and my paddle up the Nicomekl River the other night.

Herons -- and lots of them:
    [​IMG]

North Shore mountains:
    [​IMG]

The eagle has landed:
    [​IMG]

Checking out a boat at the marina -- a passerby told us that this boat was stored in a boathouse that was destroyed during the wind storms earlier this year -- too bad because this is a beautiful boat that is getting thrashed from sitting out in the weather:
    [​IMG]

Waverider:
    [​IMG]

11. woodensoul

woodensoul Paddler

Hey waverider are you doing this on a regular basis? I have a similar goal and wouldn't mind hooking up if you are looking for someone to share the motivational aspects...

12. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

I am in that pod ( in Seattle). I have to take baby steps, because I can't forcus on 2-3 things at a time. I am like " Ok, my hands and paddle blade is off the water over the hull, now sweep! and all I can think of after that is surviving... But I will be there.

13. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Great photos! This site has me convinced that I need a camera! :D

14. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Wow! You know...I don't recall ever seeing a heron in a tree before. I've only seen them on shorelines, etc. Weird, eh?

15. woodensoul

woodensoul Paddler

Heron's actually nest in trees. Usually high up in on hill sides where you don't see them. They pick the top third of the tree so that it is not visible from the air or the ground. They will re-use a succesful nesting site each year until the eagles find them. The eagles then clean the nest out and the herons move on. Part of life's rich pagentry....

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

This just happened at Beacon Hill park.

http://www.heroncam.com/

17. waverider

waverider Paddler

Woodensoul wrote:Hey waverider are you doing this on a regular basis? I have a similar goal and wouldn't mind hooking up if you are looking for someone to share the motivational aspects...

Yes, I have a post in the paddling partners section " pratice anyone?" that is still in play, Woodensoul I sent you a p.m

Mark

18. Dan_Millsip

I've got quite a few pictures of herons in trees. It was interesting the other night because waverider and I watched a huge flock of birds flying overhead -- but it took a few minutes before we realized that they were herons -- must have been 70-80 of them. They all landed in the tree in the photo and a couple of other nearby large trees -- we thought it was a bit amazing that they blended in so well once they were in the trees. In fact, had we not seen them fly into the trees, we probably would have paddled right past without seeing them at all.

I've also seen a couple of heron rookeries in the Alouette River area -- apparently, if you climb a tree where herons are nesting they'll give you a shot of their defence system -- needless to say, it's would be much worse than standing underneath a seagull (if you know what I mean). 8O

19. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Seen a couple of these heron rookeries on the Columbia ... some you find by the odor!

20. woodensoul

woodensoul Paddler

Yes there was one at Harrison for a few years where we spend time. The rookery becomes easier to see each year as the trees under the nest get completely white washed...