WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? June 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by rider, Jun 2, 2008.

1. rider

rider Paddler

Here's some photos from our trips to Sandy Island in late may and this weekend's trip to Mayne/Saturna
    We found out why nobody camps on the Georgia strait side of Sandy, had a fun night paddle with the wind suddenly kicking up a bit of chop on the way back,and still unsure what the ruins on sandy island used to be, i almost wonder if it was some kind of a wartime mini watchtower,but probably something more mundane.
    On Mayne/Saturna it was a nice relaxed weekend, beautiful spot with sea otter poo everywhere but no obnoxious rowdies(!) and turned out water was a bit too cold to do any real diving. Did some beachcombing for cool rocks and beach glass and along the way found enough junk to justify a garbage run across the bay to the ferry terminal(thanks for BC Ferries lady for taking it!) Great weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Hey - good to hear that Sandy Island (otherwise known as Tree Island, off the northern tip of Denman Island near Comox) is once again open to camping! It had been closed a few years ago, probably because of too many beach parties risking setting the island ablaze.

I'd rather doubt that it was sea otter poo, as sea otters are still very rare (if not non-existant) on the east side of Vancouver Island, and even anywhere off the west coast south of the Nootka area. River otters, which are quite common in the Gulf Islands and in our area of the Pacific in general, tend to maintain their own little, um, pit-stop areas (I think they're scientifically known as 'latrine sites') so it would unlikely be scattered about. I'd guess you probably saw lots of raccoon poop - they tend to leave it on rocks close to the shoreline, conveniently above the high-tide line. :roll:

Great pix!

3. elmo

elmo Paddler

Sorry no pictures but...

Launched at Genoa Bay, paddled around Cowichan Bay and the estuary, headed to Cherry Point, across to Mt. Tuam, rode the incoming tide, with the wind at my back all the way to Maple Bay. It's a 5km walk from Bird's Eye cove to Genoa Bay for guys like me who prefer not back-tracking :wink:

Really enjoyed my Monday paddle :D

4. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Had a great weekend trip on Wallace Island off Salt Spring Island...conservative paddle as it was a club paddle and the weather forecasts were iffy but was still great! Great company and ended up with mostly great weather anyway! Stayed on Wallace at Chivers Point and just did day paddles from there up around the Secretaries, over and around Tent and up the east side of Kuper, and around Wallace.

This is looking across to Jackscrew Island from Chivers Point. It poured rain all that first night!
    [​IMG]

The bay at Chivers Point
    [​IMG]

My waterfront property at Chivers
    [​IMG]

I still love my HH!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a bald eagle come down right in front of me and another woman to get a fish! He couldn't take off and ended up swimming the 50 feet to shore, rearranging the fish and then taking off! I was surprised that he could fly right away!

Saw my first moonsnails along the west side of the Secretaries....
    [​IMG]

Saw Pelagic Cormorants nesting in rock holes on the west side of Tent Island - that's a neat island!
    [​IMG]

Mushroom rock formation there too....
    [​IMG]

Here's the shell spit between Tent and Kuper - looking toward Kuper....at low tide there is no water inbetween
    [​IMG]

Zenning in the sun on Wallace...
    [​IMG]

Sunset/storm clouds from the bay
    [​IMG]

At Connover Cove we had to wedge the kayaks in between rocks and it looked rather neat when the tide went down further...
    [​IMG]

Dinner and pub night in Ganges under a great sky topped it all off!!
    [​IMG]

All of you west coast paddlers live in paradise!! Thanks for letting us visit!!! 8)

5. sludge

sludge Paddler

Great pics. Which club; SKABC ?

6. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Thanks sludge! You can't go wrong with such scenery!

The club is KCKC...Kelowna Canoe and Kayak Club... :wink:
    Kathy

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Great report, Kasey. We love Chivers, also.

8. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Of course Dave, if you are lucky to get THE SPOT for yourself.

[​IMG]

9. andreas

andreas Paddler

Hey Greg,

How was your trip?

Pictures?

10. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Andreas, Lady Rose was kaput, so we couldn't move anywhere.

[​IMG]

Just kidding. It was a great trip, but we need to wait for Willi's report as he was the trip's leader and photographer. As we speak he is recovering in the operating room in Linz after metal plate removal from his arm. He was in a bicycle accident last year and was paddling with some metal parts here and there. Now, one by one they will be removed as his bones are mending well.

Ok, ok, here is one more and my favourite:

[​IMG]

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Deers

Four humpies and three shacks ... in the Deer Group.

Longtime buddy Jan and I spent most of six days in the Deer Group, dodging rain, humpback whales, and eating ourselves silly this week, chased out by an intense weather system which drove us through Victoria on the return leg, skipping a promised pub and grub engagement with DarrenM and the lovely Tamra. We owe 'em, so I guess we should 'fess up to our errors. Next time.

Early June is a good time to be alone there. We saw six paddlers moving through and a few folks fishing and one set of mellow cruisers. Otherwise, we pretty much had it to ourselves, basecamping in the middle of the group.

Launch was from Port Desire; here's Jan contemplating a moist morning, which evolved into a bluebird day.

[​IMG]

A few miles later, Bamfield disappeared behind us, deckduck watching to make sure we were in the right spot between Sanford and Fleming Islands, a lovely shell beach to ourselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a small point for my Hubba.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Who needs a monster tent when you've got a tarp site like this one for sitting out the rain, anyway?

[​IMG]

Next day we explored up-chain through Robbers Passage, past the Port Alberni Yacht Club's outpost and a strange relic, ending in Marble Cove.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wind chased us back to camp and kept us there for a day, with Satellite Channel whipping up and lassitude consuming our energy. The weather cooperated the day following and we went down chain toward Edward King, visiting Diana, Haines, Ohiat, and Helby. This was humback and shack day. We saw four humpies, one just outside Sanford, a second one off Helby, a third between Edward King and Cape Beale, and a fourth one about one boat length off my bow in a small cove separating EK and Haines.

The latter sighting was a repeat on the same whale; we snuck back along Edward King, grazing the shore, hoping not to get over-close to this one, figuring any self-respecting whale would prefer open water to a shoreline. Nope -- it popped up between me and a shoreline boulder. Practically had to change my shorts! Sorry -- no photos. Never seen so many humpbacks in Barkley Sound.

The Ohiats have been installing 12 x 12 "cabins" onto concrete blocks (one per corner); here is the one on Kirby Point, adjacent to a Druid shrine of some sort, perhaps of clan McGritty or similar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These buildings seem a puzzle, as they are not apropos for tourism or fishcamps for hire; they seem a form of marking behavior, a thought reinforced by a hand-lettered sign next to the above structure: "Ohiat Property Keep Out." We did keep out. And were puzzled by a pair of wrecked skiffs nearby, along with the absence of Doreen and Lorrie, the longtime caretakers of Ohiat Reserve lands in this part of the Deers. Their boats were absent, and their float was in disrepair.

[​IMG]

We wonder if the Ohiats plan to develop this area themselves, or what???

This was one of two major imponderables, the other these new critters, very small black mussels, seemingly an invasive species now beginning to cover the intertidal zone and so aggressive they are even crowding out the low seaweed which has dominated the upper middle of this zone in years past.

[​IMG]

Looks like significant changes afoot in the Deers, some at the hand of mankind, and some from mussels. Here's hoping it remains a lovely place for paddlers and manifold intertidal species alike.

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

13. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

:p :oops: 8) :lol:

14. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Just one of those bad days again...paddled from Vernon to Cosin's Bay. Took about 1 h 15 m to get there, water too flat, sky too blue, too much rocky shore, too lonely...nobody else in the whole of Cosin's Bay...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I got back to the boat launch in Vernon, I paddled through a large culvert into a lagoon where there were many huge fish (carp?), turtles...

[​IMG]

families of ducks...

[​IMG]

and two long lines of aeration bubbles that I phoned the regional district out of curiosity (I thought I'd get electrocuted or something when I paddled over them!) - it's aeration to increase the metabolism of the lagoon like a fishtank! Cool! 8)

To end a rough day...at the boat launch a good-looking young guy insisted he help me load my kayak and when he left in his boat he wished me a "good'aye young lady"!

How come there are so many incredible days on the water?!
    8)

15. elmo

elmo Paddler

Because you took the time? 8)

16. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

[​IMG]

Sechelt Inlet June 6-9.

17. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Steve and I went for a paddle last Sunday from Jericho Beach, around Point Grey, to Wreck Beach for lunch. Had awesome weather and just enough sunscreen to keep us from getting a burn. :wink:

Leaving from the foot of Trimble Street:
    [​IMG]

Heading out into English Bay, the tide was out a bit so we ended up having to paddle quite a way out from the shore:
    [​IMG]

Lots of action in the Straight of Georgia:
    [​IMG]

This photo shows that it was getting a bit lumpy as we rounded Point Grey:
    [​IMG]

Approaching Wreck Beach:
    [​IMG]

A closer view:
    [​IMG]

Even closer:
    [​IMG]

Two towers on the way back (the second tower is further down the beach at the left of the photo):
    [​IMG]

The view up Howe Sound:
    [​IMG]

View of the city on the way back:
    [​IMG]

18. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Hey Dan, you mean that you couldn't get any closer to the beach? Was surf too high, or what? In case of bad landing, I'm sure that you would end up in good hands: dry towels and clothing, perhaps a cup of tea and some other pamperings.

We used to sail our hobby cat there while living in Vancouver. Fun place!

19. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

lol. We stopped and had lunch there. There was a bit of surf but it didn't create any problems coming or going.

I have to say that if it was a typical Wreck Beach day, it's nothing like previous times -- probably 60-70% of the people were clothed -- used to be the other way around. :shock:

It is one of the nicest beaches in the Vancouver area by a long shot and well worth a visit (if nudity doesn't bother you).

20. waverider

waverider Paddler

Ah come on Dan your camera has better zoom capabilities then that doesn't it? :lol:

I have not been able to get out paddling much this year so when I do get out I go for quality......and I was not disappointed.

This past weekend with the weather being as fine as it was I jumped at the opportunity to do a trip I have wanted to do for awhile now, even more now that I just bought a "wheel eez" cart.

I call it "tour du Howe Sound"

I started my journey by launching out of Horseshoe Bay Friday night at 8:30
    ( I held off from launching till the wind died down as I heard earlier of reports of 3-4 meter swells in the sound)
    So I headed out, destination Halkett Bay Provincial Park, the water had settled down to a 1 foot chop at this point.

Sunset over Howe Sound

[​IMG]

I reached the Bay about 10 mins behind schedule (10pm) but not a problem as the twilight was good, I got to the dock for the campsite and walked up to see where the sites were located , well this is were I hit a snag , I could not find them!! Ha ha apparently there is a trail that leads to them, but I was in no way going to walk back and forth unloading my gear.

Hmmm, my options were slim, so I decided to just sleep out under the stars that night on the dock, no rain was forecasted and little chance of any real dew in the morning. So out came the sleeping bag.

"Creatures of the night"

Now as some of you know I have a habit of having run ins with wildlife on my trips :? And sadly it happened again But I think/know I deserved this one , as I didn't bother closing my hatches up as I was lazy and tired and anyways I was on a dock and the kayak was right beside me.So I should be fine Right? Wrong!!

Well about 2 am I awoke for no reason but when I rolled over I glanced over at the ramp leading down to the dock and I realized that something was there that was not before!!!!! So I sat up grabbing my hunting knife and light and lite up the object, it turned out to be a very large Raccoon !!! So I swore and cursed at the fat bastard and he waddled back up the ramp....... till about 10 mins later when he slowly made his way back!!! :evil: So any ways this went on for about an hour till he finally realized he wasn't going to get my food.

The next day I paddle into Collingwood channel on my way to the Pasley Islands and then onto Keats Is. to spend the night.

Leaving Halkett Bay
    [​IMG]

As there had been and still was a wind warning for the Georgia Straight I was greeted by some great breaking waves in and around the Islands so I had lots of fun in there but did cut my visit short as I did not want to tempt fate so I headed over to Keats to paddle along the shore.
    I found a small rocky beach that would let me have just enough room for my tent at high tide, it was great watching the freighter's and cruise ships passing by off in the distance. So I took advantage of the site as camping at Plumber Cove was not something I looked forward to.

Sleeping on the edge
    [​IMG]

What the Hell is this??
    [​IMG]

Next morning I packed up and headed out and around and over to Gibsons where I made my way down to the Langdale ferry terminal for a free ride home.

[​IMG]

The "mother ship" that fits my budget
    [​IMG]

I almost got screwed when I got to the dock there as you can see from the picture there was not much room to take-out.

Oh oh!
    [​IMG][/b]

total distance: 41 kms