WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? June 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by rider, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

A shoeless foot? :lol: :shock: :wink:

(It's a sea cucumber.)

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yup; looks like he's been dead for a while and a bit beaten up. They normally live on the ocean floor, so we don't usually see them until they're dead or close to it (although sometimes they'll get washed up by stormy weather, or maybe they just get lost on occasion - I've seen a few on the beach that looked quite healthy). When they're alive, the ones we get are usually a deep red colour or even purple, not the sort of washed-out pinky one you found. It looks quite dead. BTW, and I haven't tried this, but they are edible (not by me, thanks - I do have my limits!).

3. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

I took my kayak down to Idaho and had a paddle on lake Pend Oreille. It's just a big ass lake with a little bit of a wind problem in the mornings. It's surrounded by huge cliffs and small dock towns and it's nestled far away from civilization. I put in at a well used boat launch and paddled out into a couple of bays close by. The first bay I visited I ended up pulling the boat ashore just to sit there and relax. One of my more zen moments in kayaking. The lake gets pretty busy later in the day, and it's so huge people are hauling out their twin diesel yachts for a bit of recreation. The lake is something like 40 miles long and about 1100 feet deep in places. Pretty neat place and a welcome addition to my roadtrip. :)

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blogged below

-Rich

4. elmo

elmo Paddler

Not my photo but I ate lunch here today :)

[​IMG]

Donaldson Island in the distance.

daniel

5. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

[​IMG]

Nelson Island, June 20-22

6. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

7. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Wet Elvis and I headed out after work yesterday to an area in the Juan de Fuca Strait just outside Esquimalt Harbour where the tallships were anchored before arriving in Victoria Harbour today.

At the put in: algae reminiscent of anti-freeze makes me think twice about getting near the water!
    [​IMG]

I had hopes of getting lots of photos of all the ships as they continued to arrive, but significant winds hampered our progress a bit. The most distant ship was the US Coast Guard 'Eagle', anchored well off-shore, so we headed towards it and straight into the wind, blowing at 20-25kts.

[​IMG]

As we slowly made our way out, the tallship 'Adventuress' sailed in behind us. The Adventuress managed to escape damage on Monday after running aground in the San Juan Islands.
    [​IMG]

A local Coast Guard (or harbour patrol? I'm not sure!) Zodiac zooms in to make sure we're ok, as we battle the wind and waves in the Strait. Wet Elvis seems to have a way of attracting 'officials' in this area - we never seem to be able to paddle anywhere near Victoria Harbour without being approached.
    [​IMG]

After more than an hour of slogging into the wind, we'd almost completed the 2.5km distance to the Eagle.
    [​IMG]

Wet Elvis paddles under the bow for some photos as the Eagle's anchor chains strain against the wind.
    [​IMG]

Paddling down the side of the Eagle, we reached the stern and were invited aboard by a female crew member. We mulled it over, but climbing aboard (and getting back in the kayaks later!) would have been difficult in these seas.
    [​IMG]

A Canadian navy 'personnel launch' cuts through the chop en route to the Eagle.
    [​IMG]

Paddling away from the Eagle, we head west towards Esquimalt Lagoon where more tallships sit at anchor nearer shore. Wet Elvis enjoys cruising along in the light surf amid the evening light.
    [​IMG]

We arrive at the Bounty, which was built in 1960 for MGM's movie, 'Mutiny on the Bounty', starring Marlon Brando. Strangely, there was not a soul on deck as we paddled around the 180 foot Full Rig ship.
    [​IMG]

Before heading back to Fleming Beach (or is it Phlegm beach, with all the green slime!) I take one last shot towards the Bounty with a few other tallships in the background.
    [​IMG]

The Victoria Tallship Festival, this weekend in Victoria Harbour, should prove to be an exciting event!

8. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

So that's where you were heading when you passed me on my way home from work. :D

9. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

Nice photos for such a bumpy day. Thanks. Probably about as close as I'll get to them although we plan to be on Whidbey Island this weekend for some paddling time.

Craig

10. andreas

andreas Paddler

2 nights on raccoon island...

On Thursday morning I picked up Elmo for a two nighter on Portland Island. Was kind of a windy day, but to our surprise we only got hit by short and steep swells coming from Haro Strait, but no wind! Overall a nice paddle.

This outing was also Elmos first camping trip with his new kayak! What a sweet looking boat :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didn't take long till we met our new neighbors...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to a clear sky we had a incredible view of the night sky! Don't think I only got up to see the stars, nope, at the same time (5 times to be exact) I had some interesting meetings with the neighbors.... I couldn't believe that they smelled the bread through the dry bag and closed hatch cover! They tried reaaly hard and in a noisy way to get to it.... I'm sure they can't scratch their way through the fiberglass hatch cover, but to avoid damage to them we turned the boat up side down.
    The next day I made sure that the raccoons I found snoozing in trees, are getting as little sleep as I got :lol: A kick at the sleeping tree every 5 or 10 minutes worked quite well :twisted:
    [​IMG]

Trying out the zoom on my Canon S1 camera
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After another noisy night with campers arriving in the middle of the night I left camp this morning by 6.30am and enjoyed a really quiet paddle back without seeing or hearing any power boats :D

Cheers,

[​IMG]

11. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

I just spent the week at Green Lake in the South Cariboo. The water is really quite green; it reminded me of Widgeon Creek. One could easily see the bottom 10 meters off shore.

Here's the view from our digs for the week:

[​IMG]

Looking southwest down the lake:

[​IMG]

Lots of dead pine:

[​IMG]

Lots of loons and ducks:

[​IMG]

Took my daughter out in something called a "canoe":

[​IMG]

Back home. I can't stop anywhere without someone asking about the boat. If Daren had a website I could send all the admirers his way.

[​IMG]

12. Roy

Roy Paddler

I hope you tied that down before you drove away!!!

13. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

I have numerous Iron bars that I put into the bottom of the boat that secure the boat to the roof via several electro-magnets that run off the car's battery. :lol:

14. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

Went out to tofino for surfing and I brought the Kayak to get out to clayoquot sound. Sunday morning was going to be the day to kayak because of the tides and the slightly lower temps. Had a great time even though I totally missed my original target of Lemmans Inlet and instead went up to the north part of Vargas. The water was even and glassy pretty much the whole way. It was just a great day on the water. Here's a few shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blogged below with more photos.

-Rich

15. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Richard, you grabbed off some promo paddling water up there; just west along the N shore of Vargas another 2 miles or so from your farthest point is Dick and Janes Beach, which would have been much tamer than what you surfed the day before. Next time, take some overnight gear and hit D and J's. I think you will really like it.

Tofino is really kayak-friendly, to my tastes. Cool place. Check out Mary Ann Snowden's guide for other options for day paddles, going up to the right instead of over to Vargas.

16. elmo

elmo Paddler

Threw my kayak on the bike trailer and went for a peddle-paddle. Yesterday I found out what 30 knot winds off the strait of Juan de Fuca can do. Won't be trying that again any time soon.

I made it around Possesion Point and was headed to Beechey Head when it got really ugly. The wind suddenly got cold and changed direction... then all hell broke loose.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Turned around and went back to Sooke Harbour. Camped on a beach in the harbour overnight and then surfed/braced my way across the upper harbour and paddled back to the lovely and tranquil Roche Cove this morning.

Tonight I'll admire my bulging biceps in the mirror for awhile, and then to bed for some much deserved sleepy-time. :lol:

Taasiilaq, my new/old kayak performed admirably. This is the one I wanted all along. :)

daniel

17. waverider

waverider Paddler

Spent an evening on the water off of Blackie Spit practicing my "other side rolls" and much more and was treated to a classic Blackie Spit sun set. 8) [​IMG]

18. Jill

Jill Paddler

Bob and I spent 3 days and 2 nights paddling Stave Lake. About 70 kms.
    [​IMG]

Looking up the lake from the boat launch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mt. Robie Reid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clearwater Bay
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of lake
    [​IMG]
    Upper Stave River

[​IMG]
    Raimo and crew touring in style.

19. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

20. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Beautiful photos, Kheyashunka. You really put me there.