WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? June 2009

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Comoxpaddler, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Just returned from the first day of the Puntledge River Whitewater Paddlefest. OK, so it's not sea kayaking; but I was really impressed by the skills of these guys in their skittish little boats. Tried a couple of runs, once at a lower then at a higher flow rate. Wiped out in front of a large group of strong young paddlers waiting to play at one of the features (there is a much younger demographic than amongst sea kayakers), all of whom seemed to know that I was some strange old sea kayak type on whitewater for the first time. Thankfully hit my roll so didn't look like a prat.

Swam later and found out that these guys have very good rescue skills, too.

Must admit I was surprised by how welcoming this crowd were. I was expecting a rather clannish affair but not a bit of it.

Damn, another boat I need............

2. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

lol! This is also something I want to try. Maybe a WCP river weekend? (I'd want a guide or instructor :lol: :lol: :lol: )

3. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

On one of those beautiful warm (hot) evenings, we went for a mid-week paddle from the Oak Bay marina. Once we nosed our boats outside of the breakwater, we decided to head right, and hugging the shore, paddled around to Ross Bay and back. Just an wonderful evening, slight breeze in our faces and calm water. Lots of people along the shore, cooling off after another hot day. Round trip was about 13 km and the beer was still cold in the cooler upon our return. :)

4. rider

rider Paddler

Did the Bowen Challenge. Finished last of those who finished( at least one guy didn't) Something like 8 people in the Sea Kayak category. Did the race in a rental Prijon SeaYak. time : 4:55. Pretty easy sea, except wicked headwind for last 3 miles or so. Good times. Good barbecue.

5. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Impressive, Rider. Average 3.7 knots maintained over 5 hours in a standard sea kayak.

6. AM

AM Paddler

Congrats, Rider, on doing the race. I've toyed with doing it for the last few years, but have never followed through.

I have a couple of logistical questions: how did you decide what to wear? Did you plan on stopping for pee/clothing change breaks?

Regards,
    Andrew

7. rider

rider Paddler

:) Another guy off this board , Ron, I believe, who paddles a red Telkwa beat me by an hour, much more impressive.
    I wore a shortie farmer john style wetsuit over my long sleeve shirt and pants. The suit unzips all the way. I was probably the heaviest dressed guy, I don't think anybody else had any neoprene on up top,though several in neo shorts. With support boats nearby at nearly all times, no real need for immersion protection,and water was fairly warm( i did 2 rolls after crossing the finish line).
    I planned to make at least one stop to take a leak but never needed to. The total time i took for all 2 breaks was about 5 mins-one minute to gulp down some water(hydration pack with hose=advantage. me=not prepared) and then 4 mins to gulp the rest of the water and eat 2 kashi bars.
    I had a bag with spare clothes, but mostly for after-race.
    If I do it again, i'll try harder:)

8. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

That's impressive rider. Did you do any kind of training to prepare? There is just no way I could be in a kayak for 5 hours, without getting out to stretch and walk around a couple times.

9. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

I went for an overnighter on Discovery last Thursday. It was a just a bit cooler than on Wednesday so it was perfect. I had the whole island to myself.

Highlights included:

Watching a blue heron try and eat an eel, it took it at least fifteen minutes. Every time the bird tried to gulp it down, the eel would coil around the herons beak.

Aircraft carrier sized mosquitoes that descended in a thick cloud at dusk, seemingly out of nowhere. At one point, I had to put my mesh bag over my head, bee keeper style, in order to operate my stove and keep my face from becoming a swollen, unrecognizable mass of mosquito bites.

Running down the beach in my undies, during the middle of the night to lash my kayak securely to the logs against the gale that blew in.

Staking out the tent in said undies followed shortly after.

All in all, it was a fantastic little trip.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Umm, mesh bee-keeper's hat and undies. That leaves a lot of territory for the skeeters! :shock:

11. RobP

RobP Paddler

Did a short 3 day two night trip to Portland and Rum Island, then spent a couple of days test paddling kayaks out of False Creek

Rob

12. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Mostly paddled from English Bay to Jericho yesterday - sailing only the last quarter mile or so. Which was good, cos it partially offset the double scoop ice cream cone I had there.
    I sailed back upwind at varying speeds with the light and variable wind. Got up to 3 knots at one point (pretty good for upwind). There's something very fun about feeling yourself go faster towards your destination the faster the wind the wind blows against you.
    However the winds mostly blew light, so I landed at English Bay at what we would politely call a stately pace (barely had steerage way on).
    Just after I landed, the wind blew up strong and steady. I cursed until I realized I had lots of daylight left. So I put back in, tacked upwind for a bit, then came about, set all three sails for the downwind run, and relanded at a much more satisfactory 4.4 knots.
    But the neatest thing about the day was seeing an otter in the water as I landed the first time. I saw him dive twice, so I was able to be sure about the tail. I was chatting with some of the regulars at the beach, and they say a family of otters seem to have established themselves somewhere in Stanley Park. Otters in the city! Cool!

13. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i was out in the southern gulf islands solo for six days june 7-13. saw three otters fishing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a few oysters frying: :wink:
    [​IMG]

Daren...

14. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

You really seem to like Rum Island! :lol:

Is it a bad sign that I can ID a camping spot that easily? :? :oops:

15. sludge

sludge Paddler

Whoa. Was that a full size fuel canister there?

16. paddlesores

paddlesores Paddler

My wife and I spent the last week paddling up in Desolation Sound. Took off from Lund and spent two nights at Melville Island in Prideaux Haven, and then paddled up Waddington Channel and spent the next two nights on the north shore of the entrance to Toba Inlet. We then cut across the north side of West Redonda Island and spent a night on the south end of Rendezvous Island. We then came down Lewis Channel for our last night at Kinghorn Island before returning to Lund. The waterfalls in Toba make the trip worthwhile on their own but the scenery was spectacular every day.

Islets in Prideaux Haven
    [​IMG]

Sunset over Waddington Channel
    [​IMG]

Walsh Cove Marine Park
    [​IMG]

Toba Inlet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waterfall in Toba Inlet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bay on SW point of Rendezvous Island
    [​IMG]

Sunset from Kinghorn Island
    [​IMG]

Doug

17. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i do, Mark. i really do. :D i had the island to myself three out of four nights. during the week, mind you.

not at all. just shows you're paying attention. however; that old piling is a dead give-away.

i made an error in judgement on this trip, and i'm willing to admit it.

i paddle solo a lot. and i mostly make allowences for that in safety issues. you know; don't paddle on the open side of islands. long crossings early in the day to avoid the wind. stuff like that. well i screwed up on this one. i left Swartz bay at 1130 and took the route around the south side of Forrest Island. wwwweeeeeeellllll; the wind came up. the last leg from Forrest to Gooch was a white knuckle, paddle 'smart' ride. wind waves breaking over your head ain't a lot of fun when you're solo. i made Rum at about 1500, set up camp, and had a drink. (i may have those last two out of order. :lol: )

[​IMG]
    i could do without those damned tent platforms.

Daren.......

18. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

227gram (net) fuel canister.
    the fry-pan is 6 1/2" diameter.
    the rice/veggies dish is rehydrating off camera.
    i used a Snow Peak GS100 on this trip, to test others' theories. they win. it's very efficient. i used 165 grams of fuel for 6 days/5nights. that's less than 1 ounce (by weight) of fuel per day.

Daren....

19. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

where did you find the oysters? Are they red tide susceptible?

20. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

yes they are. but the DFO website said it was clear that week.