WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? June 2010

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mark_Schilling, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

The first really decent day in a long while prompted Judy and I to take the boats and head on up to the mountains. We stopped in a Beauvais Lake Provincial Park (West of Pincher Creek) but the wind was blasting down the lake and it really didn't look like a "pleasant" day so onwards to Beaver Mines Lake. This lake is quite close to the Castle Mountain Resort (CMR) and is higher in altitude but about the same size.

Naturally we had to take some photos just to prove that paddling in Alberta isn't all about dugouts, sloughs, and irrigation "lakes".

Forestry Services Campground (c/w bear warnings)

You can't see me! (Loon on her nest)

Lots of geese

Quite the backdrop

Scouts Canada Camp Impeesa

Dizzy and the obligatory stick that must go with water.

"One" and "Two"

After Diz has his swim you have to go for a walk to dry him off before getting back in the car. Some of the Eastern Flank of the Rocky Mountains.

Attached Files:

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

On Saturday, a small group of us paddled out from McNeill Bay in Oak Bay (Victoria) heading west, towards the multitudes of naval vessels anchored just outside of Esquimalt Harbour. As we drew near we were treated by shows from a few military transport planes, and finally an F-15 and the Canadian Snowbirds Air Demonstration Team.

The USS Ronald Reagan, a Nimitz Class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, shares the rank (with other Nimitz-class supercarriers) of the largest naval vessel in the world. We didn't get very close before they picked up anchor, but I managed to snap a few photos from a distance.

Zoomed in a bit, you can see a military strike aircraft (F-15?) and a few transport helicopters amongst the seamen on a small portion of its fore-deck.

We stopped for lunch at a small beach near the Odgen Point breakwater, where Mike Jackson and Blondie spent a bit of time cooling off and enjoying the weather while practicing various techniques.

We paddled back, enjoying a reasonably strong flood current, on a warm, cloudless summer day.

Back at McNeill Bay, Blondie and I played around for a while as I enjoyed my new drysuit. The camera was mounted primarily on the fore-deck of the Pygmy Arctic Tern 14, which made for some great action shots as Blondie performed some rolls, static braces and other 'tricks'.

Attached Files:

3. Greg

Greg Paddler

Wow, that's impressive. It's kind of like when Batman and Robin jump into the bat mobile :lol:

Attached Files:

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Hmmmm. I sense PhotoShop here! :wink:

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

I was considering along the lines of "So You Think You Can Dance"!

6. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Nope! Only some very basic cropping, rotating and colour correction. Nothing has been added to the photo - honest true! She really is that good! :shock:

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Wow! I am totally impressed! I suspect Blondie must be channeling a trained seal to get that much vert out of the water!

8. nootka

nootka Paddler

Ah, but the prose might be a bit shady, specifically regarding the flow of time.

9. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

See....? Even the US navy knows your reputation for ramming boats. You chased them away! :lol:

10. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I managed to get out last weekend for a solo trip to Indian Arm. Paddled up to Granite Falls from Deep Cove on Friday evening -- left at about 9:15PM and arrived at the falls shortly after midnight and was quite surprised to see all the tents at the campsite. By Saturday afternoon, the population at Granite Falls had nearly tripled and there were more than 30 kayaks -- and nearly half of them were doubles! The campsite was certainly crowded but everyone was quite cool and respected everyone else and no one left anything behind. On Sunday morning, I got up around 8:30 and half the people had already left -- by 10:00AM I had the campsite to myself for a couple of hours before I departed on my way home.

Despite a crowded campsite, the weekend was quite good.

Attached Files:

11. AM

AM Paddler

Dan, did you notice how many people were camped out at Berg's Landing?

12. Dan_Millsip

I didn't stop at Berg's Landing on the way up or down but I noticed only one light from the campground as I paddled past at 11:00 on Friday night. A group of scouts arrived at Granite Falls on Saturday and it was their light that I saw -- they said they were the only ones there on Friday. I don't know about Saturday night.

13. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

Berg's is a much much bigger campground than Granite Falls and is often empty while Granite is packed. I prefer Berg's because of this. Even with a lot of people there is room to spread out.

14. Dan_Millsip

Yes, Bergs is larger, but not nearly as scenic and nice. I've also seen Bergs full of power boaters as well.

15. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

I actually prefer Berg's to Granite. It doesn't have the waterfall but aside from that I find it nicer and more scenic.

If the power boaters have the south end taken up go to the north side of the creek. I've rarely seen people there and there are a few nice spots.

16. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Stylin'!! :big_thumb
    Candikayak on Okanagan Lake training for a contest with kayakwriter! ;)

Attached Files:

17. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Bring it, Mary Poppins!
    See you at the next WCP campout!

18. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I have fond memories of trying out 'umbrella sailing' on my first multi-day kayaking trip, up Indian Arm with Dan, Darren_M and a few others. Great fun! :)

After getting a bit of a late start yesterday, I finally managed to get out for an afternoon paddle from Jordan River heading west. The skies were largely overcast, the weather cool with a stiff breeze from the west. Encountering more current than I thought was possible in the area, I didn't cover a lot of distance but it did give me a taste of the area, since I've never really explored much by sea (we hiked the Juan de Fuca Trail last year, from Jordan River (roughly) to Port Renfrew). It's a route I'd really like to cover by kayak, possibly later this year.

The dull skies and building seas made for poor photography overall, but I was able to catch a few shots of some fun features. I encountered more than a couple of great "blow holes" in the rocks, and many wonderful caves (although most were too small to paddle in, especially considering the conditions).

I've got to make a full day trip to the area soon, and a longer trip is definitely on the list as well!

Attached Files:

19. Kayaking Chemist

Kayaking Chemist Paddler

My husband and I did a day trip from Deep Cove to Granite Falls and back last Saturday. Dan: if you were around between 1:30 and 2:30, we probably saw you there. When we left, there were 22 kayaks on the beach (and that doesn't include people who were camping, but had gone out for a paddle). We met up with 6 more (5 of them doubles) on our return; all were headed to Granite Falls. We did see a few people at Berg's landing, though not nearly as many as Granite Falls. I've never seen it so packed (even on a long weekend) and I've never seen so much water in the falls (and we've been there at pretty much every time of the year).

We're heading to God's Pocket over Canada Day weekend and then we're planning to circumnavigate Broughton Island in early August. I'm very much looking forward to both trips!

20. nootka

nootka Paddler

I got out for a paddle near town today.

Attached Files:

• 1610.jpg
      1610.jpg
      File size:
      73 KB
      Views:
    • 1618.jpg
      1618.jpg
      File size: