WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? June 2010

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mark_Schilling, Jun 6, 2010.

1. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Hi everyone. I'm a new paddler . Only got my kayak last week. Have taken my maiden voyage on Slocan lake and this was my 2nd daytrip. Hopefully within a few weeks i'll do an overnight with my hammock but for now here is a little trip report i did over at HF. Enjoy
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... hp?t=18849

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Terrific shots nootka. Some nice photos there too, mbiraman -- look forward to seeing more pictures from your area.

Maddie and I paddled up the Fraser yesterday (last night) from Fort Langley for about an hour and then headed back the way we came -- at a much faster pace as we were going with the flow of the river instead of paddling against it. We saw a half dozen beavers altogether, but unfortunately, they were gone before I got the camera out or there wasn't enough light to get a good shot -- next time perhaps.

Attached Files:

3. paddlesores

paddlesores Paddler

Last week my wife and I put in at Egmont, on the Sunshine Coast of BC, and paddled up Jervis Inlet and into Princess Louisa Inlet. We had been wanting to go see Chatterbox Falls at the head of Princess Louisa Inlet for a few years and finally made the trip. Without the tips from John Kimantas’ books this paddle would have been a lot more difficult. Paddling with the tides we were able to make pretty good time up Jervis and back again, even when the wind was against us. Took two days to reach the campsite at Chatterbox Falls, and then we relaxed a bit and took four days making our way back to Egmont.

Impressive mountain views paddling up Jervis Inlet. These are called the Marlborough Heights, near the top of the Prince of Wales Reach eastern shore.

A rest break on the north shore of Queen’s Reach, waiting for slack in order to pass through Malibu Rapids at the entrance to Princess Louisa Inlet.

Paddling in Princess Louisa Inlet.

Couple pics of Chatterbox Falls.

Paddling past another waterfall in Princess Louisa Inlet.

Waiting out the flood current at Malibu Rapids in order to start back down Jervis.

McMurray Bay campsite. Nicest camping site of the whole trip, including the sites at the Princess Louisa Marine Park.

The day we got back to Egmont we found out that Skookumchuck was flooding at 13.3 knots so we then hiked down to see it. A few paddlers put on an impressive show. We sat and watched these guys and girl for a couple hours. I had seen videos of this before but seeing it firsthand, how much water is moving through here, and the power it contains, is incredible.

Doug

Attached Files:

4. AM

AM Paddler

Cool trip report, Doug. I've toyed with the idea of doing that trip for several years. I appreciate the shot of the McMurray Bay site. Could you please tell us where else you camped and what you thought of the other sites?

Thanks,
    Andrew

5. blondie

blondie Paddler

Yes, thank you paddlesores! I had also toyed with the idea of this trip for years. I don't know if I will ever do it, but now I feel like I've had a sneak peek! It's always something to be paddling alongside such steep walls of rock, rising right out of the water. :cool

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Loved the pictures, Doug. We've got 3 nights booked at one of the Backeddy's cabins for late July and are looking forward to some mild paddling around Egmont and a hike to see the Skook also.

7. paddlesores

paddlesores Paddler

Thanks all. The reason we waited so long to do this trip was probably because Jervis Inlet didn’t have the ‘wow’ factor of other west coast destinations. With only so much time available to us a year for trips there always seemed to be a more exciting option available. Jervis ended up being a beautiful paddle, not one we would probably repeat in the near future, but Princess Louisa Inlet made it all worthwhile. The cliffs and waterfalls in this inlet were incredible. Late May or earlier in June would probably have had even more waterfalls running but there must have been close to 25 that we saw in Princess Louisa alone.

We used three different campsites on this trip.

Nights 1 and 3 were spent at the south western end, north shore, of Princess Royal Reach.
    N50 01.233 W123 57.894
    Good beach but most of it disappeared at high tide. Couldn’t find any spot to put a tent in the brush without major clearing work. We set up right against the brush and had the water lapping at the stone breakwater we put in front of the tent. The tide that night was 15.1 ft. No fresh water available here but there were a couple of dry creek beds that may run earlier in the season. This site ended up being the exact halfway point to Chatterbox Falls.

Night 2 was spent at the marine park right at Chatterbox Falls. You can’t beat the views here. Originally we had planned to spend a few nights here but the mosquitoes were so bad we ducked out after one night. The sites at Chatterbox are set back in the trees and don’t get much sun. The sites next to MacDonald Island (partway down Princess Louisa Inlet) would get more sun. Lots of fresh water creeks available at Chatterbox end.

Nights 4 and 5 were spent at the McMurray Bay site.
    N49 58.224 W124 00.551
    Beautiful waterfall and deep fresh water pool right beside the camp area. The tides weren’t quite as high when we were here but you probably wouldn’t want to set up far from the bush line. Worst case scenario, there is a short trail up into the bush that takes you to a nice clearing where the remnants of a cabin and shed are.

Doug

Attached Files:

8. Whidbey

Whidbey Paddler

I went for my first long paddle with our local kayaking club. We paddled this route yesterday: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl ... b3cfd153eb

It was alot of fun, though I am quite sore today. I made a bad decision to leave my carved foam seat in my car and sit on a thermarest seat... never again! Also, my right wrist is very sore and swollen, not sure why. And of course, sunburn. But, it was worth it!

I didn't take many pictures as I only had my cell phone with me, but here's a couple.

Attached Files:

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Ouch! I learned my lesson within 1/2 hour of first using the thermarest seat. They've now been consigned to car camping kit although I suppose they'd be useful to take along (space permitting) if I ever go kayak camping.

10. stuckonearth

stuckonearth Paddler

I am unable to paddle because I am recovering from an injury but looking at all the photos here makes it a lot more bearable to be off the water. Thanks everyone for posting your about your trips.

11. Dan_Millsip

I got out Thursday evening for a sunset paddle at Crescent Beach with Maddie and ebluethner. A fantastic sunset for sure.

Attached Files:

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

We five Astorians did a circuit around West Sand Island, near Ilwaco, WA, just inside the Columbia River Bar today: Dave, Becky, Belinda, Terry, and Bruce, the first two in our double, and the others in singles. Sand Island is a relict portion of Oregon which migrated north to nearly kiss the WA shore as a result of jetty modification of sand deposition over the last century. The route follows the Ilwaco channel out past the USCG Cape Disappointment Motor Lifeboat School, to the end of Jetty A (fun rip there on the right conditions), swinging left, up the river and away from the bar, around pile dikes to a lunch spot at the upper end of West Sand. The return is in placid, thin water in Baker Bay, rounding the island on its north side. Timing this for the beginning of the flood makes for an easy paddle, with barely enough water to transit Baker Bay.

Route:

An eagle on the pile dike skittered off as Bruce got some good shots. We watched.

On the return, the singles spread out and we stalked them.

Terry, at rest, USCG MPBS in background

Later in the harbor we got an up close view of one of their 47 ft surf boats after it towed in a sailboat with pot warp snagged in its prop. Very skookum boat!

Attached Files:

13. nootka

nootka Paddler

Brown Bay to Kainish Bay

How's this for an unusual breakwater?
    It's at Brown Bay, north of Campbell River.

The sky was very grey when I launched, with a slight fog on the water.

Two of the Chained Islands.

Looking south to the Chained Islands.

Looking south to Seymour Narrows.

Brown Bay is a good launch point. Free daily parking, overnight parking is $3, they have a restaurant. Only 5km on a gravel road. Beach is mainly sand. Be aware of currents.

Attached Files:

14. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

For some reason i'm having trouble getting my pics to post so here's another day trip report and pics from a trip i did on Slocan Lake last week via the link below. Hopefully i'll be able to post straight to here soon.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... hp?t=18988

15. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Great pictures, Mbira.... we'll be at Riondel on Kootenay for the first three weeks of August... pretty similar scenery over there too. Give a holler if you find time to make a drive over; I'm sure we can hook up for a day or so. There's nice municipal campground right across the street from where we stay and right on the lake.

16. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Fishing Buddy and I were all over Esquimalt harbour on Sunday for 6 hours. We launched from Esquimalt Lagoon and headed round The light house and explored all of the harbour looking for fish and crab. Caught no fish but did get four crab that were not of legal size! On the way back(6pm) we had a rough time getting back around the lighthouse with 20-25 mph winds trying to blow us back into the Harbour! That was my first challenging experience out in big water! 2 1/2 to 3' waves. Easy to do in the Ocean Kayak 13' fishing kayaks we have that are super stable!

17. Dan_Millsip

I managed to get one more paddle into the month of June before the calendar flipped over to Canada Day -- I took a friend who had never been a kayak before up the Nicomekl River.

Attached Files:

18. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Tootsal; i'll keep it in mind. Hoping to get out to Kootenay lake this week, if the weather behaves.

19. Lindy

Lindy Paddler

We've spent the past winter & summer kayaking around the Southern Gulf Islands as they are so accessbile to us. Only day trips so far due to work demands. I am always overwhelmed at the end of each day at the beauty that is literally right out our front door and we have some amazing photos. These ones of a day trip we took on Father's day with our kids (posing in front of Limberis Oysters) and grandson on his first trip at 11 months old seem a bit extra special!

Attached Files:

• 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      285.8 KB
      Views:
    • 057.JPG
      057.JPG
      File size:
      292.4 KB
      Views:
    • 054.JPG