Where did you paddle - June 2015

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by stagger, Jun 7, 2015.

1. stagger

stagger Paddler

Just got back from a great weekend with my daughters on Shuswap Lake, at the Anstey View marine access campsite. I'll post a slightly longer report in a bit, but I wanted to kick off the June thread & hear what y'all have been up to.

2. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Didn't do much paddling this weekend, but helped a few people with layback hand rolls and a few different forward finishing rolls coaching at SSTIKS.

The one person I had a hard time helping was Melissa. She could chest scull and come back upright, but couldn't recover from a reverse sweep. Never could figure out how someone can recover from a chest scull, but not from a reverse sweep as the recovery is the same from both.

3. LAM

LAM Paddler

Doug and I were also at SSTIKS this weekend. It was fantastic. Great people, great weather and a great location. Had a real good time. I worked on refining my standard Greenland roll, high bracing and forward strokes. I did a few wet exits (on purpose!) and a cowboy re-entry. Starting to get pretty comfortable in my little black qajaq.

Lila

4. M2G

M2G Paddler

Nothing spectacular, but it’s the 25th and we can’t let the June thread get off so easily.

Relaxing paddle on Discovery Bay

-------

Yesterday two friends and myself went on a late morning paddle into Discovery Bay, located on the southeast edge of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

There was no destination for this paddling trip. Just a few hours on the water to explore part of the bay’s eastern shoreline, to get more time into two new boats, and to simply share time on the water near home.

The two new boats were my friend’s recently and beautifully completed Pygmy Selkie and my own Valley Aquanaut LV. I purchased her brand new as a discontinued model from a lesser known kayak dealer in the Puget Sound region.

Leaving from a private launch within the Cape George community, we paddled south into Discovery Bay against a slight ebbing tide, around Beckett Point and beyond.

The marine forecast for the area told of a weakening storm front approaching from the west with the potential for 1-3ft seas and winds from 10-20 knots.

The water and winds were calm on our way out. On the way back, as the storm front progressed, the winds came up to about 15 knots as we approached Beckett Point and it rained for a short time. Within 30 minutes, all was calm once again, for the rest of our paddle.

3 hours 15 minutes, counting a stop on the shore for a snack. 7.5 NM

Wildlife sightings were the usual suspects for our home waters. An eagle making tight circles 15 feet above the bay, seeking lunch. A pair of harbor porpoise out toward Protection Island. An otter running along the shore. A great blue heron, annoyed by our advance, a young belted kingfisher that followed us for over an hour and a sea lion of sorts.

Cheers.

A few photos with captions:

5. michaelmrc

michaelmrc Paddler

well this month did quite a few different paddles but this last weekend was probably my most majestic. headed over to hornby island for the weekend do some camping and some paddling. my uncle used to own a cabin over there when we were kids so have spent a lot of time over the years on this beautiful island. decided that i was going to paddle around the island and for those unfamiliar with hornby island its approx 35km in circumference. planned out my route checked the wind forecast for saturday and prepared for an amazing trip. saturday morning headed out approx 8am from tribune bay heading clockwise around the island. saw so much incredible wildlife pictures just dont do it justice. backside of the island was fairly protected from the 15-25kn northwest winds that were predicted out in the georgia strait. came around the point nearing fords cove only to get blasted with 25 kn winds and 4 ft chop right on the nose. grunted my way through this for about an hour and a half until i rounded the north side of hornby now the winds were approx 15kn on my rear quarter much nicer paddle all the rest of the way with a nice push. the entire circumnavigation of the island took about 6 hrs but this included the photo stops. hope you enjoy the pics as much as i enjoyed the trip.

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Great photos, michael!

Love the harlequins.

7. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Great pics, nice day trip. Love the submarine with a sail ;)

8. michaelmrc

michaelmrc Paddler

ya the submarine with a sail well owner has had better days. anchored too close to shore at high tide. tide went out boat went over tide came in and filled it back up. on a plus note he did manage with some help to get the boat drained and refloating so hopefully he didnt do too much damage.

9. stagger

stagger Paddler

Finally wrote this up. Full TR here. (Warning: not exciting in the least.)