WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? March 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by sushiy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Just returned from a week of leisurely paddling, eating, lounging, and exploration of the mangrove islands off Sanibel Island, Florida Gulf Coast, near Ft. Myers. Nice and warm; returned to slush and snow. Trip as guests of friends who live winters on a 30 ft houseboat, the mothership for access to the Ding Darling USFWS Refuge there. Unbelievably productive area, with biomass per hectare manyfold times what we see up here: fish, birds, algae, plants.

Oh, yeah, and hurricanes, too!

Photos here: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/sanibel08

Captions to come later.

This one is a spiral of egg casings from a whelk, running maybe an inch acros and 15-20 inches long, on the sandy beach.

[​IMG]

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Nice Dave! looks like a fun time was had by all.

I recognize this hoodlum!

[​IMG] :wink:

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I resemble that!

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

That's a strange looking bear. Please give us the details.

5. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

That is called "art" Dan.

:lol:

It was cut out of metal I think.

6. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

I think it's called "target practice" :lol:

7. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

Mississippi.. 3/19

Take what I can get on the midcoast.. I did six rolls , a dozen static braces, and this low brace skull for the camera on the edge of the ice.

[​IMG]

8. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Went on a sunny Sunday paddle with a few members of PIKA. Paddled from Cates Park to the Ironworkers Memorial bridge and back.

Heading out from Cates Park:
    [​IMG]

Hard to believe it was snowing the day before:
    [​IMG]

Approaching the bridge:
    [​IMG]

A fishing lodge based out of Prince Rupert was in the Allied Shipyard drydock getting some work done:
    [​IMG]

End of the line at the Seymour River:
    [​IMG]

At the mouth of the Seymour River and almost directly beneath the bridge is a movie lot. We thought it would make a good spot for a lunch stop. We talked to one of the supervisors and got permission to be there:
    [​IMG]t

A very elaborate set has been built to simulate a 1930s warehouse district:
    [​IMG]

Pierre auditioning for the lead role in an upcoming musical:
    [​IMG]

Taking a walk on one of the streets. An interesting fact is that a lot of the set is constructed from styrofoam -- bricks, stone, window frames just to name a few things:
    [​IMG]

Another part of the lot. The supervisor told us that several movies including some starring Antonio Banderas, Salma Heyak, and other well known actors have been filmed on this location:
    [​IMG]

Heading back out on the water:
    [​IMG]

After leaving the film lot, we paddled around the marina directly below the bridge:
    [​IMG]

A very large ship:
    [​IMG]

The pictures that weren't taken: On the way back there was a lot of current and a great deal of opposing wind just east of the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge. 3 of us decided to play around in the large waves that had formed. After some very exhilarating surfing, I had a nasty broach and opportunity to test the waterproofness of my drysuit. :oops:

Arriving back at Cates Park:
    [​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for a terrific day!

9. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I got out in the gratifyingly bustery weather yesterday afternoon, lauching from English Bay.
    Footage with my new Pentax and camera mount here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4qBP9OhFNQ

The "Thank You" in Japanese you can hear on the soundtrack is not me thanking Neptune for a safe launch, but thanking a passing Japanese tourist who helped launch me. (BTY, Sushy - how is my Japanese pronoucation?)

Cheers,

Philip

10. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Not bad at all, but just don't use it as a learning tool :wink: .

I am looking forward to paddling tomorrow. Weather says it will be the best day in weeks here in Seattle, sunglass and sun screen required.

11. waverider

waverider Paddler

I too got out yesterday afternoon, put in at Blackie spit and headed out to practice in the chop. It sure is different rolling in the open (COLD) water even more when it is choppy, failed my first two rolls (brrr) but after some adjustments to timing I managed about 5 rolls. I couldn't get rid of the ice cream headaches fast enough to warrant more rolls.

12. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

I broke down and bought a new camera. :) rounded ten mile point on Saturday in sunshine and happiness on the flattest water imaginable. We hit slack and a medium tide. No rocks to worry about and little to no swell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunday we got out to roberts bay with the intent of circumnavigating coal in the world's most calm conditions, but something about the morning had my paddling buddies on edge. Instead we paddled around shell, ker and the little group, crossed to coal and headed into tsehum harbour. A nice sunday drive again ;) Did get to hear an emergency VHF call from some kayakers about to be run down by the anacortes ferry. Sounds a bit scary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blogged with more pics below.

-Rich

13. waverider

waverider Paddler

Richard , the first and third picture are stellar.

What camera did you buy?

14. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

Waverider: it's a Pentax Optio W30 - I like it a lot as a pocket camera so far. I hope it's as waterproof as they say it is unlike my coolpix in it's "waterproof" case :(. The only reason I got it over the olympus was SD cards - I have many, many SD cards and not so many XD cards. 3x optical zoom is no birding or wildlife range, though. You will scare away every animal you try to shoot with it (the 18foot kayak coming straight at their head probably doesn't put them to ease either). I'd have to special order some new massive balls to take my dSLR out while on the water.

-Rich

15. steele

steele Paddler

I took a short paddle on Lake Washington today. The interesting part was the appearnce of an adult seal who followed me for a half mile or so. He (or she) was very infatuated with my stern handle and chewed away on it more than once. I called the local marine mammal protecton folks who did not seem too concerned about this salt water animal in an inland fresh water lake. To their credit it seemed healthy and chubby. Next time I will bring the camera.