WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - March 2009

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dan_Millsip, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I can't believe that we're ten days into March and this is the first Where Did You Paddle post.

Mick and I went for a 12 km paddle out of Port Moody tonight. It was a beautiful full moon but really, really cccccold. It was so cold that we encountered ice on the water on the way back -- I love that crashing sound when busting through it. And then to my surprise, when I went to take a drink from my water bottle, it was frozen!

Didn't really notice the cold while on the water (except a bit on the feet) since we were dressed for it, but once we got back to the put in and were loading the boats on the car (around 11:00 PM), we darned near froze our hands off -- I'm going to be quite happy when the temperatures around here warm up a bit.

All in all though, it was a terrific paddle that was quite long overdue (it's been a few weeks since I've been out).

Sorry, no pictures tonight.

2. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Well, you know that old saying.... "No pictures.. Never Happened" :wink:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Jill

Jill Paddler

Paddled around Hayward lake on March 8th. When we started out the lake was so calm, not a ripple. As soon as we paddled across we got dumped on by large balls of pellet snow!! We had snow flurries off and on until on the way back . That changed to a snow storm driving right at us. It was lots of fun but I wish I brought my ski goggles!!!

[​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Paddler

No photos it never happened? :cry:

Well I guess I didn't have an early morning peddle & paddle March 3rd, or a pool session March 7th. I definitely didn't freeze my butt off attempting a midnight full-moon paddle March 10th. :wink:

5. rons

rons Paddler

Paddling on Lake Atitlan

I am far from the west coast but I wanted to share this shot of my loyal Khatsalano heading across Lake Atitlan from Panajachel to San Pedro La Laguna. It´s about 27 km return and the lake gets pretty bouncy (not yet seen here) in the afternoon when the land heats up and draws in coastal westerlies that blow through a gap between the 3 volcanoes that surround the lake.

I´ll be here in Guatemala and Central America for another 6 weeks and would love to have company for an ocean journey.

Saludos
    Ron

[​IMG]

6. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Jill, that's a very cold looking photo but the snow on your deck looks awesome!

Ron, thanks for posting that picture -- it's nice to see where other people are paddling.

Ebluethner and I got out for a paddle at Crescent Beach this evening. I really don't think there's a much better place in the Fraser Valley to watch a sunset from.

The setting sun casts a golden hue on a bald eagle perched on a channel marker:
    [​IMG]

Fantastic sunsets of Crescent Beach:
    [​IMG]

A little change of camera white balance settings creates a fiery effect:
    [​IMG]

A picture of a picture taker:
    [​IMG]

It's soooooo nice that things are warming up -- it's been a long cold winter and spring is finally on it's way.

7. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Thanks for the photos everyone! Especially you Dan after shorting us on the last trip. :wink: :wink:

8. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

That's another great eagle shot Dan. I don't know how you do it.
    And yes, great shots there Jill.

9. mikec

mikec Paddler

i'd post more of of paddling ramblings, but everything is just a blur right now - 5 days per week of False Creek and English Bay in the name of paddling specific fitness for some goals of mine for the late summer and fall.

5 days per week since November! I can't wait to start travelling a little again to go visit my fav play spots on the west coast of both countries (note the use of political correctness to avoid getting roped into that other thread!)

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Eleven miles on Deep River, one of the backwaters on the lower Columbia. Twenty knots on the main stem altered our plans. Trashy retired boats, scallops galore, and damp swampy excess broken by net pens, tidy cabins, an eagle swooping for his breakfast, and a fine pause before the springer season makes the ramps a mess of trailers and outboard exhaust.

[​IMG]

Launch site: Lori's Ramp.

[​IMG]

Decaying abandoned vessels

[​IMG]

The best of the lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One happy lady, newly in possession of an Osprey Std.

11. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

"Something Simple" needs to get put out on the hard and given a good dose of TLC. looks like it could make a fine live-aboard "Mothership".

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yours for a song, Darren. I'll pilot the chase boat when you run it up to Sooke Harbour!

13. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

14. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Conditions on the Pacific Rim Hwy as we approached the Ucluelet/Tofino Junction. A cruel beginning on this 1st day of spring.

[​IMG]

Luckily, the weather gods were smiling down upon us the following day. We spent it poking around Toquart Bay and Macoah Passage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lunch stop on David Island in Macoah Passage. My wife paused to take a pic of an eagle resting on a nearby rock outcrop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We encountered this unusual standoff on this haul out near Larkin’s Island.

[​IMG]

15. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Great shots, as always, Art! How long were you out there for? Any good swell coming in?

I'm rooting for the eagles. :p

16. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Thanks Mark. We spent a couple of days in the area. It was too cold to go for a paddle the afternoon we arrived so we decided instead to take in some of the events during the Pacific Rim Whale Festival.

It was still pretty chilly the next day and there was evidence of fresh snow along the roadside heading into Toquart Bay. That being said, conditions were so calm that we probably could have paddled from Toquart to Uki and back without breaking a sweat. Seeing that we had not spent any time exploring Toquart and the surrounding area during our past trips into the BG, we decided to check things out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Conditions turned nasty the next day. We managed to sneak out to Long Beach for a peak before heading home.

[​IMG]

17. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Batstar, you get up Pipestem at all? I've only been a little ways up.

18. sludge

sludge Paddler

Great shots, Art. Thanks for posting.

19. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Thanks Sludge. :)

Dave,

Didn't paddle into Pipestem on this day. We headed in the opposite direction past Forbes Island until we reached Salmon Beach and then spent the rest of the day exploring the smaller islets as we worked our way back to Toquart.

The area was teeming with waterfowl of all kinds, more than we have usually seen in the past. We were wondering if there was a run of Pilchard occurring during this time of the season.

My thanks go out to Dan/Mark for resizing those photos for me. :oops:

20. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

You're very welcome - any time.

(It wasn't me - thanks Dan!). :lol: :oops: