WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - May 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by waverider, May 6, 2007.

1. waverider

waverider Paddler

I took a newbie out to Deep Cove today, even though it was drizzling and choppy out there we had a great paddle, by the smile on his face I think he's hooked on kayaking :thumbsup

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Cool. I got out for about my 4th paddle of the year so far :oops: today. Cool and rainy, we paddled through a significant current in Baines Channel to play in some stronger localized currents through the Chatham Islets - some were a little faster than could be paddled against, but it quickly got me back in check with boat-handling skills (and with a minimal loss of gel-coat!). We continued our paddle around Discovery Island before crossing Baines Channel once again on the return trip.

It's taking a while but I'm getting back in shape - feels good. And none too soon - there's talk of a trip to the Skookumchuk Narrows in a couple of weeks! 8O :twisted:

3. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Well 8 of us went out on Okanagan Lake today. Launched at Peachland, crossed over to Rattlesnake Island and down to Commando Bay. Had a fire and lunch, relaxed and headed back. It was a good paddle but I do miss the ocean.

4. Houston

Houston Paddler

Yesterday I bought my fabulously beautiful Nimbus Solander from Western Canoe and Kayaking and my brand new Werner paddle, and today I headed into Deep Cove for a quick paddle to test her out. I'm in love!!!!!!! Thanks Dan for all your help yesterday!

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Seems as though Indian Arm was the place to be today -- guess that's why I was there too. :D

I had a very enjoyable paddle with 5 members of PIKA from Belcarra Park to Twin Islands and then around Bedwell Bay before heading back to Belcarra.

Yesterday, I went for a night paddle in False Creek.

Last Wednesday I went for a paddle at Crescent Beach with hopes that I might see the gray whales that cyberhun wrote about -- I left Blackie Spit and paddled towards White Rock but about half way along Cresent Beach, lighting started going off towards White Rock -- within moments, lighting was flashing on the other side of me towards Highway 99. Needless to say, I immediately turned around and headed back along the shore, cutting my paddle short after about an hour.

Glad you're enjoying the new boat and paddle, Houston! :D

6. waverider

waverider Paddler

I am almost sure your group was just ahead of us Dan (did you guys stop at the rock with the tree lying on top around 1 ish )

I am going to try to go out and see those whales this week (weather depending)

7. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I thought we went past that spot about an hour later but it very well could have been us.

8. Houston

Houston Paddler

Sounds like you saw my group, there was 5 of us, just after 1.

9. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Hi all; I'm the newbie "XL Mark" (waverider) took out on Sunday afternoon. It was my first time in a kayak - my only previous paddling experience was in *GASP*...a canoe. (Is that a four-letter word in here?) :wink:

I have to say I am hooked! What a magical experience...my only regret was I forgot to take pictures. We were only out for a couple of hours, but I already want to go out again. I'll be pouring through the threads in here, looking for tips and pointers and try to learn as much as I possibly can!

Thanks to waverider for his patience and willingness to teach me. With any luck, maybe I'll be able to join you all for the 3rd Annual WCP Spring Getaway next year. :D

10. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

not a chance. i/m sure many here paddle canoes, have paddled canoes or will paddle canoes. Some of my most entertaining and relaxing moments have been from canoes and even tho i own a few kayaks, i also have a canoe.

this whole thing really is just about getting out there in some form of self propelled means. no matter what the means.

single paddle, double paddle, peddle, greenland paddle, oar - who cares, it's all fun, good exercise and a nice, slow, close way of touching nature.

11. sludge

sludge Paddler

canoes are all good.

12. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Have been on the Danube last sunday, took off from the kayak club float and headed an hour upstream.

Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

On the club float, can be raised or lowered, depending on the waterlevel.

[​IMG]

One of the landing barges for the river cruiceships.

[​IMG]

Downtown Linz, the big buildings host a art university and the tax administration. The architect of that sinister looking buildings was a mr. A. Hitler in 1939.
    Linz is connected with the Nibelungen bridge to the other side.

[​IMG]

A practical joker has mounted an outboard engine to the bridge, or maybe it was a project of the art students.

[​IMG]

A ore carrier is comming from downstream, i look forward for the wake and wave action!

[​IMG]

There she comes!

[​IMG]

The river is not allways quiet and slow.

Next sunday, i am off to the lakes of the Salzkammergut lake district near Salzburg.

c u later

:wink:

Willi

13. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

WWII AND assisting in tax administration! Was there no end to that man's evil?

14. mikec

mikec Paddler

jsut got backl froma great week of fun up around Quadra, Beazley Passage/Surge Narrows, the Octopus Islands, and a short jaunt over to have a gander at Hole in the Wall.

note to self - take 5 days off work this summer to go play more and discover the nuances of the Surge Narrows area!

for those with the comfort level and skills in currents, this area has to be one of the hidden gems of the BC coast!

picutres to follow soon!

15. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Victoria Inner Harbour
    Me and Med Mark went out to get our paddles wet, nice evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. GordB

GordB Paddler

I have to wholeheartedly agree with mikec. The trip was an absolute wonder.
    I too am wanting to go back. Those currents are a marvelous training ground.

17. waverider

waverider Paddler

well last night I headed out to Burrard inlet launching from Port Moody and paddled to Barnet park and back, great paddle it was.

And tonight I headed out to Boundary Bay from White Rock and paddled out to the beginning of creseant beach , looking for those whales Cyberhun had mentioned. Could not have asked for calmer waters either. ( I could not get over how clean that water is out there )

Hope everyone is able to take advantage of this great weather!

Cheers Mark

18. sludge

sludge Paddler

Point Atkinson

Well, headed out early Sat. morn from Eagle Harbour for a relaxing dawdle. Headed east past Klootchman Park and Point Atkinson lighthouse.Turned out to be pleasant in the sun, but not so relaxing. The seas were surging and gurgling. Big breakers smashing over Seal Rocks. It was all hands on deck. Only managed a couple of rushed pictures. Rode the surf back past a large entourage of boats decked out in their finest. They were saluting the Admiral in a Sail Past event adjacent Passage Island. The seas were calming by the time I reached shore about 11:30.

19. waverider

waverider Paddler

I too took off for a relaxing paddle in Burrard Inlet launching from Spanish Banks, only to be bashed smashed and thrown around by the waves while dodging kite surfers ! It was a total blast :D look forward too another day like today, but maybe when it is a little bit warmer so I'd be more willing to pratice self rescue in those conditions.

20. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Couldn't make it to the gathering on Vancouver Island, so I headed over to the 3rd Annual Canoe and Kayak Sail-in at Jericho Sailing Association yesterday.
    It was after 13:00hrs when I got on the water, putting in at English Bay. The wind had been blowing for a couple of days, so the water was pretty lumpy, and flecked with foam in places. Every so often I speared right over the top of a particularly steep wave and the bow slapped down on the far side.
    With no upwind sailing capability, I deliberately overshot to windward of Jericho, stopping paddling just at Spanish Banks. I came about, then unfurled the Pacific Action sail only. Even with only it set, I was clipping along, and using my paddle as a flying outrigger. I expected I was either going to look real cool as I made a high speed landing at Jericho, or like a right fool as I capsized. In the event, as soon as I got into the lee of the pier there, I slowed right down, so no grand entrance - or swimming.
    Spent about an hour and half looking at folk's various ingenious sail set-ups. The wind was from the right quarter to let me make a credible leave-taking - sailing from right off the beach. The run back to English Bay was fun. After the prolonged fetch, there was a long, low swell underlying the wind waves. Every so often, my sailing speed would sync with the swell speed, so I would surf it, getting up to 5 knots according to my GPS. At other times, waves would overtake me, so that even the double-sized rudder blade I have was not enough, and I had to rudder with my paddle as well to prevent being broached. Just rough enough to use my skills, without being scary. All in all, a grand day on the water and on the beach.