WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - May 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by waverider, May 6, 2007.

1. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

2. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Thanks, saw this site before, the wreck it not listed. I will have to keep searching.

It was a truly wonderful trip. I find my mind wandering back when I am supposed to be listening to people at work.

3. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I try to avoid that. :lol:

4. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Sadly, as a physician, it sort of goes with the territory :?

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

It's taken a few days to post this but I paddled up to Granite Falls at the top of Indian Arm with my youngest daughter last weekend. We left Deep Cove at 8:00 PM with my daughter in the front of the double. About an hour into the trip, she slid down in the front cockpit and slept for about 2/3rds of the 16km paddle. We arrived at the campsite at 11:30 PM and the place was packed! There were about 30 tents but we managed to find a decent spot and got the tent set up just before it started raining again. In the morning, we woke up around 9:00 AM to rain and the majority of the tents had gone. It turned out that a group of Boy Scouts had been there for the weekend but after a full day of rain and a forecast for another full day of rain, they decided to pack up their wet gear and head home. We were left sharing the campsite with 3 families, a fellow from Ontario, and a group of nannies with their boyfriends.

At about 11:00 AM, Kayakwriter and rjoutnorth (who were on a day paddle) dropped in to say Hello and have a bit of a chat while I washed up the breakfast dishes. The rest of the day my daughter and I spent under a tarp or in the tent.

Monday morning turned out to be much drier and we got our camp packed up and were on the water at 12:30 PM. We had cloudy skies until about 3:00, when the sun finally made an appearance.

Despite the wet weather we still managed to have a great time with lots of fun and laughter.

Heading out from Deep Cove at dusk:
    [​IMG]

The view down the arm from the campsite didn't change much over the day on Sunday:
    [​IMG]

My daughter took the camera on Monday morning and took a few pictures:
    [​IMG]

She likes flowers:
    [​IMG]

Heading home on Monday afternoon -- we saw this fallen tree on Crocker Island and felt compellted to paddle under it:
    [​IMG]

Silver Falls:
    [​IMG]

A closer look at Silver Falls:
    [​IMG]

Arriving back at Deep Cove in glorious sunshine:
    [​IMG]

6. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

7. Islandboy

Islandboy Paddler

8. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Islandboy, that's one very nice looking double.

I paddled last Thursday at Crescent Beach (and part way up the Nicomekl):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Helen, Chris and I went out for some 'easy paddlin' today. Launching from Swartz Bay in the early afternoon, we paddled out to Arbutus Island, then back along the shore of Piers Island, over to Knapp and back south to Coal Island before heading back to Swartz Bay in early evening. It gave me a chance to try out my new waterproof housing for my Canon A710 IS - I'm pretty happy with it! I have yet to perfect a method of eliminating those pesky water spots on the lens, but overall it does a great job. I managed to capture a few decent stills and even some video while 'messing around in boats'. 8)

Mute Swans guarding their nest as we paddle by
    [​IMG]

A brightly painted and well looked-after sailboat in its home-made semi-drydock
    [​IMG]

A tiny shore crab shell gets bleached in the spring sun
    [​IMG]

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Those are great shots, Mark. Cost of the housing? Also, I've been using a small square of chamois cloth to clear my glasses (yeah, yeah, I know all about your laser surgery!! :wink: 8) ) for a while -- might be a possible solution to water spots for you.

Keep the shots coming ... and hope Swamp Girl hooks up with you.

11. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Sorry I missed the meet at the beach, but I had a three day weekend and wanted to paddle places.
    I did another of my self-propelled door-to-door trips. Loaded my bike trailer early Friday morning, pedaled down to the English Bay Boathouse, and was on the water for 8:30. Paddled round the south end of Bowen Island, then sailed to and through the Paisley Islands, then paddled to Gibsons. Camped on Keats Island at the Plumper Cove park. Saturday I hiked up to Lookout Peak. Got up at 5AM this morning to be on the water for 7 and beat the building winds inflowing to Howe Sound. Rounded Cape Roger Curtis at the southwest end of Bowen into a small craft warning and lively seas. Swells about one meter, periodically breaking and reforming. At one point I was surfing at 7.4 knots.
    About seven nautical miles out from English Bay, I put up a sail (for those who saw the two sail set-up at Portland Island, I only needed or wanted one in these conditions.) Short video clip at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD6M0l6iABw
    Note westcoastpaddler sticker on foredeck!
    Landed at English Bay at 12:45, loaded up and biked home to East Van - my own personal slow-speed biathalon.

12. andreas

andreas Paddler

wow, that is sooo cool! cycling and kayaking together--nothing better then that! how far did you have to pull your boat?
    i have an old bike trailer kicking around... i think i should get my butt moving to get this baby ready for hauling my boat :D

13. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

sounds to me like you did not miss anything, rather you were doing what this is all about.

very impressed by your weekend. very interesting set of locations you got to.
    good for you.

14. Chris

Chris New Member

Helen and I were out with Mark S. on Saturday. He's already talked about where we went... Arbutus Island, Piers Is. Cole Is. and more. Great fun was had by all :D ... I've got a burn on my neck :(

Here are some pics... enjoy.

[​IMG]
    The arbutus on Arbutus Is.

[​IMG]
    Birds of a feather.

[​IMG]
    This guy watches out for the birds

[​IMG]
    Skwaaaaaak

[​IMG]
    Mark with his new camera in its mount. I've got an S2-IS... no waterproof housing, so it only comes out when I'm ashore (except for this shot)

15. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Darn Andreas, now I feel like I've misled you. I didn't pull the boat from home - it lives locked up in a boathouse at English Bay. But I did bike all my camping gear there and back.
    And I have been looking at putting kid-sized bike tires on my kayak wheels to do what you thought I did.
    I've often thought the ultimate would be to have a kayak you could tow and a bike that would fit in the kayak so you could leap-frog from water to land and back again. Not sure whether the bike should be folding, or the kayak, or both. They make some stainless steel folding bikes for yachties that look like they'd stand up better to salt water and air than your standard civilian model. But they don't really have the tire size or gear ratio you want for towing (Yachties don't - that I've seen - tow their boats on trailers with bikes.) Those bikes are more intended for pedaling to the nearest pub...

16. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

I went for a test ride on my new bike trailer 10ks across the hills to Lake Zell, towed my packed Feathercraft Kahuna.

[​IMG]

On flat roads, the trailer run allmost by itself, but on the as soon as i hit the hills, i was down on the grany gear!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30 minutes after arriving on the lake, i was on the water.

[​IMG]

servus,

Willi

17. andreas

andreas Paddler

nice! that's the way to go :D

18. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

willi and phillip - the bike stuff is just so cool.

so we just gotta make it work for us hardshell folks, too - no fair!!

1) get 2 light carts, one for ea end of kayak. Front cart clamped down very well w/ 2 cam clamps, back cart a little more loosely.

2) one or 2 sprocket gears on the outboard of the front cart. With a belt to a pulley on a shaft thru the yak that has a gear operated by the rudder foot pedals being pushed back and forth. that's the drive. like a kids pedal car.

3) rear cart has one blade of the paddle clamped to one side of the rear cart preferred so whole paddle operates like a tiller or a rudder in surfing or sailing on this looser cart. (looser just to be able to slightly revolve.

voila - low bucks transport! let the games begin.

call it the KayaCar or a Carayak - but probably more yuk yuk than yak yak. heh heh

19. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Wow Mick, I was thinking the exact same thing!

But in English :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: <---- 3 winks :D

20. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Folding kayaks rocks!:p

No need for such fancy stuff if you want to haul a rigid kayak: carry freedom, the company that makes my trailer is offering a longer towing arm, that makes towing a 17foot kayak possible:

http://www.carryfreedom.com/Y-Frame.html

I am ordering on for towing my huge Discover Gemini tandem seakayak to the lake.

Speaking of crazy constructions for kayaks: in the latest german folding kayak presents a interesting guy a paddlewheel driven Pouch kayak!

:wink:

Willi