WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - May 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by waverider, May 6, 2007.

1. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

mick_allen wrote: "...so we just gotta make it work..."

Oh, no, here we go again! :wink:
    :lol: Kathy

2. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Yeah; what she said! 8)

3. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I am hoping anyone can just jump into this forum. I just found this website while looking for a VHF radio course; how exciting!

On the May long weekend we had planned to go to Jedediah Island. Wind wind and more wind, we pretended we were not home and had a home holiday instead! :lol: On the sunny Monday we put in at Oak Bay (Victoria) and went over to check out Discovery Island. Lots of great beaches to pull up on, a gov't campsite and a great trail to hike around on. There were some fun rips to check out on the way back, very calm and safe conditions.

On the 18th we went over to D'Arcy Island for the weekend. It was spectacular. The weather was a mixed bag of sun and clouds, just perfect for paddling. NO one else was on the island. On the Saturday we went up to Mandarte Island to check out all the birds. I had never seen Pigeon Guillmonts before and had to research them when I got home. I love the sound they make.

Sunday morning the marine forecast had a small craft warning, and promised the winds would ease by afternoon/evening. We spent the day hiking around the island. The winter's wind storms made the trail that cuts directly across the island very difficult to follow. It was great playing find the marker! Given we were on a small(ish) island I was not worried at all. On the way back we more or less stuck to the shore, and beachcombed our way back. What an incredible island, I can't wait to go back.

Oh, did I forget to mention the return crossing? Checking the marine radio, we thought the conditions were well within our ability. The winds we SUPPOSED to be less than 20 knots and the waves were low. We headed out around the sheltered side of the island, with the thought that IF it was not reasonable we would stay another night (we were prepared to do this) and leave early in the morning.

Rounding the island the winds were up, but all looked well. It had been blowing all day, there were a few minor swells, but no whitecaps. It felt like the wind picked up for the ENTIRE crossing! We had put in at Islandview beach, directly across from D'Arcy. My boat likes to turn on the top of waves (LOOKING FOR A NEW ONE). I needed to head directly INTO the wind and waves and YES current to make it safely back to shore. There were times I was not making any headway I am sure! :x About 2/3 of the way across, we considered returning because there was a great headwind coming off the land as well! With a small tantrum and a leap of faith we powered up and made it to the beach, Cordova Bay that is! :roll:

We could have paddled up the coast to our car for about ten minutes after we landed the wind DIED entirely! :p I was pretty tired and quite soggy from the waves. I was not cold, yet. I decided to call a friend for a ride to the car. Friends are amazing!

We are just doing day trips in June: Red Tide Specials, like paddling through tomato soup! 8O :( Planning some multi-nighters for the summer!

4. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

5. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Wow! I missed a bunch of posts on here when my computer was down - great photography!!!

6. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

steve wrote
    no, i was meaning some simple magical way of transporting without using the bulk of a bicycle.

so any of our carts can be used behind a bike as long as the yak is strapped down ok.

- but the hard part is to figure out what to do with the bike at the other end.

one way is to pull it while roller blading, but that would take a lot of skill and practice with blades that wont blister you up too much.

anyway, there's no point (to me) in having carts that can't be easily broken down and stowed in the yak. so in those pics i'd only go with the last one shown, but with small enough wheels to be stowed. And i'd just us the paddle for the tow tiller - simple redundancy.[/b]