WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? May 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Raimo, May 1, 2008.

1. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

Took my brother-in-law to Point Atkinson today for his first kayak session. Actually he has paddled before with an inflatable kayak that is so stable you can almost stand on the side and it won't tip. Put him in one of the Delta 17's. Not quite as stable! Forecast called for light variable winds but it turned out be 21 knots SE at Sandheads. There was about a 2 to 3 foot swell at the Point against a falling tide which created a bit of rip. He did pretty good I must say. No misfortunes. This should make up for the times he took me skiing down double black diamond runs when I was just learning!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mikec

mikec Paddler

i wouldn't exactly be bragging about bringing out a newbie in pseudo-21 knot offshore winds on an exposed stretch of coastline with little to no opportunities for landing in case of emergency.....

if the wind really was blowing that hard (and most of us tend to overstate wind speeds 30% on average) that had the possibility of EPIC written all over it...

didn't the members of the local paddling community learn anything from what happened in Howe Sound last fall?

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

While I can see what you're saying Mike, the situation here is nothing like the Howe Sound tragedy of last fall. Was it wise to take a novice out in this weather -- probably not. However, Raimo does say that the weather was not what it was forecast to be AND he knows his brother-in-laws capabilities (despite being a novice kayaker, he's not a novice around water). I do know also that immersion protection was worn by both paddlers, a radio was present, as were other safety items. I've paddled with Raimo and know him to be a paddler who is competent at rescue scenarios. Not trying to say that your concerns are not valid, just that the situation is quite a lot different than the Howe Sound incident.

I have to admit however, that I was a bit surprised to see that bottom photo -- wow.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

When I was a teacher, we called lab experiments that went awry "learning experiences." I've sure had my "learning experiences" on the water, and been responsible for inducing others into their own.

Hey, Raimo,

Did your brother have fun? Did he ever feel out of control? Is he hot to paddle again?

I can safely say I've lead a couple new(er) paddlers out into conditions which were OK for me, and their answers to the three questions above would have been "Nope!" I've also taken a couple newer paddlers out in the gnarlies, and they were totally stoked, in control all the time (well, mostly, anyway), and hounded me to go back.

I bet it depends a lot on Raimo's brother ... and he sounds like a go for it guy with some moxie backup in the form of Raimo.

5. mikec

mikec Paddler

not questioning Raimo's skill, just the thought process behind bringing someone out in that particular spot. had he said they went for a paddle from a blustery English Bay launch site near Kits I never would have posted my concern.

my allusion to the Howe Sound incident was not weather related but judegement and decision making related - that people should stop and think before heading out as to whether or not they are in the right place at the right time to be paddling that day with their particular group.

most incidents on the water are the result of a suspect go/no go decision.

In Raimo's case they seem to have had a good day and nothing happened, which is how you develop good judgement to begin with, by being caught out from time to time!

i apologise if the tone of my first post sounded condescending or terse, it was certainly not intended to provide offense to Raimo, i'm just a bit of a safety nazi for stuff like this.... :D

6. mikec

mikec Paddler

oh and back to the topic at hand - where did you paddle?

headed out to the 1st MEC Big Chop race of the season at Vanier Park, great turnout for the night at approx 50 paddlers in craft of all shapes and sizes!

great weather, the sun god made an appearance, and great company, it was nice touching base with people i hadn't seen all winter who made an appearance.

these events are worth it just for the tasty bbq bavarian smokies and fresh watermelon served after each race!

highly encourage local paddlers to come out sometime, this was the 1st one i have attended and I was suitably impressed.

mental note to self however - don't let myself get goaded into doing the long course when clearly my racing fitness dictates that i do the short course!

lol

7. nootka

nootka Paddler

Went for a paddle on the reservoir today and saw the first moose of the season.
    [​IMG]
    Not a great picture but I was wearing neoprene gloves.

8. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

Note to Mike C:
    Point taken regarding paddling in those conditions with a novice.
    However, a little backgound on my brother-in-law. He's in his early forties, windsurfs, scuba dives, skis any terrain, plays hockey every week, has canoed on extended trips, has boated for many years. He's physically fit, agile and coordinated.
    The conditions were bumpy but not bad enough that I couldn't take my hand off the paddle to take pictures. True, my brother-in-law was a lot more comfortable keeping his hands on his paddle and maintaining balance.
    Gearwise we had on drysuits, PFD's. Carried all the usual gear such as VHF, waterproof cell phone, tow lines, flares, etc., etc.
    We were never that far from the shore. Many places are not that accessible but there are a few semi-sheltered spots behind small points where one could land in an emergency.
    Never the less, my knuckles hurt from that rap! ouch!
    Note to Astoria Dave: Yes he had fun and he will be going again.

9. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

I did Chatham island after work on thursday! My first after work paddle :) I love having light after work.I stepped outside the building and noticed.. no wind. looked in the book and noticed... no current. Put in a mere 40 minutes after work and had a nice quiet solo mission around Chatham island.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blogged Below.

:D

-Rich

10. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

May 1 Otter Tail Lake

Ice is almost gone... but it's not
    :twisted:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p00Xx8hMGfU[/youtube]

11. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Re: May 1 Otter Tail Lake

Kheyashunka, for some strange reason I get a strong craving for a Margarita whenever I watch your winter rolling videos.

RichardH, you take some nice pictures.

I paddled a couple of times over the past days -- both in Indian Arm. Met up with a couple of people from clubtread.com on Friday and paddled to Twin Islands with them:

[​IMG]

12. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

Went into Victoria's inner harbour from the VCKC clubhouse. It was a nice, quiet sunset paddle and some really amazing colors as it got later. This time, I had timed the tides so I'd just float under the bridge instead of capsizing like last time :). I got down to the harbour just as the last clipper and float planes were leaving, so a little wake here and there, but overall it was just a trip for relaxing, lily-dipping and photography.

Pics:

Calm water with only my hull's wake showing for the most part.

[​IMG]

The Johnson Street Bridge

[​IMG]

The Shipyards with some boats on blocks

[​IMG]

Even cleaned up the gorge a bit ;)

[​IMG]

And, of course, Sunset

[​IMG]

blogged with more pics below.

Dan: thanks - and I'm still wishing I could get my dslr kit out there, but if that fell in the water I'd have to kill myself. So for now, the optio will have to do.

13. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

Went back to Point Atkinson again on Sunday. Great day with just a little wave action. It's amazing that in a city of over a million people, you can be out paddling on a sunny day and only see a few power boats, sailboats and no other kayakers. (Except for my paddling partner)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. sludge

sludge Paddler

Point Atkinson

Raimo:

I presume you are putting in at Eagle Harbour, and paddling east past Seal Rocks and Point Atkinson? Or do you prefer to put in at Caulfeild Cove or Stearman Beach?

15. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

Usually we launch at eagle harbor. Nice sandy beach launch . Have gone from Caulfield Cove too but a bit more of a carry and the choice of a wharf launch or rocky beach launch.

16. Jill

Jill Paddler

Went for a nice windy paddle about 8k up the west side of Harrison lake. windy wet fun.
    [​IMG]

17. Timeless in the Bay

Timeless in the Bay Paddler

Went to bed at 3am after work and forced myself to get up at 7am for a paddle. What a gorgeous morning in Thunder Bay.

18. Timeless in the Bay

I was supposed to have pics attached to my last post but I hadn's read how to do it. Will try again later.

19. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Houston and I got out on English Bay on Tuesday evening (May 6th). It had been cool early in the day and the forecast had been for Northwest gales out on the Strait. In the event, we paddled out toward Spanish Banks against a light breeze.

As we passed the various freighters anchored in the bay, the sailors whistled cheerfully at us. Oddly, this never happens when I'm paddling alone.

By the time we turned around to sail back, the wind had died completely. The sails just hung there, limp as Hugh Hefner without his little blue pills.
    Houston was a good sport about this, and pointed out that at least the current was in our favour.

[​IMG]

We drifted for a bit, then paddled. As we got roughly abeam of Kits Beach, the wind did pick up. I caddishly put up both sails on my boat, leaving Houston to paddle (I rationalized that she's young and fit, I'm old and decrepit, and while testing my towline earlier that evening, I'll pulled her along for eight hundred meters. Or maybe it was eighty.)

[​IMG]

Landed just before sunset - a lovely night on the water.

20. Timeless in the Bay

Hope this works. These are the images from this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]