WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? May 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Raimo, May 1, 2008.

1. andreas

andreas Paddler

Oh man what a nightmare.... This is one reason I'm not going camping on long weekends anymore. It is sad how some people think they can do what ever they want and get away with... I notice that more and more

I'm glad you still had a nice time after that!

2. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

3. Moose

Moose Paddler

I used the sunshine of Saturday to paddle my new Delta 17 on Thetis Lake. I am still a relative newbie, so want to stick to calm waters until I am very confident with my (in)abilities. Anyhow, it's not 10:30 in the AM yet and already large groups of beligerant and drunk "youths" are screaming obcenities, throwing bottles and cans into the lake, and challenging passer-bys to physical altercations.

Nice.

After two laps of Thetis, and having to pass by these yahoos several times, enduring repeated insults regarding my phyical apperance and my assumed sexual preference, I finally called it a day. I was tired anyhow. Matters were not made any better by the parking lot being stuffed full, and people sitting and idleling in their cars, just waiting for someone to pull out, giving me the evil-eye for not hustling fast enough as I loaded up my kayak as fast as I could. That, and the complete lack of change facilites at second beach. Would it kill the CRD to invest in a cement pad and a few cinder blocks? The porta-potty just is not the easiest to change in. Nor pleasent.

Anyhow, apart from that, I did get some paddling skills back, and learned more about how the boat handles. Kind of like riding a bike. Next i need to work on cockpit outfitting, bracing, edging, and then rolling. Looks like next weekend is looking nice already. I just hope Mommy and Daddy get junior to mow the lawn instead of letting him go get drunk before noon.

4. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

My wife and I headed out to Indian Arm on Sunday to test out our new pfds and hopefully enjoy a sunny and leisurely paddle; well, it was sunny, but not so leisurely! The chop from the amount of boat traffic was too much to enjoy...add in the noise from full-throttled wake-boats and blaring stereos, and it was far from relaxing. I should have known better than to head out on a sunny long weekend. :roll:

Our plan was to go to Jug Island and follow the shore to Twin, but once we got to the sheltered side of Jug, we decided we weren't having fun so we headed back to Deep Cove. We had lots of time left on our rental, so we just poked around in the cove for a while...by then it was about dinner time and the power-boat yahoos seemed to have gone in for a bite to eat and to re-stock their beer. The water became glass-smooth, so we had a much more relaxing loop around Boulder Island and then called it a day.

It was the first time for my wife in her own boat, and even with a rogue wave from a larger vessel (passing much too close and way too fast - why don't they make an effort to slow down and/or keep their distance??) washing over her from the side during the first 45-minutes of our paddle, she did exceptionally well! Even in the heavy chop and boat wakes she managed to stay upright (after a couple close calls after launching until she found her centre of gravity), and even figured out how to brace on her own! Her experience was much-improved after the donkeys got off the water. We're planning on taking some lessons together to get that whole "first-wet-exit" over with in a controlled environment. :wink:

In the future, we'll be more selective of paddling locations on sunny long weekends. :lol:

Sorry, no pictures as I forgot my camera again.

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Nice to see everyone getting some paddling time in -- excellent photos!

DarrenM and I did a trip to De Courcy Island this past weekend. Had terrific weather and lots of fun. The theme for this weekend was "People -- lots of people". While we did have a good time, this is not a place I'd come again if I were looking for some peace and quiet -- way too many power boaters -- all of them walking right through the campsite.

The videographer:
    [​IMG]

Sandstone art - the entire island is sandstone and as such creates some absolutely stunning formations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting to fall - this rock wall looked like someone had peeled off part of it:
    [​IMG]

West side of De Courcy:
    [​IMG]

Beach at Pirates Cove Marine Park (taken from the campsite):
    [​IMG]

Looking out to Stewart Channel from the campsite:
    [​IMG]

Our campsite -- not a bad spot but it's right on the main trail from the boat dock to the south beach -- and everyone walks past -- made me feel a bit like we were on display:
    [​IMG]

Sunset over Pirates Cove -- there is a trail from the campsite (well, through the campsite, actually) that leads to a point at the end of Pirates Cove -- makes a nice spot for watching the sun set:
    [​IMG]

Invasion of the kayaks -- there were two women from the Nanaimo Paddlers camping at the park on Friday night -- this was the rest of their party arriving on Saturday morning -- they paddled on to Blackberry Point:
    [​IMG]

The trail to Pirates Cove. This trail leads to the entrance to Pirates Cove, it is also the route that many boaters take through the park as there is a small dock near the end:
    [​IMG]

Lots of boats in Pirates Cove:
    [​IMG]

Bald Eagle near the campsite:
    [​IMG]

Could this be the perfect kayaking mothership?:
    [​IMG]

Chillin' while on a paddle along the east side of the island:
    [​IMG]

Blue Heron:
    [​IMG]

When enough is enough:
    [​IMG]

6. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Mark your pics of New Zealand & the wildlife are amazing... thank you for posting.
    All you guys some fabulous long weekend pics, sorry to hear so many of you had to endure the "unwashed masses". I stopped "tripping" many years ago (even before coming to Canada, unfortunately it's not just a Canadian problem! :evil: ) on "long" weekends, too many people, too much traffic & too much hassle. Many of these a**holes seem to think they have a right to spoil everyone elses time off in an attempt to "enjoy" their own. Good on all of you who were able to have a good time despite the aggro.

7. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

8. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Hear, hear! (Hmmm...or is it "here, here... :lol: )

Great photos - really enjoyed yours Dan! As usual, each and every one is spectacular - plus it gets me excited as I will be there in two weeks too! :D

New Zealand looks great too...but that one will be a little further down the road.... :wink:

I wonder if we bring on some of the bad behavior of others by reacting indignantly when all these people suddenly take over our beaches and campsites when we've had them to ourselves all winter? :wink: I know I've felt that in myself! :lol:
    Kathy

9. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

PS...I just mean subtle karma (not anything we actually do...)...whooo...whooo...
    :lol:

10. elmo

elmo Paddler

Very insightful Kathy, sometimes a friendly hello and a few minutes in conversation is all that it takes to make a bad situation better. Drunken kids? Well they're a different animal altogether :lol:

So are photos manditory for posting in the 'Where did you paddle' thread? I don't have a digital camera, but wouldn't mind sharing my paddles.

daniel

11. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

No. Not at all. There certainly wasn't any indignation on our part this weekend. But there were a lot of nosy power boaters who all but stuck their heads in our tents. The bad/inappropriiate behaviour of others in this case was soley by the others.

I'm sure that DarenN's kayak getting taken by a bunch of drunken sailboaters had nothing to do with any indignation on DarenN's part either. I suspect that there may have been a bit of warranted indignation after the fact though.

Some people are just jerks regardless of what type of boat they operate.

12. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

I was on Discovery last weekend, and it was very quiet. It would have been fine with me had there been some shenanigans however, as I had my 'greeting stick' :twisted:
    [​IMG]

13. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Doesn't look like enough to me...where's the yak??? :wink:

14. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

long weekend getaway

Mike and I were dropped off at Tswassen on Thursday evening by Mike's wife. We wheeled aboard for Swartz Bay, landing there just before 8PM.
    Our orginial plan had been to paddle to Portland Island for the night and hop over to Rum Island the next day. But it was calm and clear, and we had good lights and the mapping GPS, so we just headed directly for Rum Island, enjoying several hours of perfect night paddling, including bioluminence.
    Landed at Rum to find all three legal camp pads taken, so we commando camped - me in my hammock. Got up early and headed around the tip of Rum
    [​IMG]
    towards D'Arcy Island. Saw dolphins on the way - moving to fast to photograph.
    Got a lovely camp on D'Arcy
    [​IMG]
    with only two other paddlers on the island.
    I walked round the island, revisting the remains of the caretaker's cabin from when D'Arcy was a leper colony. (I was here alone about eight years back.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sunday morning we had favourable wind and current for the trip back to Swartz Bay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUji1W6WKr0
    Managed to avoid both bozos and holiday weekend traffic by leaving on the Thursday and coming back on the Sunday.

15. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

hi Philip;
    what was your paddling time from Swartz Bay to Rum?
    Daren.....

16. Guy_Tha_Lizard

Guy_Tha_Lizard New Member

Okanagan Lake March 20th 2008

March 2008 Calm morning at Okanagan Lake. Not a cloud in the sky. Nice day for a kayak temp was +11c.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a bit wet but the sun was warm.
    [​IMG]

17. Guy_Tha_Lizard

Guy_Tha_Lizard New Member

Re: Okanagan Lake March 20th 2008

Thanks for editing my post. Tried to remove the duplicate but couldn't find the delete button.

:)

18. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Didn't log it, but it was roughly 2 and 1/2 hours.

19. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

Woo.. I got out 3 times after work/on the weekend. The Swiftsure was in town, so I paddled the scenic way into the Inner Harbour to check out some of the boats before the race. I ended up seeing a whole forest of rafted boats clinging to the public dock and heard more corks popping than a pop-gun conference. The threatening weather just cleared up and went back to wherever it came from. Overall a great little paddle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second day, I kind of missed my chance to catch gentle waters in caddy bay, so I headed up to Island View beach and paddled to D'arcy Island. Like kayakwriter, I'd visited D'arcy a few years ago and vowed to return some day. I just set foot on the north beach and wrote some notes to myself for next time. It's such a beautiful place with such a shady past and I'm glad I can kayak out to it in just under 1h30.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Third Day, I went to Brentwood Bay and meandered my way north with a few friends, passing members of the VCKC heading out to McKenzie bight. Another gorgeous, hot day and we packed in a bunch of attractions into a morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blogged Below.

-Rich

20. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

So far we've had 4 days of paddling in the Broken Group, Barkley Sound.
    We're cheating again. Using the mother "ship" and staying at Wickaninninsh Inn. There's nothing like showers and a hot tub after a day of paddling!
    [​IMG]
    Sea lions having some R & R
    [​IMG]
    Some more life
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Caves and arches galore
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are blue barrels on virtually every beach. Here's a green one trying to invade their territory
    [​IMG]
    [Still have a couple of days to go. Must go and paddle! :D