WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? May 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Raimo, May 1, 2008.

1. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

More paddling today on Chesterman Beach out side of Tofino. Got a few hours in practicing surf landings and takeoffs. Not to mention riding the waves. That was the best part. I think some of the surfers are having second thoughts about their equipment. It was a lot easier for me to grab a wave and surf, pull out and start again. What a thrill ! :D :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

I'm sooo jealous :(

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Me too - looks nice out there! Nice work, Raimo - playing in that stuff for a few days will sharpen all sorts of skills!

4. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

I thought that was your boat (c/w Deltas on the rack) in the parking lot at the Wick!! I was there Saturday night for dinner at the Pointe with my better half. Nuts! I would've let you buy our meal... :wink:

We were staying at Pacific Sands Beach Resort on Cox Bay...I was wishing I had my own kayak (and experience in surf) watching some of those waves!! We paddled on Sunday around the islands on the sheltered side of the Sound, and stopped on Meares for a "hike" on the Big Tree Trail. Once again, my wife impressed me with how quickly she's caught on to paddling; she's a quick learner! She even spent most of the time "sans rudder", relying on paddle strokes for control. 8)

Pics to follow when I've found my camera usb cable... :?

5. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

good food.....
    just don't go there with wine snobs...

[​IMG]

6. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

Jurfie wrote:
    No could have done! When you stay there you can't aford to eat there too!
    It's one or the other. We ordered in pizza a couple of nights.which was good for lunches the next day too. :lol:
    But too bad we missed you. We could have had a chat over some "free" coffee in the lounge!
    We're back home now and suffering from withdrawal symptoms. :( Need more paddling. You will enjoy the Brokens in August.

7. elmo

elmo Paddler

Went for a good 5 hour paddle out at Sooke today, goofed around in the waves coming in the channel past Whiffen Spit. Nice Westerly breeze blowing off the Strait of Juan De Fuca. Combined with the minimal tides today made for great, predictable conditions to play in the bigger stuff. Some big breaking waves and lots of excitement. Took a trip out to Possesion Point for some edging and self-rescue practice. Too hairy out towards Donaldson/Secretary Island though so I turned around and headed back... :shock:

Had a blast! :D :D :D

BTW... the wreck out in Sooke Harbour... the 'Clementine Filberg' is interesting. Asked a local commercial fisherman and was told it was a Great Lakes tug that found it's way out west. If anyone knows more about it I'd be interested.

daniel

8. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

I love it off Donaldson in a big 30 - 40 knot blow with tide aiding and abetting the mayham. Very white-knuckle stuff. Guaranteed to get a few Inuit roles in too. Don't expect to get any pictures. Once it is all developed along the bluffs, I'll have to find elsewhere for my private dances. If it get's too much? You can get to Iron Mine Bay for some relief or walk out if it gets too dark on the trail out.

Go slow and careful for now!

Darn careful if you are solo. Know where the tides will take you if you come out of your boat.

Doug L

9. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

I'm going through paddling withdrawal. I've been too busy packing, and stressing out about the move at the end of the month to go anywhere.

10. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

I'll sometimes get up Sunday morning and be on the water at first light. I'll get a Java from the gas-station, loads of Irish Creamers and a big Cherry Danish and head out to my fav headland, back in time for church with the family (an expectation to be there). While I always fall asleep through the sermon, I've already had my church service in the big "Blue Dome." There are always opportunities to get out. Rough water night paddling are another fav. Everyone's asleep, no one misses me. Once you get your skills to a ho-hum, another boring gale stage, little in the way of safety concerns slow you down from the unusual paddles.

I do use a boat-to-person tether some days still. And I practice paddling my yak fully swamped in the conditions likely to spill me over. I also don't come out of my boat without a struggle these days. Don't care how bad my lungs are screaming for air.

Whatever, just get out. Even on flat water. Just don't spend all your time practicing Greeland rolls. :D

Doug L

11. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

You have to go to church, haha. I used to have to go to church too. I even went to this christian youth group that was run by the sister of the woman who wrote 'Michelle Remembers', but that's a whole other tale.

Good job on the early morning starts, that's inspiring. Often I plan on going paddling, and then I decide it's too late in the day to make it worth while, etc.

Heh, yah realy. That's all I did, all winter long. From just before Christmas untill last month, I was at the pool every sunday working on that stuff.

I still like to practice it when I go out though, at the end of a paddle, or during a break on shore, where I can eat, and warm up after. I just throw my tuilik in the hatch, and Bob's yer uncle.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried to get my buddy to take a video of me bouncing down the gorge narrows at full rip, (in the nordkapp lv) in the balance brace position. I did a few runs, but the batteries in the camera had died :(
    I got a few funny looks from people walking across the bridge though ;)

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Like Doug, wild places are my sanctuary. Gotta have 'em; gotta go to 'em now and then to be whole.

13. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

As I'm still not 100% comfy with the safety-factor of my new ride (the S&G Forager) I'll be doing more estuary paddling this spring (typically, I spend my whole spring in the very this-time-of-year windy Juan de Fuca). I'll never forget the draw that the Columbia River held for me - river estuaries and environs normally not holding me sway. While I don't have access to anything with the scope of the Columbia nearby, there's a magical sense in these places of sea meeting water. Upstream, down, or at the interface. I assume dave is talking about, amongst other places too, the Columbia river. So, I'm taking the opportunity while I adjust to my new boat to explore some new places I'd normally not go to, which I think will be a good thing. Too much "wildness" (like crazy wild) isn't a bad thing to back off from once and awhile (for me) and do a bit more soulful paddling.

Doug l

14. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

If you wanna try again, let me know. We can get some on/under the water footage. I have two waterproof video cameras.

15. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

That would be awesome!
    I'll have time, anytime after the first. It would be cool to take some 'action' movies, with a big old skool shout out to West Coast Paddler 8)

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

sent you a PM 8)

17. elmo

elmo Paddler

I have no idea how strong the winds were but they were enough to force me to keep my paddle low and flat to the wind... Doubt they were 30 knots though :shock:

With very little tide, and winds blowing towards shore I felt I was in a fairly predictable situation. Found a few nice patches of kelp to hide in while picking my lines, having a snack, and a drink of water. I was very pleased with how quickly I was edging and bracing in response to the waves. :D

I''m going to start another thread about navigating waves because I have a few issues that I couldn't figure out while paddling. Maybe you could take a look?

I'm self-sufficient, AND very cautious. I like to find a safe place to work my way out from and return to. I want to push myself and try to work on my skills, but not be out without a quick retreat plan in an emergency. Whiffen Spit, and all the little coves on the East Sooke side of the entrance to Sooke Harbour worked well for me yesterday.

Iron Mine Bay? I'll take a look for it. Probably next time I see a slack tide and westerlies. Not sure if I'm ready to deal with severely conflicted seas but straight up waves are a blast!

daniel

18. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

There's no doubt about it. I'm living a charmed life. Finished off the month of May with another paddle. That makes 14 days this month! :D
    When life is this good you always wonder what bad things are around the corner.
    Launched at Cresent Island again, paddled up the Fraser (hard with a 7 km/hr current) and over to the Stave River. The nice thing about the spring freshet is the high water. There's even more paddling area! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Just got into a motel in Nanaimo after a most excellent week in the northern most section of the Broughton Archipelago around the Burdwood Group. I'm home tomorrow and will post some photos after I have a chance to sort through them.

I'll most likely post to a new thread as I've got a ton of pictures and stories.

It was a truly fantastic paddling experience and I can't wait to go back.

20. swazicar

swazicar Paddler

Clayoquot Sound

With some help from others, I may be almost smart enough to link to some images.

Cow Bay:
    [​IMG]

Several of the nearly 8 million small jellyfish in the neighborhood of Whaler Island
    [​IMG]