WHERE DID YOU PADDLE - May 2016

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by drahcir, May 3, 2016.

1. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Today I paddled the
    Eleven Bridges Over Untroubled Waters.

I started from Sandpoint's 3rd Avenue Pier on the Pend Oreille River heading east, into a tiny edge of Lake Pend Oreille, then north up Sand Creek. After bridge 11 (locally called Popsicle Stick Bridge), I turned around and went home.

2. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

That is one mess 'o bridges! :big_thumb

I've never seen a real bridge made of Popsicle sticks.

3. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

There once was a popsicle stick factory on the road leading to the bridge, hence the name. The bridge was repaired maybe 10 years ago and is used for bicycle and foot traffic, as well as for fishing. There is no car/truck traffic.

4. Bluenose

Bluenose Paddler

Another Nova Scotia day trip. Eleven of us went to Five Islands, located in the Bay of Fundy where the tidal range is between 35 and 50 feet. It was an unusual day for May 1 as there was no wind to speak of. Air temp 14 degrees, water temp 3 degrees. Trip distance 17km.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Last Saturday I met a friend at Percy Priest Lake (TN). He is someone I used to work with (now retired), who has canoeing experience and lately has done a lot of backcountry camping, but his knees are putting an end to that and he is interested in camping from a kayak. So I offered to let him try mine to see if it's for him. I know you guys will be proud of me that I borrowed a PFD for him, even though he would be staying in a protected bay and in my sight the whole time. :) He really enjoyed paddling a lot and is planning on getting all outfitted after he returns from a trip he's going on. I recommended that he take some water safety classes, and once he's all trained and outfitted, we can go out together sometimes. Always good to have another paddling buddy!

Here he is, happy as a clam!

After he had paddled around for a while, he went on home and I took off for what was planned to be a short paddle. I had plans with a friend that evening, and since I live so far out and have farm chores to do, that meant getting home no later than 2 PM. Didn't quite make that, as I ended up being out more than 4 hours due to the wind! When I set out, it was light and not really a factor. Saw the local university crew teams working out--they store their boats at the marina from whence I launched.

It took me about 45 min to get to my lunch spot, but by the time I got back on the water, the wind had kicked up and was against me the whole way back. Really could not cling to the shore, as that would have more than doubled my mileage going back, so I had to make 2 longish crossings completely against the wind. Couldn't stop for a float break because I would lose ground. The sailboats were VERY happy! They were everywhere.

Ended up taking a second break just before the second big crossing, as I was TIRED!

As I set out for home, the wind kept shifting around, so that sometimes it was head-on and sometimes to the side. The swells were big enough laterally for me to brace occasionally--not sure that was really necessary, but it was good practice. Here's a pic I took where the horizon was perfectly straight until the swell lifted us up!

Finally got back. Took me 2.5 hours to travel the same distance as it took me to travel 45 min earlier in the day! I was driving madly for home when my friend called to tell me she was sick and couldn't go to the concert that evening--which I was sad to hear, but at least it meant I didn't have to rush.

I never like dead calm days, so no complaints even though it was hard work. I feel that days like that are good practice for REAL water, and that's why I do this, after all! :)

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Out again this Saturday! Went to Center Hill Lake (TN), which is one of my favorites. My new paddling buddy, Joel, came along.

We launched out of Holmes Creek, where I've launched from before, but in the past I went Southeast, and this time we went Northwest. We had a very bracing headwind the entire way out, so the whole trip was only about 8 miles in 6 hours (5 hours of paddling), which sounds terrible, but it was a serious headwind. And of course, it had dropped by the time we returned, so that while the return trip was faster, it wasn't as fast as it would have been had the wind persisted.

It was overcast when we launched, but still very lovely. Center Hill is nice because there is more variation in terrain than at some of the local lakes. And it's pretty quiet.

We quickly got cold. It was in the 50s and seemed warm enough at the launch point, but once we got out in the wind, we were cold. My hands got very cold. So we stopped so I could suit up. Put on a fleece and my pogies, and after that I was comfy.

After a while we stopped for lunch.

Joel is a backpacker, and always brings his stove. So I had hot tea with my lunch, which was much appreciated! Here is working with his Trangia.

In this pic, there is a heron flying. He's that dark spot in the middle. ;-)

Back underway, and things got warmer as the sun came out.

Eventually I was able to shed the fleece and the pogies.

On the way back, we had the wind behind us at LAST. Joel was able to put up his SAIL! I'd seen them here on the forum, but never in the flesh. He was able to take a 10 minute paddle break while I worked hard to keep up LOL.

And a shot from his cockpit.

All in all, it was a great day. And a MUCH harder workout than our mere 8 miles would suggest LOL! :)

7. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Did a 5 hour river trip with some friends the other day. One canoe and two kayaks. Great weather with a little forest fire smoke.

8. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Where was this? It's beautiful!

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

BigandSmall is based in Fort St. George, I think, from his FSG notation below the avatar. Maybe 300 miles N of the border, central BC. Beautiful country with big bugs and big bears. Moose, too.

10. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

FSJ? = Fort St. John, NE BC, an area where the site C dam project will create a whole lot more paddling space once completed.... :popcorn:

11. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Close Dave, you had the Fort part but Tatlow has the right answer. That's the Peace River not too far downstream from Hudson's Hope And yes the Site C will take out that portion of river from near there to down towards Taylor. It's a nice 5 hour run counting lunch to go from Lynx Creek to the Halfway River until they build the dam. Great way to spend a Sunday.

12. designer

designer Paddler

BigAndSmall - so not to hijack this thread, I posted a question about your sail rig in the Gear Forum.

13. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

DUCK RIVER, TN.

Yesterday I took the day off, with the intention of going to Center Hill Lake with a friend. He bailed on me, so I thought I would go to Lake Normandy, a new lake (to me) down south. I was 5 min from my house when the weather report said that rain and storms were predicted (which it had not said when I checked the weather online earlier). Around here, esp. in the spring and summer, "storms" can often mean lightning and tornadoes, so I rethought the 3 hour round-trip drive and decided to head to the Duck River, just 20 min from me. That way, if things went south, as it were, I would never be far from shore or home.

The Duck is a pleasant little river, but pretty boring, really. Just a long tunnel of green, with little variation! I went upriver about 2 miles, then came back. The current is minimal except in a few locations where the water level is lower and I had to really work to get up the "rapids," as it were.

The tunnel of green.

After a while, it started to rain.

Then it got stronger.

There was never any thunder or lightning, though, so I wasn't bothered.

I saw a lot of blue herons.

And cows! Surprising that farmers don't fence the cows off from the river.

So, not a terribly exciting day, but pleasant enough, and I'll try Lake Normandy some day soon!

14. eriktheviking

eriktheviking Paddler

Foch Lagoon on the Douglas Channel out of Kitimat

Spent a day out with Kitimat Kayaking. Today they had a day trip where the kayaks are transported about halfway down the Douglas Channel to Foch Lagoon. The Douglas Channel itself was very rough- windy and complex waves, so transport out of Kitimat was a necessity. Slow going- took nearly double the normal transit time. Given the conditions, the choice was to go into the isolated Foch lagoon.

Access to the lagoon is really openly feasible near slack tide. As it was there was still a 1-2 foot high jump from the outflow as we arrived ~2 hrs before slack, so the mothership was essential to get in.

Once out of the Channel, it was pretty calm- more like lake paddling. Many seals in the lagoon, and I saw eagles and various shorebirds. No porpoises sighted today.

We laid out the kayaks once we were well inside the lagoon. I paddled up to the north end beach- passing various waterfalls and shore cliffs. Surprisingly no bear sightings either.

After ~4 hrs of paddling we loaded the kayaks back up on the raft and headed back out. Contrary to forecast, the afternoon was calmer in the Douglas Channel

Thanks to Brenda and Steve of Kitimat Kayaking for working hard to get us out on a day with difficult conditions in the Channel. I am hoping to go out with them again later this summer into the Union Passage Marine Park area.