WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? Nov. 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by waverider, Nov 4, 2007.

1. waverider

waverider Paddler

Decided to paddle Stave lake this afternoon, well the lower part of the lake that is. Paddled up to Lone tree island via the east side of the lake. I thought the noise from all the off roaders would spoil the paddle but hardly heard them at all ( and yes there was plenty of them out there.)
    Overall it is a lake worth revisiting.
    Met another Kayaker that just moved here from Halifax, so he should be popping up on the site soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Sometimes a day comes along when you realize you have to just forget about responsibilities and go out and enjoy yourself (well, when you're self-employed, that seems to happen quite a lot). :lol:

WetElvis and I arranged to meet for a paddle out towards Race Rocks, which is an area exposed to strong currents and significant winds; it's the narrowest part of the Juan de Fuca Strait and the southern-most tip of Vancouver Island, about a 40 minute drive south-west of Victoria.

Paddling out towards William Head (distant right), the Race Rocks lighthouse is barely visible in the distance.
    [​IMG]

A welcoming comittee arrives to greet us. There were many California Sea Lions out at the rocks today; this group of cows was part of a group of about 20 frolicking in the water as we neared the islands.
    [​IMG]

The lighthouse towers above on a beautiful, warm autumn day.
    [​IMG]

More activity in the water
    [​IMG]

A lone male comes out to investigate. Most of the animals seemed relatively unthreatened by us - with sea lions, that's a very good thing.
    [​IMG]

A few times every minute, the sea lions would appear from the depths all together, many of them jumping clear out of the air, quite close to us.
    [​IMG]

More frolicking. For distance scale, that black thing in the foreground is my paddle blade.
    [​IMG]

A solitary bull wriggles off his rock, circles us a few times, and climbs back on his shelf. I was quite happy positioning myself behind WetElvis as he checked us out.
    [​IMG]

Canada Geese stand patriotically beneath their flag, below the lighthouse. Note the canon in front of the tower.
    [​IMG]
    The island is an ecological reserve, so access to the island is not permitted other than for educational institutions and arranged in advance. Thus, the cynic in me has to wonder about the bronze plaque at the base of the light. :roll:

A couple enjoys the sun as we paddle by.
    [​IMG]

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Nice pictures you guys.

I was up in the interior this past weekend where I met up with Kasey to do some local lake paddling at Headwater Lakes (above Peachland -- accessed on forestry roads). Unfortunately, the water was a bit on the hard side so our boats didn't even get wet:

[​IMG]

On our way back we had a bit of excitement -- we were driving along the dirt roads from the lake and noticed some tire tracks of someone who was obviously driving very fast on the road ahead of us -- there were signs of four wheel drifts around corners, etc. As we came around one fairly tight corner at the top of a hill, 3 young people and two motocrossers were at the edge of the road, looking down the steep embankment. It turned out that it was four teenagers in the car -- it had rolled about 100 feet down the embankment before wedging upsidedown against a tree -- minutes before we arrived (the three kids were from the car, the motorcyclists had stopped to help). Amazingly, all four of the occupants were perfectly fine except for one fellow getting a small nick on his forehead. We couldn't believe they were all OK after seeing the car down the bank. We drove the four of them to Westbank so they could make arrangements to retrieve the car.

The car is visible in the centre of the photo:
    [​IMG]

4. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Hey Mark, did you run there into a big male lion that made a noise as if it was an old segull engine?

We visited Race Rocks just a few days ago as well. The lions were not really happy to see us in their waters. I, too tried to position myself behind paddlers, not wanting to expose my folding craft to their teeth.

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

There were quite a few bulls on the islands; I think all of them were Californias. I'm not totally familiar with the sounds of British marine engines so I can't accurately compare their sounds... :? :wink:

We only encountered a few barks and grunts; there were some noises emanating from the well-occupied rocks, but I don't think they were any more boisterous because of our presence. So, I didn't get the impression from any of them that we were unwelcome; they just seemed curious as to what we were. The breaching seemed to be going on regardless of our distance, so perhaps they were fishing. I tend to stay farther away from them when they bark directly at me; I've had one bump my boat a few times and that's more than a bit unsettling. But in comparison, they all seemed quite contented today, frolicking and basking on their rocks.

6. Rootman

Rootman Paddler

Turner River, Big Cypress National Preserve, Nov. 4.
    [​IMG]

7. Rootman

Rootman Paddler

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I shot a bit of video on another trip across Baines Channel and into the Chatham Islets a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd put together another little video, just for fun. It highlights what you might expect to see in this great play spot - some light wind waves, a bit of current, and the usual 'messing around in boats'. :lol:

Just Another Day Paddle (Once again, YouTube has butchered the video quality :evil: )

BTW it's best with the sound cranked 8)

9. andreas

andreas Paddler

great, thanks mark!
    Now I got stuck for 2 hours at Youtube again :roll:

10. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

:lol:

Hey, we've got a 30 knot sou-westerly forecast for Haro Strait tomorrow morning - looks like I'll have more footage to play with tomorrow afternoon! :p Too bad everyone else is out of town! :evil: Oh well, it's been a while since I had a good solo session anyway.

11. Dan_Millsip

Very cool video Mark. I really like the music too. 8)

Is that pink boat a Necky Eliza?

How come whenever you and Wet Elvis get "into it" you seem to be the guy getting the rolling practice?

12. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Nope, that's a Chatham 17. I think he'd prefer if you called it red. :lol: Hmmm... did I have my white balance mis-calibrated that day? :oops:

Trust me, we all get our share of rolling! :twisted: I tend to edit out the bits of Elvis falling out of his boat though (I prefer to stay in mine, since I don't have a drysuit!). The 'bull ride' near the end of the clip is the result of two guys tossing my boat around - some good bracing practise!

13. Dan_Millsip

Took advantage of yesterday's sunny weather and went with Raimo and Mick to paddle from Eagle Harbour to Point Atkinson, over to Whitecliff Park and back to Eagle Harbour. Thanks to Raimo for the suggestion of paddling here -- it was a great way to spend a beautiful November day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tkcoffey

tkcoffey Paddler

great pics
    what type of camera do you use?

15. Dan_Millsip

These shots were taken with a Canon S3 IS.

16. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Great lighthouse shots! I like lighthouses... :wink:

Despite the unfulfilled promise of 30 knot winds, we paddled from Oak Bay Marina around Trial Island yesterday. Seas were basically flat with no wind to speak of, but it was a good chance to get a little more time in a boat I've neglected for far too long!

The put in
    [​IMG]

A lone California sea lion in Entrerprise Channel
    [​IMG]

The Lighthouse at Trial Island
    [​IMG]

17. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

More pictures of that great day with Dan and Mick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

One more picture of the rarely seen water gopher.

[​IMG]

19. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

I I paddled at Washington Park Arboretum on last Sunday.
    [​IMG]

Oh well, I tried...different kayak, different setting. But I made it after 2 failures. This boat was really quick to roll back up. Let's see how many more weeks I can do this into winter 8)

[​IMG]

20. hairymick

hairymick Paddler

G'day guys,

Great piccies!!

With winter coming on up your way, here are a couple from this area. :lol:

Point Vernon, Hervey Bay

[​IMG]

My wife, Robin, Burrum River, Hervey Bay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elliott River ( Just north from Hervey Bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]