• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? November 2006

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
I did a rainy 3-day paddle trip with my daughter this past Rememberance day weekend to Twin Islands in Indian Arm. Needless to say, it rained. And rained. And rained. Despite the enourmous amounts of precipitation we ended up having a terrific time (mostly hanging out under our tarp setup, but we did do some hiking around the island). It's quite a lot different paddling with my kids now that they're in their own boats -- definitely time well spent...

Heading out from Deep Cove:
nov-11-06-01.jpg

Our home for the weekend -- the tarps came in handy:
nov-11-06-02.jpg

For those of you who have been to Twin Islands, you can see how unusually high the tide was in this photo -- we almost had to walk uphill on the ramp to the dock:
nov-11-06-03.jpg

Marker light at the north end of the island:
nov-11-06-03a.jpg

There were lots of seals this weekend:
nov-11-06-04.jpg

nov-11-06-05.jpg

Goretex is a good thing. :wink:

Dan wrote:

Goretex is a good thing.

Sheesh! That is some majorly wet ground! Must have come from the same system that pasted us. One weather station south of here got about 13-14 inches in one day, an Oregon record.

Mt Rainier got 19 inches, IIRC.

Mike_Jackson said:
Managed to get out today and paddled around in Oak Bay in the wind, rain and waves.
http://www.islandnet.com/~mjackson/pblo ... -1200.html
That's a rather ugly looking day, Mike. There's nothing like paddling in the rain (so long as you're prepared for it).

Wow. Over 1200 kms to date!

I thought Mark and I were the only ones who tracked our milage. Haven't totalled mine up for this year yet but I had paddled 1634 kms last year and had 35 bag nights (I'm pretty sure that the numbers will be a bit lower for this year).

Paddling in the rain - courtesy of Kokatat! :D
I decided to try tracking my kms on a Jan 1st paddle this year and went on from there... My original goal was 1000 km. I surprised myself in that I was easly able to log each trip and post the track.
Looking at the year, I am pretty sure that less than 10% of the paddles could be classified as poor weather days.

Rootman said:
Cameraman was a Newfie in a sailing canoe.
LOL! There's a lot to be said for image stabilization. 8O

Are you sure the unsteady filming didn't have anything to do with the big cooler that's directly in front of the camera man?

Just watched it for a second time. I'm sure the cooler had something to do with the technical problems. :lol:

Very nice looking boat though. 8)

As they say in Ukraine " nice day...if you're a frog".
Dan,I see a fiberglass Elaho in the photos. :D rental or another addition to the family fleet?
Were the mosquitos out at all in this kind of weather or are they all hiding/dead this season?

Rider, the boat you're looking at is a Necky Tahsis. It's a demo from WC&K. My daughter wanted something a bit faster than what she's been paddling -- the Tahsis fit the bill nicely.

No bugs. Not sure where they were, but they weren't with us, which is a good thing.

Oh cool. I've never paddled a Tahsis but was always curious because it looks like a longer elaho with less rocker.
Not to bastardise this thread,but Dan, since you work at Western C&K,have you had a chance to get your hands on a Seaward Quantum? Everething about it just fits my idea of a perfect touring kayak.

The Tahsis actually has a channel that runs the length of the keel -- it's a very different hull design. My daughter thought that it was one of the fast boats that she's paddled.

Haven't seen the Quantum as we're not a Seaward dealer.

Last night, Robert and Mick and I did a 12 km urban night paddle around Port Moody from Rocky Point Marine to Caraholly Point (across from Barnet Marine Park). There weren't too many places where it was light enough for picture taking but I managed to get a few shots.

Robert and Mick paddle alongside a deep sea ship tied up at Pacific Coast Bulk Terminals:
portmoody-01.jpg

The same ship from the bow -- that small light at the base of the bow is Robert:
portmoody-02.jpg

Close-up of Robert at the base of the bow:
portmoody-03.jpg

After paddling along the south shore past Reed Point Marina we crossed over to the north shore and paddled in front of the Burrard Thermal Generating Station :
portmoody-04.jpg

Closer view:
portmoody-05.jpg

Mick stops for a look at the Esso refinery:
portmoody-06.jpg

The lighting was terrific at the Ioco Yacht Club:
portmoody-07.jpg

On our return trip we crossed back to the south shore and paddled past the deep sea ships once again :
portmoody-08.jpg

HairyMick, the temperature tonight while we were out was about 7 degrees C (the low for the day, high was about 12 C) -- rather comfortable night here -- and the rain held off. Our coldest month in Vancouver is January where temps might drop below freezing but usually it hovers a few degrees above. Our hottest month is July with average temps about 23 degrees. It's quite livable.

(where we paddled tonight is a shipping port located about 20 km east of downtown Vancouver)

Mike_Jackson said:
Great night shots! I was impressed with the picture quality. What gear did you use?
I took the shots with my Canon S1 IS. Bumped the ISO up to 200, camera set on Priority mode and shortened the exposure by 2/3 of a stop. Then I held the camera as steady as I could (with image stability turned on) and asked Robert and Mick to stay as still as possible when they were in the picture.

Most exposures worked out to around 1/4 of a second or more -- as you can imagine, I had a few blurry shots but some shots turned out OK.

I used pretty much the same technique when I took photos of the 2005 English Bay fireworks.

Paddlers pelted with sideways snow!

Mick and I headed out for a snowy (and very windy) Sunday afternoon paddle at Buntzen Lake today. Oddly enough, we had the whole lake to ourselves. :wink:

Kayaksicles:
buntzen05nov_01.jpg

buntzen05nov_02.jpg

buntzen05nov_03.jpg

buntzen05nov_04.jpg

buntzen05nov_05.jpg

Hi All

I was camping on Prevost Saturday night and paddled back Sunday. Oddly enough I had the whole place to myself as well! :p

Elvis

Back