WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? November 2006

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dan_Millsip, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

2. Malin2

Malin2 Paddler

Dan

If it's not a rude question, could you tell me how you and Mick were dressed for your snowy day paddle. I'm trying to decide what cold weather gear to invest in. I read many differing opinions so I'd be interested in yours.

Thanks

Ed

3. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

for me
    -earmuffs (i carry a fuzzyrubber hoody in my shoulder sleeve) - but i was kicking myself as i arrived as i forgot my earmuffed souwester.
    -drytop(gasketted) with 2 lyr poly pro and one cotton t-shirt(bad bad)
    (this is an 5 yr old leaky kokatat drytop that needs to be replaced
    with something better but i can' t afford it and i wont buy mango,
    chutney, paisly, parsley or cheese coloured even if i die first)
    -drypants with 1 ly polypro and baggy shorts
    -wetsuit booties
    -pogies - these are absolutely amazing for when you are paddling, but are
    positively abysmal for takeout and putin when they're off. my
    hands froze up so much i could not even operate the webstraps to tie
    the yak up. (had to warm my hands up for a few min.)

in short, i was marginal. but other than the watertemp being close to zero(very, very cold lake), the conditions were benign.

4. Dan_Millsip

Ahem... speaking from the fashion circles that I associate, I dress purely for function. I'll even wear mango if need be -- after all, it's better to look stupid than to be stupid. I won't however wear anything that is pink or is a colour that resembles pink -- although a bit more tolerant than Mick, I do have my limits.

OK, in the blue Telkwa, I was sporting, from the top down:

- An OR Research Nimbus Sombrero (the non-Goretex, less pricey but very adequate version of the fabled Seattle Sombrero).

- A headband thing that my daughter gave me to cover my ears with -- it worked great and I won't again leave home without it.

- A Kokatat GoreTex Paclite Paddling Jacket. No latex gaskets but very effective rubberized seals on the cuffs and neck. It's a bit light but it does the job at a reasonable price.

- A Kokatat OuterCore Long Sleave fleece top.

- A full length 3 mm farmer john wetsuit.

- An MEC Rapidi-T short sleeved synthetic t-shirt.

- synthetic underwear top and bottom.

- A pair of MEC Swellies (knee high neoprene boots).

- Pogies -- these things are the greatest for keeping your hands warm. This was the first time that I've tried them, and I'm sold on them for cold weather. I've never worn a pair of gloves that have kept my hands this warm. As Mick states, the one caveat about pogies is that your hands quickly get cold when taken out of them -- next time I'll carry a pair of "land" gloves for when I get out of the boat.

Despite temperatures around -2 to -4 and a strong wind, at no time did I feel the slightest bit chilly. In fact, on the paddle back I was thinking about how warm I actually was.

Although I would have survived a swim in Buntzen Lake yesterday, I don't think it would have been a lot of fun.

I also had a complete change of clothes (heavy fleece), toque, shoes, and a towel in a dry bag just in case I did need to get out of wet gear.

5. Malin2

Malin2 Paddler

Thanks to both of you for sharing that information. It is the most complete description I've read so far.

I am leaning towards the dry-top and dry-pants combo for the outerwear. I'm not sure about wetsuits. Do you wear anything between the neoprene and your skin? My, aren't we getting personal.
    I just don't think I would be comfortable with just the neoprene. My experience with it relates to fishing waders, and there I always have fleece pants, and long underwear, between me and the neoprene.

For the hands I have been wearing my neoprene fishing gloves. They only seem to get warm after they are wet. Until then my hands are very cold. The pogies sound like a better option.

Ed

6. mick_allen

ok, ok - the gloves are off now!!

7. Dan_Millsip

Put 'em up, put 'em up. :lol:

Malin2, I just wear underwear and the synthetic t-shirt under the neoprene. Always do this and don't find it uncomfortable at all -- if I were to wear long johns or something underneath, I think I'd be too warm.

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Ed, when I paddle in conditions like that, I'm in a full dry suit, now. In years past, before the dry suit, I'd wear a 3mm FJ, two heavy layers of fleece up top under a paddlejacket (latex at the cuffs; neoprene at the neck), thin gloves on the hands, under fleece-lined pogies (love them!!), a fleece hat under a souwester hat. And, Chota boots, fleece lined.

When the air temp is below freezing and the water is about 10C or lower, I think I need all of that to effect a re-entry. If the water is at 5C or colder, I wonder if it is enough.

The dry suit is a wonderful deal, although expensive.

9. hairymick

hairymick Paddler

In winter here, I wear a shirt. :lol:

You guys are insane!

I like that. :D

BTW more amazing picies. Thank you. :D

10. Dan_Millsip

Mick, this weather is quite unusual for this time of year. Usually, November is quite wet and sometimes a bit chilly, but rarely do temperatures drop below freezing. We tend to get a couple of cold weeks in January or February and if it snows during those cold spells, the snow is usually gone in a few days.

A big problem that we have here when it snows is that the snow is usually quite wet and it packs down hard and turns to ice as people drive cars on it. Throw in a few hills, which we have in abundance here, and things get interesting quite fast. A good dumping like we're getting right now and a lot of non-essential businesses shut their doors and go home (which will take hours longer than normal).

A bigger problem, however, is that a lot of people drive like idiots or don't have any idea how to drive in this stuff. In a way, I find it quite humorous to see cars all over on the sides of our highways.

It's snowing like a son of a gun right now but the forecast for the weekend is calling for rain.

The entertainment will be gone soon. :cry: :wink:

11. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

OK Mick...you asked for it - just how hairy are you?
    8O

12. mick_allen

i would also like to see a couple or pics from wetelvis on his trip to prevost - or at least a short description of the weather (any snow or snow falling?) and sea conditions and what HE was wearing.

dan and i were just short term dabblers compared to paddling out some distance and then staying over nite like he did. It must have been just wonderful to be out there and in relative control of the situation. ( i have a soft spot for that island as i am a relative rookie to kayak camping and that place was my first)

so 'wetelvis', were you wet - and cold? what did you wear, or wished you wore or brought along?

13. wetelvis

wetelvis Paddler

Hi All

The conditions for the paddle to Prevost was calm and the temp. was comfortable for what I was wearing.
    Wool socks
    Long undies
    Quick dry pants
    couple t shirts, wool long sleeve shirt
    Dry suit

Started to snow about a hour after setting up camp but it was`nt till morning that it really started to stick( with all the rain we`ve been having Prevost was like a muddy sponge ).

Around camp I wore pretty much the same thing except for a heavy fleece drysuit liner minus the dry suit( took up more space in the boat then my sleeping bag ).

The paddle home was cold and quick( surfed half the way back ).

I`ll work on getting some pictures up on the site( not too sure how to do it yet ). :oops:

Elvis

14. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

You can see him here :wink: .

15. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

:oops: Forgot he lives in Paradise....