WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? November 2009

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by DarrenM, Nov 1, 2009.

1. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

goofin around in Portage Inlet/Colquitz Creek today. Sunny and 13... not bad for Nov 1st

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rider

rider Paddler

Sometimes you do things for fun despite your better judgement, sometimes you do it hoping it'll all be good, and sometimes you do things because you're just plain stupid that day. By 'you' I mean "me".
    Went to Port Renfrew for the weekend with my friend Sarah, mostly because I wanted to go to the west coast, the surf promised something,and I totally mixed up months that a group I know is heading there.
    The wave was there at Gordon river, but i thought it looked precariously close to being a shore dumper at best of times. And it's dirty,really dirty. But all I brought was 2 whitewater boats and I wanted to surf.
    Suited up, slid down the little slope into Gordon river, paddled to the break. Caught the first catchable wave. Was having a pretty sweet ride,and realized the shore is coming up quickly,and the wave is way too steep to even think of peeling off it. And the wave turned into a 4.5 ft high gross black wall of water,bark mulch, shreds of leaves, soil and sticks ranging from pinky finger sized to arm sized. Side surf,braced deep into it, as it came down on me. I stayed upright, got bounced on shore just to get sucked back out and hit by the next one,stayed upright, gave up on the idea of coming back out through that sh*t, got hit by another one, popped the skirt and jumped out.
    Did it again the next day,in a different boat ,but by then the water was clear and the wave *looked* like less of a shore dumper-but was awfully similar in reality.
    Good trip,but now i have a better idea what rides aren't really meant to be taken. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Rider, were you camping at port rainfrew?

4. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Scary stuff Rider - great pics though! :D

5. rider

rider Paddler

Sort of, slept in the car at the near-empty campsite on the Gordon River side of the beach. Beautiful spot,awesome weather. More pics to follow when i download ones in my camera, those shots were taken by Sarah.

6. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Ewww!! Sounds and looks pretty messy to me! Great photos rider (aka crazyrider)...doesn't look like a good paddle to me!! :lol:

7. rider

rider Paddler

Here's some pics, first few from the last trip I made to Tofino, and rest from the trip to Port Renfrew.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. nootka

nootka Paddler

"My roll isn't working, but I can balance brace all day

[​IMG]
    background: the Campbell River Paddlers cleaned up a large amount of styrofoam from the estuary Nov 7 & 8.

9. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Just a lovely day paddle offshore of Tofino.

Launched from MacKenzie Beach. Crossed to Lennard Island, took a look at the Lighthouse, went around the outside, than crossed to Cox Bay Pt. After that, ducked back intowards shore, and cruised along the surf line, saying hi to Surfers, and landed back at MacKenzie.

Great day, seas were only 2m, and winds were a only SE 10... excellent.

[​IMG]
    Lennard Is. Lighthouse
    [​IMG]
    Some foam near Cox Pt.

10. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

MIDCOAST North Shore MN Lake Superior

Water is getting pretty cold. I blew the neck gasket on my drysuit so I was wearing a wetsuit. Damn, I'm becoming a wussy.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UviKhx8MGjQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UviKhx8MGjQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lmBVOMmDNRI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lmBVOMmDNRI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

11. AM

AM Paddler

Kheyashunka, just curious: how cold is cold? The sea is 9 celcius here (48 fahr.). Last year during our cold snap (January), it dropped to 6 celcius.

12. nootka

nootka Paddler

When I lived in the interior of BC, cold water was between 0° and 1° Celcius. I wore a face mask for rolling practice.

[​IMG]
    If the boat ramps were not plowed, I had to drag my kayak to the reservoir.

[​IMG]
    Sunny days were highly appreciated.

13. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

MidCoast

Gitchee Gumme was skim icing in protected areas, I'd say waters about 34F... notice that I'm dumping my mittens pretty regualar. I have never paddled on the big lake later than November...or traversed the ice to get to open water. I do that on some of the in town lakes though.

14. explorermike

explorermike Paddler

Working with a couple of new toys on Florencia beach (Tofino area) last weekend...
    The surf kayak is new to me about a month ago, and the helmet cam just arrived in the mail. Here is the video result. Clear calm weather is always a treat this time of year.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b27JpF2Cbv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b27JpF2Cbv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27JpF2Cbv0

15. sludge

sludge Paddler

Wow, gotta love that Explorermike.

16. AM

AM Paddler

That's a fun video, Mike. The conditions seemed ideal. What's the make/model of that surf boat?

17. nootka

nootka Paddler

Went for a nice paddle yesterday on Discovery Passage; stopped for a break at the Cape Mudge Lighthouse.
    [​IMG]

18. THR

THR Paddler

explorermike i am soooo jealous! great video. love the helmet cam view.

19. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Ahhh awesome - and here my son thinks the only way to go to Tofino is with a surfboard? :lol:

20. swazicar

swazicar Paddler

[​IMG]

Columbia River east of Stevenson, Wash., looking upriver to Wind Mountain. Followed by a visit to Walking Man Brewing.

-tom a.
    pdx