• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? November 2009

Many thanks for the kind comments on kayak surfing - in response to make / model, the kayak is a Spike Gladwin Stingray, as I understand it the Stingray was the big brother and predecessor of the Necky Spyder.

And it just so happens that I got out to Port Rentfrew last weekend, and have a summary of some more rides and carnage... Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQWedl0da68

Surfing always provides both nice rides, and thrashings - heavier on the thrashings when you're learning, and don't yet know how to stay out of the way...

But it's all part and parcel to being in the place where the wave gives up all of its energy. For example, have read that the average wave is running about 10 mph / 8 kts / 16 kph as it is headed for the beach. Turn to the side and run at 30 degrees off the face of the wave (like board surfers) and double your speed... So often, a thrashing consists of hitting the water at high speed followed by being landed on by a large amount of turbulent water. Call it a double bonus.

I kinda gotta say at this point, that it's really important to be very mindful of what happens to you and your paddle when the wave is working you over. If you're not careful, paddles and occasionally people can get damaged.

On average my memory of how "things happened" when getting run over by the wave runs 2 times slower than what the video shows. Surprises me every time I get home and start checking the video. It's the best example I've seen so far as to how your mind can slow highly stressful situations down....

Back