WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - November 2010

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by mbiraman, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Hadn't been out for a couple of weeks, cold rain and two days ago snow flurries, but today was sunny and about 5* so i thought better get out there. For me it was the coldest weather i'd been out in having started in June so it was a bit of a test. I wore my immersion stuff today and felt like something vacuum packed , a bit claustrophobic at first but i got use to it and the good thing was i got my dry top just right and after putting my fleece , FJ, Tempest pants , booties and dry top on the neck gasket was suddenly a non issue, yeah. I know this is old stuff for you folks but a little big day for me . I found a good place to paddle for the winter and its right up the valley from my place. At this time of the yr the waters slower in the river and lower as well so i can put in, paddle upstream and float/paddle down. My feet were a bit cold so i'll double up on the socks next time. Forgot to put the broccolli elastics on my newly made GP so my gloves for a bit wet but ok. I think i will invest in a food thermos as i don't know how long i want to sit around cooking food but we'll see. Anyway a good day and i'm beat even tho it was just a few hrs. Here's some pics.

Lost the sun at first.
    [​IMG]

Then just as i took off it came out.
    [​IMG]

A couple of pics farther up river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the new GP i made a while ago
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AM

AM Paddler

Nice GP. What wood did you use on the tips?

3. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Thanks. The wood is Padouk, i had some laying around the shop from instrument making.

4. kiliii

kiliii New Member

Hey, nice photos! A great day to be out paddling, I'm sure. Not often you get mirrorlike water lke that!

5. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

Callaghan cheakamus birkenhead lillooet lakes

Weekend blitz

Cheakamus Lake - Nov. 13
    Birkenhead Lake - Nov. 12
    Callaghan Lake, lillooet lake - Nov. 11

lillooet lake was a ugly silty brown not sure if anyone knows the area >? I wasn't expecting it this time of year..

Callaghan Lake - Nov. 11

Winter route blockade that I had to shovel
    [​IMG]

ice !!
    [​IMG]
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZsuMRPcPc44/TOD8x ... /panom.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Birkenhead Lake - Nov. 12
    wildlife
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pano
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZsuMRPcPc44/TOD8z ... panom2.jpg

Cheakamus Lake - Nov. 13
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Re: Callaghan cheakamus birkenhead lillooet lakes

Nice pix. I've hiked up to do an over night to Cheakamus - did you wheelie the kayaks up? If so, was it tricky and how long did it take?

7. eriktheviking

eriktheviking Paddler

Perhaps there is still a lot of silt in the water following the big slide upstream (near Meager Creek) in the summer. We drove through in August just after the highway reopened and there was a visible murky flow in the lake from the river, and the river was dark and muddy. If it has not yet frozen solid in there but with some precipitation, I would expect some additional material to be washed downstream.

8. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

Yes we wheeled the kayaks up and the parks sign is wrong gps was 4km not 3km. A couple of tight turns required some maneuvering back and forth. A high clearance cart with larger wheels is a plus as lots of little ups and downs causing stern to hit. As well lots of rocks,mud and roots so large soft wheels are a must.

Time wise 1.5h up and 2h down took us a extra .5h return because it was dark and snowing.

9. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

thanks erik

Well the whole lake is brown right now

10. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

Yup thats it

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/amate ... story.html

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/DSQ_Overvi ... ure-lr.pdf

UPPER LILLOOET/
    MEAGER CREEK Industrial Use FSR
    Upper Lillooet is open. Environmental conditions are being monitored and the road will be closed again without notice should the shutdown criteria be met. Meager Creek FSR is closed indefinitely; no access to the hotsprings. See map of August 2010 slide area here (Adobe format, size is 2.5 mgs)

11. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

I went out for a day paddle today in Elliott Bay, Seattle. Starting at the Seacrest Marina in West Seattle, I crossed the bay and went under the aquarium. I cruised the waterfront a bit and then paddled back across quickly due to the failing light.

Here's the route:

My original plan had been to put in at the Don Armeni Boat Ramp, which is further up the peninsula, but I just happened to spot Seacrest Marina as I drove by. It has the world's most perfect little kayak dock:

The view of downtown Seattle from Seacrest Marina, looking across Elliott Bay:

This was my first time paddling a kayak in front of downtown. It's really cool! The black-with-white-trim building and the domed roof right on the water is the aquarium:

Paddling under the aquarium, these fellows were watching me. I hope they don't call the authorities:

The fish ladder at Seattle Aquarium:

From the kayak, watching someone watching an exhibit inside the aquarium! I don't think she noticed me:

Here are a couple of Canadian patrol craft in the harbor. Per maritime protocol, they are flying the host country's ensign from the starboard shroud. while their home ensign is hanging over the transom:

A ferry departing in typical Seattle weather, destined I assume for Vashon or Bremerton. The southern portion of Elliott Bay has a lot of cargo cranes:

Ferry in the mist:

Alex

Attached Files:

12. rider

rider Paddler

With the fresh snow on the ground and temps around 2 Celsius, thought it would be a good time to paddle Buntzen lake. It is still at very high water levels. Pretty windy at times,but a nice paddle in all :)

Attached Files:

13. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Wow you guys at the coast think of everything. kayak campgrounds where you just paddle right up to the picnic table and spit and have lunch. Things are still pretty primitive here in the Kootenays where we still have to get out of the boat and walk up the beach to a site. (-;
    Nice pics Rider. We are snow to the ground here and -17 on the way.

14. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

I am impressed by the waterfront garbage containers. Now...wonder where that recycling box went?

15. ormenlange

ormenlange Paddler

Burrard Bridge to Lionsgate

Lured out by yesterdays beautiful weather for a short urban jaunt!

Attached Files:

16. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

alexsidles, thanks for posting the Seattle Harbor pictures -- it's nice to see some other urban paddling destinations -- looks like an interesting place to paddle.

Missed you by a day, ormenlange.

Last night ebluethner, Maddie, and myself went for a paddle in False Creek. Got on the water just before sundown, all bundled up in paddling gear, toques, pogies, and extra thick socks. It certainly was cold but it wasn't too terribly difficult to keep warm so long as we didn't stop.

Maddie forgot the bottom to her seat at home and ended up finding comfort in a couple of foam blocks used for carrying kayaks on roof racks. Ah, to be young, resilient, and adaptable.

Boats on the ramp at the Coast Guard station:
    [​IMG]

Heading out towards the Burrard Street bridge:
    [​IMG]

Maddie and Elsa paddling under a full moon:
    [​IMG]

Science World:
    [​IMG]

17. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

Dan, thanks for your comment. I'm a big fan of urban paddling too, and your neck of the woods in Vancouver is on my list.

My brother and I went out for a paddle in Lake Washington, Seattle, WA in the vicinity of Foster Island and the arboretum. There are several beaver lodges on this part of the lake, and we passed two of them. There was a snowstorm last night, very unusual for this time of year, which covered everything in about half an inch (1 cm) of snow: a beautiful sight!

My brother near the freeway onramps of the 520 bridge:

Me passing one of the beaver lodges:

My brother is in a Folbot Yukon, I am in a Folbot Kodiak. Strangely, there were no other paddlers on the water during the snow/freezing rain/hail flurries today!

Alex

Attached Files:

18. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Went for a paddle in English Bay yesterday with a friend. Not a long paddle as time was short but it was quite enjoyable and we checked out a freighter that was anchored in the bay.

Leaving from Jericho Beach -- there seemed to be a lot of ships anchored in English Bay:
    [​IMG]

Coast Guard vessel Osprey heading back to the station:
    [​IMG]

Man, they're big:
    [​IMG]

Big hull, little hull:
    [​IMG]

Life boat poised for launch:
    [​IMG]

Morgan checking out the port side:
    [​IMG]

Anchors aweigh: