WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? Oct 2012

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Peter-CKM, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Interesting that it is the end of October, but it doesn't seem we have one of these threads yet. Everyone hibernating already?

Went to Goat Rock off of Sonoma, California last weekend with Neptune's Rangers and some friends. Here is a trio of pics of me going through a slot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did end up upside down, shortly after the third pic, when I dropped into the hole...

There is a set of pics from this day (including one of the ones I posted) on the Neptune's Ranger Facebook page. Go to
    https://www.facebook.com/neptunesrangers to see them. The photos are in an album called Goat Rock Paddle.

Movie to come shorty, I suspect.

2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Well I'm no where near Peter's level yet, but I just got back from the Lumpy Waters symposium in Oregon. A very well organized event with lots variety of classes and instructors. Definitely a good way to start if you haven't paddled in surf. I don't have a ton of pictures as I was too busy to hold a camera. And though I got pummeled more than once, I did hold my own, for the most part.

Attached Files:

3. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

KayDubbya - I haven't made it up to Lumpy Waters yet, but have been to each year's GGSKS. Awesome events.

4. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

It's been added to the list of events that I have to attend. Not this January, but some day...

5. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Here is the video. My flip is in the first 30 seconds or so.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btv95tAY4rA[/youtube]

6. rider

rider Paddler

I think in California, things don't hurt quite as much as they look like they would...Partially because you guys are realllly good, partially because you have rocks usually covered in squishy green stuff that's a lot more friendlier to hit.

7. Reef

Reef Paddler

I have to agree with Rider.
    Obviously they are reaaallly good!
    And I dont mean to take away from the skills in the video, but what do you think of a full face helmets for this kind of paddling? Pros? Cons?
    The "upside down with your face on the reef eskimo roll" isnt very reliable for most people, especially for those in the video with back deck finishing rolls.