WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? October 07

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Badger Matt, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Badger Matt

Badger Matt Paddler

Had the day off from work and the kids were in school so me and the missus took a few hours to paddle around the mangroves in northern Tampa Bay. Lots of herons and other wading birds. Tons of mullet jumping and something big chasing them (Snook?).

The reason I want to retire soon and spend more time at home...
    [​IMG]

Mangroves. Each stem/trunk maybe an inch across.
    [​IMG]

Marian cruisin'
    [​IMG]

2. Ironman929

Ironman929 Paddler

I see why you want to retire. Looks like a nice place to paddle around.

Oh and she's cute too!
    :D

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

GWarner and I headed out to East Sooke for a paddle today. What a treat! Almost no wind, nearly cloudless skies - it could almost be condsidered warm! But wow, the water sure has gotten cold quickly this year!

I haven't spent a lot of time paddling around East Sooke, but it's becoming one of my favourite places to paddle. It's only about 45 min from town and offers paddling that's sort of a 'scaled down' west coast - some tame rock gardens and low swells. We spent the entire day paddling within a few feet from shore, 'messing around in boats' (and leaving perhaps a bit too much gel coat behind)! :oops:

Lots of tight turns and quick manouevres make for fun paddling
    [​IMG]

I follow as Gordin leads through a narrow surge channel in the low swells
    [​IMG]

Who knows, maybe I'll do up another little video too! :wink:

4. GWarner

GWarner Paddler

where did you paddle

and leaving perhaps a bit too much gel coat behind)!

Very gracious of you not to mention me turning turtle in that surge channel! :oops:

Todays paddle proved one thing to me; use them or loose them. My strokes were weak and my timing almost always off. It's been almost five weeks since I paddled the Irish sea. I simply have to get out more. Today I was sluggish all day and tired on the way back. The sluggishness resulted in a lot of white gel coat marks on otherwise nice rocks.

5. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

I went to Grayland ( south of Westport, Washington Coast) for my should-not-be my first surfing.
    It was clear, warm, and windless day on the beach.
    I was not supposed to be on the kayak today, because I got slipped disc a few weeks a go. It is not too bad ,I can still work and go kayaking if it is not crazy, but I was cautious because I did not know what to expect in the surf I've never been.
    After a while I sit on the beach looking at people having fun, I just couldn't resist and did a little ride.
    Someone helped me to get started and just shoved me off to the water. As I look back to him, I had to shout " hey!! this is my first time!! :D " I did OK till I lost control and forgot all about bracing into the wave. I survived 6 runs and 4 capsizes, at least I thought I was riding and sliding on the waves. But I was told it was not called surfing. Oh well, everybody need the first day right?

I witnessed someone's kayak's rear hatch came off and his boat washed on the beach without him. We could not find him about well maybe 15 minutes anywhere in the water. They almost called Coast Guard, and there he raised
    from the soupy water way down south. They said the kayak washed onto the beach by the wave, but he got drifted parallel to the shore by the ocean current running south at that time. good to know it and that was good reason to hold on to the boat after the exit.

Other than that it was a fun day even if I had to stay dry most of the afternoon.

I know I am drugged into the dark side of kayaking.

Nice day on the beach. This
    [​IMG]

They said it was a messy soupy water but we had fun. I even don't know what the difference between mess and clean.
    [​IMG]

Do you see the wet gear? I was really really in there!
    [​IMG]

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Sushi,

Glad you survived. Grayland is about 80 miles north of me. That is a very open beach, and not so good for kayak surfing as other places. There are lots of crab holes and rip currents there, which can take a swimmer out beyond the surf when the waves are large. The guy whose kayak washed ashore got caught in a variation of a rip current, sounds like.

It is better to go with folks who are experienced. Two beaches popular down here with kayak surfers are Short Sands Beach (Oswald West State Park) and Indian Beach (Ecola State Park). If you decide to pursue kayak surfing, here is one very experienced guide who would be good. She has built a couple Pygmies, and is very respected. Not sure when she heads down to Baja California to guide in the winter, but she is still here for a while.

Her name is Ginni Callahan. Her web site: http://www.columbiariverkayaking.com/homepage.html Look under Instruction for a surf class, and then check the calendar for availability.

7. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Thanks Dave :D
    They ( the people who took us there) knew that plase is messy place, and they informed us to keep within certain distance from the shore, and it was the day we do surf surviving clinic. We were having too much fun that we forgot it was clinic day :oops: and they just played and played played...me?...just one"played" :( .
    The guy who drifted away had more experience and was further off shore.

They said if we can do something like that, we will be doing good job on the clean waves ( whatever the meaning is :? ).

Two men who were wearing non-Kokatak drysuit was really soaking wet like did not have suit on. They convinced themselves that if you are trying to do surfing, get Kokatat one or go wet suit.

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Sounds like you were in the waves after they have turned from swells into foam. Surfers call that "the soup." Much safer than breaking waves until you have things figured out. However, riding waves before they have broken is a lot more fun. :)

Get some more training. You want to know how to avoid shoulder injuries. Easy to do if you brace improperly. And, learn how to body surf, so you can get to shore if you lose you boat. There are some pretty scary stories in Deep Trouble of kayak surfers caught in surf.

9. mikec

mikec Paddler

other great resources for surf kayak coaching

george at the Kayak Academy

www.kayakacademy.com

and Dave Agnew, who is a BCU certified surf kayak coach and is also a Mega surf kayak dealer, he is in the Westport area

www.surferdave.net

Surf kayaking is addictive! Be very careful, your sea kayaking might take a back seat to surfing (i know mine is this winter).

Neah/Makah Bay is another great spot for surfing, as is La Push all depending on conditions.

cheers

michael

10. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

nice coolish morning, out for an exercise paddle on indian arm past belcarra park, skinning along the shoreline . . . where coming just up ahead i could see the snow falling, and snow just covering all the branches of the trees and floating in the water . . .
    in a second, i was going into the falling snow & i wondered . . .

snow floating on the water?? and then realized it was white feathers.

i looked up and 20 feet above me a bald eagle was pulling his prey to shreds.

serenity to reality in a nanosecond, heh heh.

11. Miklos

Miklos Paddler

Last weekend (10/14) on Silver Lake near the west slope of Mt St Helens.

At the launch.

[​IMG]

Under way.

[​IMG]

Kayaker's garage?

[​IMG]

Indian Island.

[​IMG]

Cormorants on an old dock section.

[​IMG]

Still some fog around.

[​IMG]

Nice water color. Can you say "algea bloom"?

[​IMG]

Lilly bloom.

[​IMG]

Fall colors.

[​IMG]

Spider web.

[​IMG]

Row of old pilings.

[​IMG]

Mt Rainier in the background.

[​IMG]

Blue Heron

[​IMG]

Another bloom.

[​IMG]

Old floating cabin.

[​IMG]

Complete album here.

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Great shots, Miklos. Loved the lily pad bloom.

You wrote: Mt Hood in the background.

I think that is Mt. Adams, with fresh snow on it.

13. Miklos

Miklos Paddler

Your are right, sir. Brain fart! We were just talking at work about Mt Hood as I was posting. :D

14. Miklos

Miklos Paddler

Sure would be nice to have an edit button because the REAL mountian is Mt Rainier. Doh! :eek: :lol:

15. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yup, sure enough. I blew up that part of the photo and you can pick out features!

Well. we both misidentified it!

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Looks like Rainier to me :D

[​IMG]

17. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

It was my Deception Pass debut day 8) .
    Weather : cloudy, with some sun breaks, cold, not too much wind ( wind died when we launched)
    Max current 5.4knt.

15 of us, 4 of experts ( including Warren Williamson whom we watched the crazy video on http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/communi ... php?t=1227 )
    3 of newbie ( that's including me) and bunch in between.

We did practice on "crossing the eddy line". We ( the newbies) supposed do it in the mild eddy line, but when we looked at "it". it looked like water spilling off 1 foot shelf in Weanachee river!!
    We screamed "who said we start with 1-2 knt one :shock: . We watched those people go Can you see the swirlsthrough one by one starting more experienced to less experienced. We were hoping more experienced people flip and "they" decide that is too much for "us, the newbies".
    After looking at them doing so easily, I decided " I came here for it and I did not plan to stay upright anyway, and bunch of experts are watching me. If I have chance to try, this is it." And just paddled toward the "shelf", and there you go!! I made it the U-turn. :D 8)
    My heart was pounding so hard that I experienced " my heart is coming out of my mouth".
    First few trial were like that...scary!! But after several trials, the hell became heaven:D.

Somebody have to put leash on me so that I don't go there by myself :lol:

Can you see the swirls? I am heading there. [​IMG]
    Beautiful Deception pass from bridge, but from kayak, we saw a lot of neat rock formations and eagles. Pass.[​IMG]

18. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Sorry not too many pics. I was too busy paddling.
    But here is another one.
    Warren Williamson came in S&G this time.
    [​IMG]

And one of them was paddling with Greenland paddle, and he was paddling hard upstream. And the water force was so strong, he broke his paddle in half. Maybe his paddle had crack already?
    Sure he was happy he actually had good use of his spare paddle.

Anyway, I had a blast!!

19. marcus

marcus New Member

Alouette River

Alouette make a great sunny fall paddle.
    [​IMG]

20. marcus

marcus New Member

Buntzen Lake

Early October at Bunten.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]