WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? October 09

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dan_Millsip, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Got out for a night paddle in English Bay last night. It's definitely getting a bit cooler out now but not so much that I still wasn't a bit warm in my drysuit.

Tried taking some pictures of the city from the water but there was just a bit too much wave action to get a decent long exposure shot.

2. Kayaking Chemist

Kayaking Chemist Paddler

Bamfield last weekend

My husband was going out to the marine station for work, so I figured I'd tag along. We brought our boats on a rented SUV along the logging road. Flat tire within the first 4 km. That was fun - not.

The paddling was great. This was our second time to Bamfield. The first time was a week-long Deer Group trip; we stayed at Stud Islets and Ross Islets. This time, we just had two afternoon paddles, though both were great. Lots of sea lions and river otters.

3. loops50

loops50 Paddler

paddled from Vanier park then to Telus science world today. nice and busy area. saw many kayakers than Pitt Lake last week. not much wind. not too cold. nice sunny day. tried to get up on Granville Island but failed. no beach to park my kayak. :cool

4. Dan_Millsip

If you go around to the back (south east side) of Granville Island, into Alder Bay, you can get out at the rowing dock near the tennis courts.

5. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Yesterday we went around Portland to Moresby, then on the way back followed Coal Island shore. Beautiful weather, cooperative tides, looots of seals everywhere (they mast be eating something, don't you think?)

On Portland's Arbutus Point we saw, I'm pretty sure, kayakwriter's three masted schooner and himself together with his paddling buddy Mike setting up for the night. We did not stop for a little social as my partner wanted to push on. It was my mistake by not objecting; we ended up on a pretty crummy, rocky beach for lunch as a result of my lack of assertiveness.

For those not familiar with his rig, here it is. The picture was taken last April during WCP get together on South Pender.

[​IMG]

6. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Yup - that was Mike and me. Actually, we arrived Friday night and spent Saturday night there too. You saw us as we were having a lazy brunch.
    We'll post a proper trip report as soon as we've exchanged pictures.

7. Dan_Millsip

Went for a Thanksgiving Day paddle on Monday with ebluethner, Maddie, and her friend, to explore the bridges of the Fraser -- paddled against the current from the Port Mann bridge to the Skytrain bridge and back with the current to the Port Mann -- went under 5 bridges all together. It was a terrific sunny and warm(ish) October day -- the kind of day that makes for really enjoyable paddling. I'll post a few more pictures in a trip report in the next day or so.

[​IMG]

8. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

9. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

I like the rastacuta:) I assume that is a stock anas acuta... did it come that way from the factory, or did you paint it with something?

10. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. We were on a Princess cruise and we did kayaking for those two shore excursions.

11. rider

rider Paddler

2nd kayak surfing trip to Tofino this month. Day 1 tried the new-to-me Diesel75 in stuff up to 9 ft @11, only way to get out there without much pounding was to sneak out behind the rock. Got some epic slingshot style rides, 5 hours of fun. Day 2, 7.5ft@11, took out my Sirocco after not touching it since my Broken Group sickness fiasco 2 months+ ago, got some epic beating,but all in good fun. Set a personal record of getting rolled by a single wave, 3 times of up and over, plus the 1 final up and stay up.

12. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

I gave it a paint job, it was old and very ugly...

brightside marine polyurthane I had left over from my s&g build

13. THR

THR Paddler

Just got back from a great trip in the BGI. What a beautiful place...even in the rain :lol: :lol:

Here are a couple pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. THR

THR Paddler

I made a little video of the trip/course. It's not your usual THR stuff, but I like it :)

What do you think :?: :p

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4jZg8qi3oA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4jZg8qi3oA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4jZg8qi3oA

15. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Nice!
    How did you lose the boat?

16. THR

THR Paddler

oh, we didn't. it was a PC level 3 course and we were running scenarios :lol: :) :lol: One of the instructors was "Ucluelet CG"

it was great course :)

17. wilder paddles

wilder paddles Paddler

envious i am.. i am looking forward to taking the course. were you an instructer or student this time out Ro?

18. THR

THR Paddler

neither :lol:

I was lucky enough to shadow James and Michael on this one. I already have my level 4 skills. But i am working towards my Level 3 instructors next season...so this was the perfect opportunity to learn....and it was a cheap trip to BGI :lol:

19. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Great video! I plan on doing level 3 with SKILS in the spring. I love their teaching style and the way my self esteem and confidence stay intact, and often increases, during their courses! :D :D :D

Got lots of work to do this winter to make sure I am ready. :lol: :eek:

20. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Went for a little paddle around Caddy bay this afternoon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]