WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? -- September 07

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by westcoastwill, Sep 2, 2007.

1. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Went on an afternoon paddle with my fellow clubmate Heinz on the Danube today.

Heinz finished the Yukon River Quest 07 on 11th position in the Single Kayak Male class (The Austrian)!

We did a total of 28 k`s in 3,5 hours, i ended up with a bunch of blisters, for Heinz, it was easy going all the way. He is a superstrong paddler and great guy!

By the way: i left the speedo at home!

Andreas: than you for explaining the euro swimming custom the the guys!

Dave: thank you for your support, great photo, Red Nose Day, i assume?

[​IMG]

The club float.

[​IMG]

Going upriver.

[​IMG]

Near the turning point.

[​IMG]

Heinz Rodinger aka "The Austrian"

[​IMG]

Ottensheim Castle

[​IMG]

Near the car ferry.

[​IMG]

Powered only by the river current!

[​IMG]

The "Schönbrunn" an allmost 100 years old paddlewheeler, but still the fastest cruise ship on the river! they fire up the steam engine with Diesel now, but otherwise still in its original condition! Makes a nasty wake!

[​IMG]

Back at the float.

2. waverider

waverider Paddler

Cool pics WCW.

Yesterday we paddled Indian Arm putting in at Belcarra park and paddled up to the generation station #2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dgimcmillan

dgimcmillan Paddler

Birch Bay...again

My buddy Erv and I went paddling on Friday, at Birch Bay.

We set out from the launch area in the state park and headed south along the curve of the bay. We came through the rock garden at the point and kept going until we reached the tanker off-loading pier about 3-5 kms away.

It was a very pleasant paddle, but I did have a bit of an episode.

Once we got to the tanker area, we watched a small fishing fleet setting their nets about a 1/2 klick out from us. There were 3 larger fishing boats, and each one had a small dory with a HUGE engine in it.

It looked like the large boat would drop its net, then the little dory would take the far end of the net and start pulling it around in a circle back to the big boat.

The engines on the little boats were howling with the work they were doing! I found it very interesting. In fact, it must have been mesmerizing :oops:

I was basically floating parallel to the shore line, and watching the work. The next minute I was under! :shock:

In restrospect, I think I got caught by an undertow being created by those engines on the fishing boats as they pulled the nets. There was some wave action, but nothing more than I'm familiar with. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking with it! :lol:

Ian Mc.

by the way, I guess you can figure out thatl I made it back in my kayak :)

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

From last Thursday evening at Crescent Beach -- this is the same sunset over a period of about 20 minutes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

From last night on the Fraser, near Fort Langley. I saw six or seven beavers all together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

I went out for my usual Sunday morning paddle on Okanagan Lake, setting out from Gellatly Bay. The moon was still present at 5:30 am., so I was able to paddle in the moonlight and then coming back to the sunrise. I followed a beaver for a while until he realized I was there and slapped his tail and off he went. I really have to get a good camera, really jealous of all the wonderful pictures you guys are posting. I want to go to everywhere. And I really want to get back to the salt chuck.

7. waverider

waverider Paddler

Finally a true summer weekend!! We Headed up to Alouette lake for the weekend, meant to go to the end of the lake and camp but at 3/4 of the way we noticed a lot of power boats at the end. So we turned around and went back to Moyer creek that was surprisingly empty!

And it stayed that way till midday Sunday so we had the place to ourselves :D :D [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I paddled out to Diana Island in the deer group with A-Dave and two of his friends. Then I spent the next four days hiking, snorkeling and hanging out on the beach. The other three got lots of paddling in.

a few pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dave, J and A. It was a pleasure to meet you guys, I had a great time!
    Thanks for the invite.

I have a few more pics on my blog.

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Darren's shots are art ... mine are just snapshots, so I'll winnow out a couple better ones and post when I have more time.

Astoria Dave, Astoria Jan (not a WCP poster) and Swamp Girl (aka Ann) were grandly cared for by Darren and his lovely wife in Saanich before we set off to Bamfield via the logging road from hell the next day.

We had several good days of weather; one totally nuclear sunny one; a thunderstorm; and a pissy rainy one ... pretty much par for the Deers in late September. We can now add some more reasons "not to go to the Deer Group" but must vet them through Dan, first.

A special treat for me was getting to know the two native caretakers on Diana, Doreen and her husband, a little better. I've been paying the tariff for campsites on IR lands to Doreen since 1999 and never took the time to chat with her. She has quite a story, and it is worth a listen. She is recovering from a shattered lower leg, and plucky as they come.

Thanks again to Darren for kindly hosting us in Saanich.

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Well, there turned out to be more than a couple to post, of our Deer Group visit. Enjoy.

The usual launch thrash
    [​IMG]

Crossing Trevor Channel
    [​IMG]

Monster self-loading log barge. Trevor Channel
    [​IMG]

Cove near Kirby Point, Diana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tarpman rates this about a 9 on the difficulty scale; much tarptime this trip
    [​IMG]

Rock ballast ensures drip control; Ohiat in the background.
    [​IMG]

Monk Jan extols the virtues of Zen meal making to Grasshopper Ann
    [​IMG]

Ann retaliates with a monster Nutella-huckleberry gorge.
    [​IMG]

Batcave of the Darren ZenMan
    [​IMG]

A rare daylight appearance of ZenMan
    [​IMG]

Paddlers off Diana, enroute to Fleming's caves and arches
    [​IMG]

Executioner Rock beach
    [​IMG]

Rock, Ann in foregoround
    [​IMG]

Running the gamut
    [​IMG]

Somehow, she crams all this stuff inside that WS Tempest 170; last morning, as Jan and I prepare to leave.
    [​IMG]

11. andreas

andreas Paddler

nice pictures dave!
    did i see paper plates on one of the pictures? :shock:
    was this a dodge sprinter you guys come with?

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Thanks.

Yeah, Jan is very tidy at mealtime. The plates get burnt. They were quite handy on burrito night.

The Sprinter is Ann's, tall enough she can stand up inside. But, very tough to get a boat up top.

13. andreas

andreas Paddler

i would love to get a sprinter for my company... but $53000 is a bbbiiiddd to much :cry:
    also to bad that dodge is not selling the short wheelbase anymore...but next year they will bring out a hybrid version!!!!! :D
    one day i will have one! :wink:

14. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Great pictures Dave 8)

15. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Dave, you managed to get Darren's picture in his most popular position with his left hand relaxed, but ready.

16. Greg

Greg Paddler

I took a early morning paddle on the San Diego Bay today.

[​IMG]
    Downtown San Diego

[​IMG]
    USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum with the USS Ronald Reagan in the background.

[​IMG]
    Paddling under the deck of the USS Midway

[​IMG]
    San Diego Maritime museum

[​IMG]
    Star of India - 1800's cargo ship

[​IMG]
    Ship from the movie " Master and Commander"

[​IMG]
    USS Midway Museum

[​IMG]
    San Diego Bay Bridge

[​IMG]
    Downtown San Diego

17. waverider

waverider Paddler

Planning an overnight trip to Howe Sound - 1 week

Driving 65kms, running to catch the ferry - $45.00

Spending the day in Howe Sound paddling against 3-4 foot waves/ 15 knot winds with Mark S, Sushiy and Blondie.......

PRICELESS

Thanks for an awesome day of paddling guys, short but sweet. :D till next time.

18. nootka

nootka Paddler

Paddled around the Redondas and Cortes last week. Some sun, lots of gray sky, but only one day of heavy rain. Ecomarine forgot to put a chart in the mail for me, so I just went with John Kimantas' atlas ... worked very well. I am unlikely to waste any more money on charts. Last summer I got a bit of corrosion on the antenna connector of my marine radio. This year I used a small amount of automotive gasket-maker silicone to seal the connection -> no corrosion.
    Since the marine forecast is rather sparse when you are trying to estimate the chances of rain in the next few days, I was pleased to be able to receive Comox tv channel 11 on my ham radio (203.75 MHz) for most of the trip. So when it did rain buckets on the 21st, I had already planned to stay in camp. To close out this brief trip report, here is a sunset picture looking toward Quadra Is.
    [​IMG]

19. blondie

blondie Paddler

Here are a few pics from this past weekend's outing at Keats Island. We camped at Plumper cove marine park. We had the company of a scouts group for Saturday night which was a little noisy, but still I think it is nice to see kids running around enjoying the outdoors.

From camp we did daytrips along the Keats Island shoreline, and out and around a few of the Pasleys.

Here are a few pics, there are more here

View into Howe sound
    [​IMG]
    Around the West tip of Keats
    [​IMG]
    Mark thinking about it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sushi
    [​IMG]
    Campsite entertainment
    [​IMG]