Where did you paddle this weekend? #3

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mark_Schilling, May 2, 2006.

1. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Mark wrote: Wow - what a gorgeous day for a paddle! Cordova Bay was a duck pond so we (pfd45 and I) paddled out to Mt. Doug beach and back before playing around with leans and braces in the warm water close to shore.

Becky and I were in Vic for a museum/gardens chicktrip :wink: , and drove by the marina parking lot at Oak Bay Sunday. What a beautiful day! I think I am owed a guytrip ... not sure when. 8)

2. andreas

andreas Paddler

greetings from germany :D

nice to see that you guys had some great adventures wile i'm on holidays!
    we cycled around for about 2 weeks now, had lots of sunshine and we are working on our german food and beer overdose :lol:

here in our area (black forest) is not much paddling going on...... so i'm looking forward to get back in my boat next week!

see you guys (and girls) on the water

andreas

3. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Hey Andreas.....have some of those beer for me. Will you be visiting Rothenburg on this trip?

4. pfd45

pfd45 New Member

I love Cordova Bay/ Mount Doug Beach, the water was warm and the bottom is sandy, there are lots of crabs, mark jumped out of the boat and caught one we named it dinner. I got a great shot of Mark. Loving the super warm weather :wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Nice. Looks like you're getting pretty comfortable in that boat. :D

6. Daveman

Daveman Paddler

Wow. I'll say it again. WOW!. I looked at all the beautiful pictures of your area and then I look out upon the flat Ohio landscape with the prepetually gray skys and the brown muddy water I ask myself: Why do I live here?

Dan is right. You guys live in a sweet spot in paradise. Someday....someday....I will get there.

Daveman.

7. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

That was her first time in the Romany, and still only the 4th paddle (I think...) we've gone on. And that's not even the full extent of her leaning! 8)

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

You know, we really do - and so many of us don't even realize it. But, that suits me just fine - I can live without hordes of people all over the water. :twisted: 8) :wink:

9. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Dave and I
    Victoria Inner Harbour May 18/06

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Lk Cowichan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rider

rider Paddler

Woot. May long went camping at Porpoise bay campground. paddled by Sechelt area and the couple little islands nearby and gibsons to Keats and back. weather was pretty good and even got some ok swell puttering by keats. Figures the elaho isnt any harder to roll than my river kayak but could not relax in it(yet?) in open water. Kim got a few nice shots of a big group of seals lounging on a rock out in the ocean. sit on tops rock for picture taking in chop.

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Loop Trip On the Columbia Near Astoria, OR

Becky and I in our double, with a companion did an 8 nautical mile loop on the Columbia today, in mixed rain and gusts, in the islands on the USFW Refuge near Brownsmead, one of our favorite areas. Lots of folks out fishing for sturgeon, one of which jumped out of the water about 10 feet off our bow! Flowers and plants were really out on the vertical cliffs on the WA side, making for a water-level botany bonanza.

Becky's second trip this spring. My seventh or eighth. We had planned an overnighter on Long Island in Willapa Bay, but the intermittent showers and 15 knots of wind put us off -- glad we did the day trip instead. Would have been very wet camping there last night.

A buddy and I did a 16 nm loop last Wednesday a little lower down on the Columbia, in hard wind from the SW, making for a strenuous return. His first time on the River in hard wind, and an education in pacing. At the end he said his forearms were blasted. He paddles feathered; I do not. How can he blow his forearms out paddling? Mine never get tired paddling.

13. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

My guess is that maybe he was gripping the paddle too tightly. That could easily tire the forearms I think.

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I think you're right. I paddled feathered one season, and seemed to get tendonitis in my elbow from a death grip. I'll have to ask Bruce the next time we paddle together. He is younger and buffer than I am, so maybe he needs to use up all that extra strength! :wink: :wink:

15. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

I'd agree on the death grip thing....when I first started paddling I was doing the death grip and by the second day of my first trip I had to put on a wrist brace because my wrist and forearm on one side (non-dominant side) were toasted.

As soon as I learn the proper paddle grip and stroke I never had a problem again.....I've paddled feathered from day 1 just because it's feels more natural to me.