Where did you paddle this weekend?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, May 1, 2005.

1. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I, for one, took in the greenland paddling talk and demo Friday night and Saturday morning at ORS in Victoria and went for a whitewater day on the Cowichan today. The water levels between Skutz falls and Marie Canyon were good and it was nice to wash some of the salt out of the drysuit!

2. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

I decided to take in the towing clinic given by the VCKC Saturday morning and went for a short paddle afterwards with some others.

Sunday I did a exercise paddle down the Gorge. Worked on my almost roll in the pool Sunday night. I made some progress as I was able to downsize my homemade paddle float by half and still make a roll. I added some thigh padding to my high decked boat which seemed to help edging and turns.

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I paddled over to Rum Island on Friday evening, and spent 2 nights there. Saw some orcas cruise by on Saturday evening, and had a nice warm sunny paddle back on Sunday. 8) After 15 nights of camping since January 1, it was nice to finally have a weekend of rainless camping! 8O

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Too many obligations with the kids kept me from doing any exciting paddling this weekend, although I did get out with Steve on Friday night for a paddle around False Creek. We heard U2 playing at GM Place as we paddled by...

5. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

Aside from False Creek on Friday night, my wife and I paddled around Ladner Harbour and had a little picnic on "Gilligan's Island" which is the closest of the Fraser delta islands to Ladner Harbour. A bunch of kids showed up on a beatup old boat looking like they were going to party, but ended up providing us with quite a bit of entertainment. They had an old bicycle frame that had a boards attached to the front and rear forks that they were trying, most unsuccessfully, to water ski on. After they figured out that steel bike frames sink, they wrapped their only PFD around the bike frame for the rest of their attempts. We finally packed up and left when they decided to give up party and on the beach.

6. Steve_Shulhan

Steve_Shulhan Paddler

Where was I on the 30'th?

Saturday was a perfect paddling day off Sidney; the waters were calm, little wind, lots of clouds, and only a little rain. It was cool enough out that I was able to paddle in my near new paddling jacket from Whites.

First stop was along the south-west end of James Island. Along the way I saw several bald eagles. I spent about 90 minutes there enjoying my lunch and trying to find a moving cache that Mark had hid there in February. I was unsuccessful at finding the cache or reaching Mark by cell.

I carried on around the south end of James to meet a large group of sport fishing boats along the east side of James. I didn't see any action while I passed by them, but later read in the paper that someone landed a nice one. I continued up James to the old powder wharf and then struck out for Sidney Island against the current. The sun was starting to poke out now and I was overheating in my paddling jacket so I took it off. Somehow I managed to tear the rubber neck seal; not a happy paddler.

I beached on Sidney Island near the open field where I saw a double and a tent on the grass, but no paddlers. Since I was there, I walked about 600m inland to find a geocache in an old stump. I was amazed by how the deer have stripped all the undergrowth from the woods and mudded up the forest floor; not very pretty.

After Sidney Island I carried on up to Dock Island to play in the currents swirling by. I pulled out on Dock Island to find another geocache and enjoy the beautiful flowers in bloom.

Paddling back to Sidney, I caught up to and eventually passed a 42' sailboat trying to find enough wind to return to port under sail. Definition of racing: two boats on the water travelling in the same direction.

First day on salt water this year was great!

7. Dan_Millsip

I paddled 10 km around McMillan Island in the Fraser River (near Fort Langley) last night. The current was running at about 4 1/2 - 5 kph (that's how fast my boat was moving if I let myself drift). The currents at the top of the island were very strong and I was only able to maintain a speed of about 3 km/hr. I saw six beavers -- one of which was only about 5 metres away as I silently drifted past him. He didn't appear to see me -- does anyone know if these little guys have poor eye sight?

Without fail, I see beavers around McMillan Island every time I paddle there around dusk. Often, I'll take one of my kids in my double to see them -- the kids think it's very cool (and so do I).

8. Dan_Millsip

Went for another workout paddle around McMillan Island last night -- I'm going to have to take my camera on these workout paddles from now on. When I was about a half kilometre from the Albion Ferry, I noticed a beaver swimming along the shore about a hundred metres ahead, travelling in the same direction as me. As I got about 30 metres away, the rather large beaver got out of the water on the beach and started munching on the leaves of a fallen branch that was lying in the water. I kept paddling and got within about 4-5 metres -- the beaver was looking directly towards me but I'm sure that it didn't see me. Once I passed by, I stopped paddling and drifted back towards the beaver -- damn, where is that camera when you need it?!? I could have easily had a full frame photo of the beaver eating its breakfast. From now on, I'll be taking the camera whether I'm on a workout or not.

I also had some excitement in the currents at the top of the island -- they were much stronger than a couple of nights previous and I could only manage to maintain a speed of about 2 1/2 - 3 km/h on the final kilometre at the top of the island. At one point, as I paddled, a very large whirlpool (about 3 metres across) suddenly appeared only couple of metres in front of me -- I quickly changed course to avoid it and two more whirlpools formed directly on my changed course -- these ones were each about half the size so I charged ahead and went right between the two without incident.

I do find that I'm getting much more comfortable in the swirling currents but I still get a bit nervous when those big whirlpools appear.

9. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yeah, some of those can get big, and have a noticable 'dip' in the water at the centre. I've heard of open-top aluminum boats and even small sailboats having troubles getting out of them before, but I don't know how true those stories are... I'll try to steer clear just the same. :eek:

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

We ran into a few of those here 8O
    [​IMG]

11. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Friday evening Darren and I put into the Gorge near South Bay Pub around 7:30. We paddled around for a bit and spent some time in the middle of a school of leaping sea run cut-throat trout (gonna go back with a rod). Around 8:30 Dan and Mark joined us and we paddled to the Inner Harbour. As light faded we turned on our lights and continued on our way.

We did the usual playing around under docks, and catamarans :p We hung around the causeway for a bit, listening to the musicians and chatting up the tourists. Then heading out of the harbour we spotted two cruise ships tied up at Ogden Point. We were blown away by the size of them when we got up close. We talked to some people on board (from about 150 feet up).

A bit more exploring and we got back to the dock around 1:00 a.m. just as the rain started. What a blast!

12. Steve_Shulhan

Steve_Shulhan Paddler

This afternoon I enjoyed a short paddle from Genoa Bay to a small beach near Separation Point where I climbed the hill to find a GeoCache and enjoy some spectacular views.

13. Dan_Millsip

Victoria harbour was a blast on Friday night -- especially when the passengers on one of the cruise ships threw cans of beer to us from about 8 decks up! It was like depth charges with a purpose. 8)

Unfortunately, 2 of the 4 cans didn't survive the fall. :cry:

It was very cool paddling around the cruise ships, but the most fun was watching Darren badgering the tourists.

The rest of the weekend, Mark and I spent at the Paddlefest in Ladysmith -- Darren joined us there for half the day on Saturday. The Paddlefest was awesome -- we had a great time talking to vendors and paddlers and made a few new friends. We paddled a few of the Pygmy boats and participated in a couple of workshops, as well as went for a paddle around a couple of islands on the opposite side of the bay on Saturday afternoon.

Mark in the Pygmy Artic Tern:

[​IMG]

More pictures will be coming soon.

14. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I too enjoyed the paddlefest today. I helped present a mini workshop on navigation with GPS (doing another one this Wednesday for VCKC) with Graham Shuley and enjoyed wandering around the displays.
    I am intrigued by the Lightspeed boats and figure that the upcoming 16 footer (Evolution?) in thermoform plastic could be a great boat, especially if it had gas pedal style rudder control. Their rudder system is neat because it can be up and hidden, part way down as a skeg, or, if lowered all the way down is a phenomenally effective rudder.
    Now I am packing/planning for a long weekend trip into Clayoquot sound...

15. Redcedar

Redcedar Paddler

16. Redcedar

Redcedar Paddler

17. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

18. Dan_Millsip

Gorgeous photo, Redcedar!

19. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Mark 1, Mark 2, Darren and I got out for another night padde in the Gorge, Inner Harbour and Outter Harbour last night. There were 3 cruise ships tied up at Ogeden point and the water outside the breakwater was like glass around midnight. It was a great night to be out.

20. Wild-Child

Wild-Child Paddler

I'm more of a canoeist (easier on a 5 km portage) - but I certainly would love to do some kayaking in some of the places I've seen mentioned here. Looks awesome!!!!