Where did you paddle this weekend?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, May 1, 2005.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Well, this post might be a little off topic as it's not a weekend :wink: but I'll post anyways.

I went out for an afternoon paddle today; I wanted to do a bit of a 'workout paddle', and push myself to hold a hard pace for a reasonably long paddle. I was lucky in that the water was quite calm - not a lot of current, wind, or waves.

I headed out on the same trip as I tried 2 weekends ago; from Cordova Bay, out past Zero Rock to Kelp Reef, then around D'Arcy Island and back. I had set waypoints in my GPS for navigational beacons and notable rocks, so I had something to aim for and fine-tune my ranging skills at the same time (to ensure that I was not being delivered off-course by the effects of wind and current).

I also wanted to try doing a longer paddle using a high-angle paddling style; usually I seem to paddle with a fairly low blade angle (to the water) and wanted to try something different.

Here's a track log of the paddle:

[​IMG]

The total distance was 24.856km. I headed out at 1:02pm and the total trip took 3:37. Not including a 14 minute rest stop to have a quick bite to eat, my average paddling speed was 7.314 km/h (about 3.94 knots).

The high-angle paddling style seemed to make a big difference - I could increase my speed from about 6.8 km/h to almost 8 km/h with the same amount of effort simply by using a high blade angle. The draw-backs seemed to be 1) that I got a lot wetter from paddle drips, and 2) it was a little harder to keep the kayak on course. As you can see from the very straight lines on the track log, I used the GPS capabilities quite strictly to keep myself perfectly on course, despite a reasonable amount of flood current in places.

Phew - a fun paddle! Lots of loons out today and it seems the sea lions are starting to return for the fall. :?

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Went for a terrific False Creek paddle with Steve and divorceboat on Friday evening. We saw a few homeless people living underneath Science World as well as a lot more rats than usual, and believe it or not, we even saw a raccoon.

On Sunday, I went with RobertM to Buntzen Lake for his first time out in his new cedar-strip Redfish King. The weather was a bit overcast and we had some rain but overall it was a very nice paddle. There's a movie being filmed at Buntzen right now and the sets are very elaborate. We talked to the security guard at the north end of the lake and since there was no one around, he let us take a walk through the set so long as we didn't touch anything -- it was very cool.

The movie is called Pathfinder and is scheduled for release next year. One of the actors is Ian McKellen (from Lord of the Rings).

The wrecked viking ship at the south end of the lake (near the dog area):
    [​IMG]

Robert approaches the village set at the north end of the lake:
    [​IMG]

One of the huts:
    [​IMG]

Robert poses for a picture (maybe there's a film career starting here):
    [​IMG]

Mmmm... plastic salmon:
    [​IMG]

Scaring away evil spirits?:
    [​IMG]

On the shore of the lake:
    [​IMG]

The water level at Buntzen was the highest that I've ever seen it -- according to the security guard, the production people wanted the set to be as close to the water as possible and had BC Hydro raise the level of the lake. Because of the high water level, at the south end of the lake, you had to walk through a foot of water to get to the dock!

3. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

4. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

WAY cool! 8)

5. dmoose

dmoose Paddler

Hi guys long time viewer first time poster

I was up there last week and they had all that stuff up then and they had actors and stunt people all dressed up doing stunts on jet skies with a camera boat out in front. There was so much equipment at the launch and catering i almost turned around and left but they insisted it was ok to launch my boat there. It was pretty intresting to watch. Did you guys notice the shipwreck was rigged for pyrotechnics ?

oh and i think i seen ryder in his red s10 with that boat he bought off andy heading up the hill to bunsen that day i was the dude in white toyota p/u with the yellow yak on top

6. Dan_Millsip

Welcome to the site, dmoose!

Yes, we did see the pyrotechnics on the boat and in the water. In fact, a security guard cautioned us about getting too close to the set for this reason.

It would have been cool to have seen the filming in action (although, we wouldn't have been able to walk through the set had filming been taking place). Did you get any photos of the filming that you saw?

7. rider

rider Paddler

The movie set looks way cool 8)
    By the way it wasn't me you saw because i drive a pontiac firefly, not an S10

8. dmoose

dmoose Paddler

ty for the welcome this is a great site im fairly new to this and its helped me select suitable local paddling spots. Its nice to know things like how far i got to lug my 16 footer over my shoulder before i hit water ahead of time.

I didnt have a camera with me. The gf wont let me take the digi cam on the water lol.

Im gonna have to get a water tight case or something

9. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Hey All,

Just got back into town and thought that I’d share a few photos. Our original plan was to paddle the Broken Group but after monitoring the weather forecast over the past week, we opted instead to stay dry and take day trips out of Uki and Tofino. Despite the copious amounts of rainfall that were continually being dumped on the area, there were a few days when the sun actually made an appearance. :)

Residents of Ucluelet Harbor
    [​IMG]

Approaching the Mouth of Ucluelet Inlet
    [​IMG]

Standing Guard
    [​IMG]

Lemmons Inlet (Meares Island)
    [​IMG]

Stormy Weather (Longbeach/Tofino)
    [​IMG]

Vargas Island
    [​IMG]

Moody Skies over Vargas
    [​IMG]

Mount Colnett is an imposing feature on Meares Island
    [​IMG]

Tofino
    [​IMG]

Palm Trees on Longbeach? ;)
    [​IMG]

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Batstar, looks like you grabbed some good shots. Those two on Vargas -- where on Vargas were they taken?

11. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Dave,

The first pic was taken just before we reached the eastern tip of Vargas Island. We came across a small cove with a sandy beach where we stopped for lunch. That is where the second photo was shot.

Didn’t venture into the confines of Vargas Island Park itself as we spent much of the day exploring Meares.

12. bradwurst

bradwurst Paddler

Hello folks,
    just had an excellent overnighter to Harrison lake with Dan and Mark, in Dan's double. We left the town and went 20km up the west side to Eagle Falls. We found a family heirloom that was lost two weeks earlier, and had a great time. The return leg, the wind had died and the fog came out, it was kind of spooky.
    Thanks again to Dan and Mark for the fun time.
    Oh ya I did forget the scotch but Mark forgot his tent! :oops:

13. Dan_Millsip

Yes, it was a terrific weekend. We ended up with some decent weather on Saturday despite the drive to Harrison in the pouring rain. Fortunately, the rain held off until the wee hours of the morning before it absolutely poured and the wind howled. Woke up on Sunday morning to rain and strong winds but it subsided before we set out and we ended up having mostly flat water all the way back.

Camping at Eagle Falls was quite good (it's not a formal campsite so there are no amenities whatsoever).

And yes, the guy from Victoria forgot his tent and ended up sleeping under a tarp (but he managed to stay dry). I guess I shouldn't mention that he also forgot his rain jacket (oops, did I say that?!?).

Thanks to divorceboat for a most excellent trip.

A sunny Saturday morning as we head up the lake:
    [​IMG]

Beautiful green water:
    [​IMG]

Divorceboat. Notice who's doing the paddling:
    [​IMG]

Fall is upon us:
    [​IMG]

Mark picks up a hitch-hiker on his sleeve:
    [​IMG]

Seals?!? Yes, there were quite a few along the way:
    [​IMG]

Seal fur on the rock:
    [​IMG]

Mark and I notice a folding table on the beach about 2km from our destination -- we towed it to the campsite:
    [​IMG]

Our campsite, complete with table:
    [​IMG]

Eagle Falls:
    [​IMG]

On the way back, we stopped at a dock on Echo Island that had this funky bar set up:
    [​IMG]

Divorceboat heading in the fog on the way back:
    [​IMG]

14. Dan_Millsip

Great shots Batstar!

How'd the new boat work out for you?

15. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Boat was awesome Dan! It was a truly remarkable feeling slipping the Tern’s bow into the briny sea for the very first time. Considering it was my own build made the moment even more special, but I guess I don’t have to tell you that. :) Already have a few scratches compliments of the rocky put in during high tide at the Tofino kayak ramp. ;)

We played in the undulating channel swell between Vargas and Meares for a quite a while (very addictive I must add) and then encountered some rough chop rounding the outside of one of the smaller islands near Wikaninnish. The Tern handled it all in stride with the exception of some mild weather cocking. Not a huge issue by any stretch. I love how its hard chines make it sooo easy to lean and carve turns.

Judging by your own pics, it looks like you folks had a fun weekend. That dock bar is a riot :D Always nice to get a friendly group together as it makes for a great atmosphere. Maybe we can talk about a paddling GTG the next time we’re on the Island which, hopefully, won’t be too far off in the near future.

16. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Well I was planning on paddling over to Rum Island tomorow some time... could be fun! 8O :eek:
    [​IMG]

17. andreas

andreas Paddler

are you crazy :?: :? you can't paddle in 40 knot winds ...... what are the tides doing?

hope you will be safe!
    maybe i should turn on my radio to chanel 16 and wait for your screaming :lol: :wink:

andreas

18. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I don't think I'd get far in 40kt gales. 20kts I can handle... anything more than about 25-30 is too much work to be fun - and more than that, the waves are just nuts (fetch becomes rather irrelevant!). Don't get me wrong - I like the 'big stuff' - but there's a fine line between having fun / increasing skills and getting 'over your head'.

Hopefully it'll die down a bit... I'm itching to get out for a paddle! :cry:

19. andreas

andreas Paddler

i'm pretty sure you know your limits and i also know that you like the big stuff--other then me :wink: (only started kayaking a year ago)

but you are right ,there is fine line between having fun and beeing in control or getting your self in danger.

cheers
    andreas

20. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Well, as is usually the case, the winds have died down considerably and the forecast now calls for 10-15kt SouthEasterlies this afternoon and evening. That's more like it! Looks like we may not have such a bad weekend afterall.

If anyone wants me, I'll be on Rum Island! 8)