Where the heck are we?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by inpayne, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Darren, pack extra beers or whisky. I might end up needing to drink half of your beer at the camp. I will have to blame alcohol for me not understanding this complicated politics scattered with bunch of words and saying which I don't understand even with my 5 inch thick, oops! "inch" is American way of mesuring things... 12cm thick English-Japanese dictionary. And my brain is already upto the capacity after whole evening of learning about kayak navigation to prepare to go WPC spring camp really using the chart and compass. I will leave the debate to you guys.
    See you there anyway.

2. John McGillivray

John McGillivray Paddler

I just spent the last hour reading all the posts and I'll never have that time back :wink:

I've travelled and lived in many parts of this great world and I know that there are good and bad in all countries. I'm proud to be Canadian and I agree with a lot of what Dan has said. I'm more akin to sitting around a campfire and talking these differences out face to face and hopefully walking away from the exchange with a broader understanding as does the other person. Politics and internet forums seem to be a hotbed and a lot of feathers can get ruffled very easily and sometimes even unintentionally, so I'll bow out for the time being ... but if you ask me where I live, then it's in the Gulf Islands of BC in Canada.

John

3. John McGillivray

John McGillivray Paddler

Pretty much my backyard. The eagles are starting to increase in number so I imagine the Herring run will be upon us soon.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

OK, Doug, I can tolerate naming any chunk of the planet any way you want, but "insipid beer?" Them's fightin' words, mate! Forget the Bud Light, Miller Light, any of the "ice" malt beverages, and those other excresences from the Madison Avenue school of beercraft and dig into any of the porters, stouts, IPA's, dark ales and even a pilsner or two, all indigenous to Oregon, where people don't tan, they rust. :wink:

Since you last visited my smallish city in 2001 (?), it has sprouted two brewpubs of note: the Wet Dog on 11th near the waterfront, and the Fort George Brewery on Duane near 15th. Plus, Rogue has an "outlet" of sorts on Pier 39, featuring their fine assortment of potables and excellent brewpub fare.

Microbrews are alive and well in the land of wetness, salmon, a long and rich history of native cultures, and a fondness for its own beauty ... now let's see, am I describing above 49 or below 49? Who can tell? Who would care if the beer is cold and ample?

Long live beer! :lol:

5. keabird

keabird Paddler

Holy moly! I would be absolutely TERRIFIED if those sea lions were biting me like that. Even though the bites seemed gentle, just think if one decided to play rough. Those are mighty big teeth they have! :shock: I have over 3000 dives and have seen some crazy stuff, but when the animals start to bite, that is my limit!

6. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Hmmm... 12 off topic posts on one page. Please people, let's try to keep this discussion on track. I can appreciate a little injected humour and diversion, but if you want to talk about something else, please start a new thread.

Thanks.

7. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

OK dad... :oops:
    But brother Craig and brother Robin and few others needed big hug with good beer...

Anyway, back on the topic,

I can call it, "Salt Chek" - Chinook word for ocean/salt water.
    I liked Chinook word, because they lived pretty much the area we ae talking about and I am sure they wondered around the sorrounding area, and they were peaceful people who rarely made violent act. And I am sure that if there is no border at 49, they might be living in BC too.
    I picked up this from here,
    http://www.chinookindian.com/

See, aren't they more like us? Peceful people who like leisure and entertainment, who opt for ritual( beer drinking and campfiring) instead of violence to solve the conflict.

8. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

BC:
    Link

PNW:
    Link

As for the american/canadian difference discussion, we both are so joined at the hip and Canada is so overwhelmed in comparison, that the few differences that we have are precious to us. It's not a big deal, but as respectful friends the differences that we have can be both useful and helpfully provocative.

The ironic humour in this is -as Craig infers while we cherish our diversity - it seems we may even not know what to call ourselves - heck, west coast of 'what'?

9. keabird

keabird Paddler

I think the name "British Columbia" is a really cool one. It sounds very foreign and exotic, like a place to go to have some good adventures.

I have been thinking about my experiences in New Zealand and about how important names (geographically speaking) are there. They have gone so far as to revert back from the English names to the Maori names for several places. The two main ones I can think of are Mt Cook to Aorangi and Mt. Eggmont to Taranaki. There is even a pretty big push to change the name of the country to the Maori, Aotearoa.

Also, I know that the Kiwis hate to be lumped in with the Australians, as if they were just another state or something. It is funny, because I have found that most Canadians tend to get at least a little annoyed when they are mistaken for Americans when abroad; and most Kiwis get annoyed when mistaken for Aussies. In both cases the bigger country tends to overshadow their very close ally. Also, I have never seen an Aussie or an American get mad when they are mistaken for a Kiwi or Canadian.

In the more than two years I spent living in NZ and Australia I never once was asked if I was from the US, it was always Canada. (You Canadians will love this next...) When I would say no, I am from the US they typically said something like, "wow your accent is so mild and you are not loud and obnoxious so we thought..." :wink:

Thinking about it this way gives some good perspective for me at least. I can definitely understand wanting to maintain a unique identity from a larger, more dominate country.

10. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

Sorry Dan if I was off-topic anywhere. Having paddled amongst Canadians and Americans over the last three decades, definitely every post on this thread related to subject matters that frequent discussions on paddling chat lines, out paddling with others, on the beach, while travelling to and from destinations, and certainly at the campfire. Beer (illicit substances - might want to let those remain mute), politics, cultural differences, financial policies, place names, and the like are all hot topics.

I said in a previous post that I don't think about much of this when I'm out paddling. No I don't, but then I paddle solo mostly. When I do paddle with otheres, well...

And I even belt out John Lennon songs (when I'm alone). :lol:

[​IMG]

Doug's view in his tent looking out at Nootka Sound, resting after another day of a week of dry 30 plus degrees weather on our wonderful "West Coast of heaven." Amen, and God Bless all the little sea paddlers, American, Canadian, or otherwise.

Doug L

11. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Hey! I object to being called an "otherwise!" :wink: :lol:

12. jk

jk Paddler

If the aim of this thread is to define a region that defies borders, you have to look at the geography, and the uniting factor for BC and Washington is the Georgia Basin, which includes all the watersheds that drain into the straits of Georgia and Juan de Fuca, and consequently includes Vancouver and the Lower Mainland plus greater Seattle. A few years back a movement was started to name the water area Orca Pass to get political motivation to protect the water on both sides of the border. It never really caught on, and I'm not even sure there's any political awareness to the idea today, in practicality or policy. Beyond that if you want to include Alaska and Oregon you have to look at geopolitical boundaries that simply don't exist, especially if you want to include BC. It's all perspective. Sometimes here on Vancouver Island I feel politically and geographically isolated from the rest of BC, let alone Portland. If West Coast or Pacific Coast doesn't cut it for describing the larger picture, then probably nothing will. And if you want to get into border skirmishes about including BC in the Pacific Northwest tag, the region would more correctly be "BC and the Pacific Northwest", as BC is really the south in its geopolitical sphere, meaning use of the word "north" disorients it. Beyond that anything else is an invention. Invent away, and let's see what sticks.

13. Mr Green

Mr Green Paddler

Haven't felt the need? or not allowed back? :shock: :p :p :twisted:

14. nootka

nootka Paddler

Never been arrested in either country :lol:

I've been to Yosemite several times to go climbing. Sure is a spectacular valley. Here is my climbing partner Shawn 2500 feet off the ground on El Capitan.
    [​IMG]

15. keabird

keabird Paddler

16. keabird

keabird Paddler

Oops I forgot to type in my post above. :oops: Anyway, I was going to say I really liked this post and thought it was very well thought out and the reasoning is hard to argue with.

17. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

I will admit I did not have the time or interest in reading all 6 pages of this thread.

I will say, having lived on Vancouver Island for 30 years I have never heard anyone call the B.C. west coast the Pacific Northwest...ever.
    I have spent a fair amount of time in the Seattle area, and, from my experience, they're description of the Pacific Northwest stops at the Canadian border.
    Here (in Campbell River) the 'West Coast' means west coast of Vancouver Island...
    When one here talks about destinations on the Inside Passage, they regionalize them...South Gulf Islands, Mid-Island, North Island, Desolation Sound, Johnstone Strait, etc.

Is it right that the B.C. coast is included into the Pacific Northwest by some?
    So what!
    ...I know I don't care.

18. elmo

elmo Paddler

Why don't we call it Brobdingnag? Apparently that was the 1703AD name - at least according to my charts.

[​IMG]

19. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Elmo, I think it's about time that you updated your charts. :shock:

20. elmo

elmo Paddler

Check this site out.

The Maritime Museum of BC

I understand that 'Virtual Museum Canada' is a Federal Government Project.

:roll: :?:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.