where to build a kit in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by clairelouise, Apr 30, 2006.

1. clairelouise

clairelouise New Member

Any ideas or suggestions on where I could build my Arctic Tern 14 kit in Vancouver/Kitsilano? I live in a small apartment with no parking space or yard.... etc....

thanks, Claire

2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

shhhh, don't tell anyone - but a lot of pple have actually blt yaks in their apt lvg room and then lowered them down the outside.

there are some humourous pics of a guy lowering his freshly blt yak down 9 floors to his vehicle below on the web somewhere.

however, the epoxy/glassing part of the process really needs to be done outdoors - not a healthy setup inside your living space.

so you need to be friends w/ someone who has a covered carport or better. or if you have a garage or pkg area and it is open or has a section that is under cover, you could wheel your project (or parts thereof) out there to do work and then wheel back.

others may have some better places to use

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Hi - welcome to the site! 8)

Unfortunately I can't offer much information on your dilemma... but I'm sure that once you find somewhere to build it, you'll really enjoy the process! And, the end result is amazing too (I just got back from a days paddle in my Tern 14). :D Will this be your first time building a boat? It's a very rewarding experience - enjoy!

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I rented a neighbours garage to build my Pygmy double. I borrowed a friends shop for my current Coho build.

Check with your friends, or with people in your neighbourhood. The fellow down the lane from me was happy to rent his garage to me for $100 per month.

5. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Hello Claire;
    when are you planning on starting your build? if timing is right i may be able to rent you part of my shop. i am in north surrey, just across the patullo bridge from new west. Dan is currently building his Coho in my shop but he didn't realy just borrow the space. i'm very happy with my new tent. :D a couple of things to consider are, i am an experienced boat builder and would be available to help you if you need it, and the shop is LOADED with tools and equipment. send me a private message if you are interested. i'll give you my number and we can chat about it.
    all the best;
    DarenN.......