Whither Sea Kayaking?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by AM, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

Maybe it has nothing to do with safer kayaks. Maybe leave it on the land, about as safe as possible. Safety is knowing how to kayak safely. Know how to do rescues efficiently.

I've had two incidents where it was "get it right or someone dies". Dramatic? No. Just doing a 2 boat rescue properly. Very easy to do if you know how.

Do you?
    Fit proper decklines to start with.

I presume your decklines are there and all the way round the hull, tension adjustable and of a suitable dimension (thickness).

2. designer

designer Paddler

It would mean new gear (is that a bad thing?) but with today's technology, they could "code" the area transmissions - in ham radio it's called a "tone" - and you could set codes in your radio so you only hear the weather transmissions of the areas you are interested in. That way you don't have to listen to minutes and minutes of transmissions that have nothing to do with your area. They wouldn't come any faster, there would be longer gaps because the transmission of the whole report would be the same, you just wouldn't hear most of it. That way you could focus on what was important to you.

So many times I hear the voice drone on, only to have it camouflage that one tiny piece I was listening for. In fact, it would also be technically easy to add a digital recorder that is triggered by receiving the transmission. That way, if you did miss it, you could just play back the recording.

Save's batteries on a safety device that is limited by it's battery power.

3. nootka

nootka Paddler

^ I currently use a separate digital recorder to capture output from my ham radio - no drain on marine radio, and I copy the exact forecast. But it is still time consuming, and imprecise.

Regarding safety, how are you going to persuade lily dippers that they are not experts?
    Remember the Dunning-Kruger effect
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  4. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

5. NWimport

NWimport Paddler

You just sparked an idea. What if shops would get permission to set up a little kayak demo area at parks and put ins? Let people try 12-14’ kayaks without spending a dime instead of buying the cheap hunks of plastic? I bought a fairly good rec boat and knew 2 minutes on the water I was going to be a kayak enthusiast for life. If we could replicate that experience in people without them wasting a bunch of cash buying junk we might generate some interest.

Another observation I made as a newbie. When I encountered other kayakers on the water I would paddle over and try to engage them but quickly realized they were not friendly at all. It might just be a Seattle thing but the vibe I still get from others on the water is “get lost.” Maybe we could make a conscious effort to be friendly and outgoing especially to onlookers who are watching us at put ins. I have started conversations with people who are watching us getting boats to the water etcetera. Usually they start asking lots of questions about the sport.