wild coast 3 or BC Atlas

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by mbiraman, Mar 9, 2011.

1. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Hi folks; i'm interested in getting one of either "Wild Coast 3" or its partner volume the BC Atlas. Which would serve me better if i was to get just one.
    thanks
    bill

2. nootka

nootka Paddler

Good question. It kind of depends on your goals.
    The atlas is better as a substitute for charts.
    The atlas is better for making plans regarding routes, campsites etc. (Charts don't have campsites marked)
    The book is better for campsite & other info (history, hazards, facilities, etc).
    The introduction to WC3 is a must read if you haven't paddled the area before.
    (The introduction to WC1 is a must read for anyone paddling the exposed west coast of VI)

I have both. I bought the book first. If I could only have one, I'd buy the book. But I have a lot of charts. If I had to choose between the book and the atlas if I had no charts (or google earth!), I might go for the atlas.

Based on your location, I'd suggest the book first. You can put campsites on google earth when you are making plans.

3. Featheron

Featheron Paddler

Not much to add to Nootka's comprehensive reply. I would probably go for the book as it is so full of information and trip ideas, great armchair paddling! Having said that you will want to have some chart when on the water.

4. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Definately go with the book. The information in the book includes campside coordinates.

The map book only has symbols and is more often not correct than the book.

5. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Thanks everyone, i ordered the book .