Windy Wandering

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by steve beschakis, Nov 24, 2017.

1. steve beschakis

steve beschakis PaddleN00b

Had a fun little Black Friday workout today. Conditions on the 14-mile route were varied: coves and bays were near-glassy but heading south was sometimes a whitecapped battle--kinda fun to get tossed around, but you really lose your sense of forward progress. The plan was a full circumnavigation of Mercer Island, but after feeling that wind, I opted to do a slightly longer but more protected route, departing Seward Park, bolting directly across the lake to check out Bellevue's Meydenbauer Bay, then punching and kicking my way south to pass under the East Channel Bridge where I circled around for the return, this time using the prevailing gusts for speed and the floating bridge as a windbreak. Some pix:

Shooting under I-90...
    [​IMG]

Lemme take a selfie...
    [​IMG]

Fancy houses...
    [​IMG]

Wot da hell are they doing to Maydenbauer Park?
    [​IMG]

...whatever they're planning, it includes some kind of extensive pier or something, judging from the piles that have been sunk...
    [​IMG]

Sneakin' around... "PRIVATE! KEEP OUT! NO RIFF RAFF! hahahaha
    [​IMG]

Observing the One-Percenters in their native habitat...
    [​IMG]

East Channel Bridge. Time to turn around a get some tailwind...weeeeee!
    [​IMG]

2. chodups

chodups Paddler

Wish I had been with you. Looks like a nice day to be on the lake.

3. steve beschakis

hey yeah. any time you're in the area, just PM me and we'll launch! ...if you don't mind being seen with a n00b and hist shiny new boat, that is. hahaha --cheers

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

You're lucky to have that in your backyard! Who made your paddle, and is it 1 or 2 piece? :)

5. steve beschakis

Two-piece...it's one of these:
    http://www.gearlabpaddles.com/index.php

I was only keeping it on board for a backup, but I liked it so much for touring, it's my main paddle now. No feathring, hold it low...so much easier for low-stress cruising. They say the Greenland style paddles are slow, but I find the easier stroke permits a faster cadence that's more comfortable and just as fast as my regular paddle. Also, if you really drive with this thing, and use a more conventional technique, they sprint pretty well too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Gearlab is where I've been looking for a 2-piece. Glad you like it! I'm totally sold on GPs--just need one that can travel. :)

7. designer

designer Paddler

Your photos are so sharp! What were you using? Have phone cameras gotten that good?