• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Wood glue

Man in qajaq

Paddler
Does wood glue ever expire? I have a bottle of titebond wood glue that is several years old. The possibility of it freezing may have occurred as it is stored in an unheated workshop, in a workbench drawer. Can i tell if its ok?
My plan is to use it for making a laminated Greenland paddle.
Thx
LANNY

Test it on a sample of the wood you will use for the paddle. It should not be separable at the glue joint when you tear the glued section apart. The wood should fail first.

Look at it in the container first. If it is separated into two layers, toss it. A bottle of fresh glue is a small investment compared to your labor and time in making a new paddle.

When I have glue that might be "questionable", as in your case, I save it for less critical projects.

I'm assuming you're referring to Titebond II or III as they are the only ones with any water resistance.

Back