Woohoo I got my boat!!! But now it needs work

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Desertboater, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Desertboater

Desertboater Paddler

So I made it through the summer up in Alaska and am now back in Arizona dry and warm with school having just started up. A friend of mine just finished his drive from New England back out here, and with him came both of my sea kayaks!! The boat that needs work is my cedar strip Night Heron. Unfortunately it has spent the better part of two years sitting in an outdoor rack (with a tarp over the rack...) tsk tsk on me, I know, but being a student in AZ I didn't really see the need to have it out here. Anyway, I know I need some new varnish on her as well as a couple of glass repairs.

There are a couple of spots where it looks like water has gotten through the glass (either from the outside or the inside) and has started to discolor the wood. My biggest question is whether I'll be able to just sand down through the glass and through the top layer of wood to good unblemished wood and then re-apply glass, epoxy, and sand until faired smooth? Or will I need to replace the wood within the area completely? If I had to guess, I would guess that it depends on how bad the blemishing is...but I'm looking for any and all outside suggestions.

Also, I'd like to incorporate some VCP round hatches into the forward and aft compartments. Anybody have any tricks?

I'm going to have minimal access to tools, and definitely no access to any sort of shop machinery, IE table saw, router table, plane, jointer, etc...hand tools only.

Thanks for reading this now rather long post, and any/all input is much appreciated.

Also, if you're interested (and you probably are,) pictures of the finished boat (the day after the last coat of varnish) should be attached below:

[​IMG]
    Bow

[​IMG]
    Stern

[​IMG]
    Stern

[​IMG]
    Bow

2. LeadFingers

LeadFingers Paddler

That looks too sweet.

Since you're already planning on revarnishing it, you might let it bake in the Az sun with the hatches off for a few days. This might pull the water out of the wood and return it to the normal color. If that works 1/2 the battle is over. If not, sand through the glass and again let it bake for a few days before sanding any further. 2 to 5 days of UV exposure isn't doing serious damage so worst case scenario all you've lost is a few days.

3. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

discolored wood

It is hard to tell without photos of the bad areas.
    But:
    If the glass is still clear and the cedar has changed color, the problem might be in the wood. If the wood has changed color you will probably not be able to sand it out. Find someone who really knows wood to look at it before you start to sand. The problem might not of been caused by water.
    If the glass is no longer clear, then you will need to remove the glass and sand to the wood. Depending on the amount of damage you might want to remove all the glass and re-glass. But first I would test a small area and try to reapply epoxy.
    Roy

4. Desertboater

Desertboater Paddler

Yeah the glass is still clear except in a few places where it has obviously been cracked. I plan on repairing those spots first then hoping that the AZ sun has worked its drying magic... Also if anyone has any idea what might be causing the glass on my deck to separate at the ends of some of my strip joints so that the weave is clearly visible (white woven strands.) input is much appreciated. I would add pictures of exactly what I'm talking about, but my computer died yesterday so I'm running off just my iPod at the moment...

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

West,

It really is difficult for us to diagnose this remotely. It would be best to get someone knowledgeable to look at it.

True rot will not change color with some drying out. Any delamination of the glass mandates a sand-through to the wood and reglassing. Any glass that is now not clear which was clear before has either suffered from severe print-through (usually caused by over-heating), or no longer adheres to the wood. Again, sand all the way through and glass it anew.

It will be worth it to repair it well. Any shoddy repairs will only cause more deterioration of the wood.

6. MartinZ

MartinZ Paddler

West,

That's weird, I didn't even notice those spots when you had your boat at the warehouse other day.

Come on over and practice repair technique on my Wherry which has the same problem in spades...

I'm with Dave - get the old glass off of there.