• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Would have lasted longer with Manny Pacquiao!

Tsunami

Paddler
Hi All,
After all the rain the past week I was eager to go out for a paddle in my kayak the other day.
Well I decided to take my Yak up the Gorge just north of Victoria harbour. I paddled up from around Esquimalt and it took me an hour to get there. http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=48.446 ... 0Bridge___
I saw some paddlers in an outrigger canoe going around in circles in and out of the current and they asked me if I was going through, I said "Sure I'll give it a try"-my first mistake. :popcorn:
So as the water was moving kinda fast and I have no kayaking experience in fast moving water or strong currents, in anything other than an inner tube or a motorized raft, I thought (2nd mistake) that I would come in from the left side instead of trying to fight the current all the way through. I came in from the pool on the left into the rushing waters and tried to paddle against the current seeing as I only had twenty feet to go through and then their'd be smooth sailing after that :roll:
So as I entered the current all ideas of going upstream left me and I thought ok, I'll just let the current take me back down to the smoother waters. Well no sooner had I begun that thought I was sideways and then up side down almost as fast as I took my last breath. :shock: For about one millionth of a second I thought I might try the Eskimo roll but again that thought left me as my paddle was torn from my hands and I was reefed out of my Yak With Authority! With my drysuit on and my new PFD I wasn't under water for more than 2 seconds it seemed but my leg was caught in my kayak and I had to struggle to get free. It occurred to me about two seconds after that, that that's the only reason my kayak wasn't in Seattle while I was bobbing around the inlet. It was over before it began and I really only did one thing wrong,... EVERYTHING...
The guide in the outrigger canoe asked if I was alright and I told him I was ok, just going to paddle to shore and climb back in the yak. when I got to shore about ten min later their was only barnacles to try to stand on as they stuck out 1/4 of an inch from the sheer rock face. I decided to take to the water again and paddle/swim to some other rocks that looked like a bit of shallows maybe not even 18 feet away. You know its difficult to swim a distance in a drysuit and PFD pulling a waterlogged kayak...? Another 5 min for that. I stood, or tried to on some rolling rocks in about two feet of water but wasn't having much luck. The guide in the outrigger canoe was backing in over to me and asked me if I wanted some help getting back in my kayak, all my life I always turned down offers of assistance and the words almost came out of my mouth "No I'll be alright" but instead I said "well if you don't mind, sure I'd like some help". So after he hauled my kayak up on to his canoe and dumped the water out he held it so I could get back in, good thing cause those legs of mine that I have so much trouble with weren't going to take much more and I could hardly stand.
I was warm and dry, though out of breath for the first ten min after the capsize and I was still having fun even though my legs were going to quit so easily on me. But after what I put them through I still constantly ask more of them than they can deliver and they were about to rebel and entirely let me down.
So anyway this guide, Corey is his name, complemented me on having all the right gear and told me I am welcome to come paddling the outrigger canoe on Wed nights or Sun afternoons. Really great guy. :big_thumb He told me of a few people and places I could learn some skills and we talked about kayak instruction for a few min, he was friendly without criticizing my lack of abilities.
I never felt I was in any real danger, wasn't frightening or anything and I was quite relaxed and did have some fun.
(Years ago white water rafting down the Fraser and Thompson rivers was pretty unsafe I thought at the time as the raft folded in half and I flew over everybody's heads and luckily landed back in the raft).
But this was no big deal, just another learning experience. I sure am glad I have a drysuit and that is a fact! I did realize I need to learn to do a self rescue. And when classes start up in the spring I'll somehow find the money to go.
All and all it was a good day. :D
I hope everyone has fun out on the water this year.
Tiger Tsunami.

Ah, Tiger, now you are learning faster! What a great experience! I bet with a little more savvy on crossing current lines, eddy lines, and some instruction on low and high bracing, you can go back to that thumper and nail it!

Keep the feng shui going!

Thanks AstoriaDave I need all the feng shui I can get-or send out, wind-water. maybe next week I'll take er on again and win ;)
I checked out the links you posted in the other thread and the price for level one, self rescues, is not too bad at $140. Its two months away though. Gives me time to collect some cans and bottles to pay for it.
Worth every penny I am thinking.
Tiger Tsunami.

Level One will cover the basics and get you pointed in the right direction. Important to have a spotter the first time or two you do wet exits. That momentary foot/leg catch when you went over must have been scary. Be good to figure out what got snagged and fix that. Setsuko Cox, aka Sushi, got trapped once when a zipper pull on her drysuit, at her hip, got snagged in a crevice adjacent to her seat. Could have been fatal. She changed out the tags on her zipper pulls ASAP. Her story is on here somewhere, very early on, within first 6 months or so WCP existed, if you go searching for it.

Thanks for telling about your incident as it is instructive on many levels.

And don't feel too bad about what happened as you actually did many things to make your situation ok:
- you were wearing thermal protection (& pfd)- so if everything went wrong you could last it out for some time.
- you were paddling close to shore so if everything went wrong, you could at least get to shore.
- you were paddling in a populated area, so others might be able to assist or call to assist
- you were paddling close to others who would be able to assist if necessary

and best of all, you're strongly considering learning/getting some backups to substitute if some of those above are not present. Thanks again.

One option you have, Tsunami, for learning about currents is the Pacific Paddling Symposium, May 30 to June 1. It's in your neighbourhood. Check out last year's schedule here:
http://www.pacificpaddlingsymposium.ca/

It's a great way to pick up some skills and meet a bunch of paddlers, not to mention having a good time.

One bit of advice. If you decide you want to go to the Symposium, don't noodle about. They are going to open registration on February 24. On that date, get on the website and sign up fast. It will fill up very quickly.

Thanks for all the positive support peeps :)
AstoriaDave I believe it was the way I exited and twisted before I was fully out of the kayak, legs just don't bend that way-Well mine did once. I don't want to ever go through that again and all the metal inside my bones with the plates, screws and pins are sure to make sure they wont bend around like that ever again, One good thing. It was just the way I came out and the current pulling my kayak, wasn't anything I was wearing catching. Their is a foam divider between my legs for flotation when sitting in the Tsunami 120 and that makes it awkward for anything other than straight in or straight out un/mounting. I made sure to buy boots without buckles and have no dangling bits except for my knife and camera lanyards from my pfd chest anchor to the pockets. My camera was secured to the decking bungees but the batteries were dead so I have no footage. Their wouldn't have been much footage anyway, like I posted earlier it was over before it began. I am sure I would have gone at least a full 15 seconds with Manny Pacquiao, lol. :p
(prob not actually, Pacquiao is pretty good at what he does).

And Yes Layback I think that Symposium is a great idea. Three hundred bucks is a lot of money but proper health and safety instruction is usually worth more than gold and compared to the cost of life, 300 bones is cheap.

mick_allen I wrestled with the idea of going out without proper gear just to have some fun but a reminder of a time I left my riding pants at home on a sunny day for a "quick ride" that turned into a Quick slide across the face of the earth brought me back to ATGATT for a time. But waiting until I had my drysuit before heading out on the ocean in the off season, I thought long and hard about risking it though and was determined again until I remembered how cold I was when I fell through the ice working up north. I have more than enough reasons to know better and glad I gave in to the voice of experience.

Watching YT videos gives a clue on strategies but proper instruction from someone who knows and then practice what was taught will yield positive results in far less time with any skill set activity IMO. Lord knows I can use the instruction. Its coming up with the money thats an issue.
But the funny/strange part is it was still fun, I thought I would Hate going over and would be unhappy when the day came, I was actually laughing about it. I credit the drysuit for that. In my jeans and t-shirt I would have prob been pretty upset in the cold water that long. So one more time I am going to thank AstoriaDave for allowing me to take the Tiger off his hands, and rest assured will be taken care of and appreciated off the shores of Vancouver Island.
Thanks Dave :big_thumb
Tiger Tsunami.

Tsunami said:
But waiting until I had my drysuit before heading out on the ocean in the off season, I thought long and hard about risking it though and was determined again until I remembered how cold I was when I fell through the ice working up north. I have more than enough reasons to know better and glad I gave in to the voice of experience.
:big_thumb Glad you made the right decision to wear immersion gear, especially this time of year! Your investment made a "whoops, that was a (fun) learning experience" out of an event that could have been much more serious.

Tsunami said:
Watching YT videos gives a clue on strategies but proper instruction from someone who knows and then practice what was taught will yield positive results in far less time with any skill set activity IMO. Lord knows I can use the instruction. Its coming up with the money thats an issue.
Have your considered joining a club like SISKA? The annual membership fee is only $40, and it would be a great place to meet other paddlers. They run workshops and training sessions at very reasonable costs.

Keep on paddling! :cool

Back