Wrist Gasket Replacement - Video

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by VanIslePaddler, Oct 20, 2013.

1. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Hey Folks!

Just incase you feel the need to replace the latex wrist gasket on your paddling jacket / Drysuit...

:)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgtNkK22JPQ[/youtube]

Not an expert... but it works!

2. AM

AM Paddler

Great video, Liam. Thanks! I replaced my first gaskets a couple of years ago and it was something that every drysuit owner can do themselves.

Cheers,
    Andrew

3. dr_penner

dr_penner Paddler

Perfect timing! I was about to replace my gaskets in the next few weeks. Thanks! Do you have a vid for the neck gasket?

KP

4. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Thanks folks...

Penner - I have the footage for a neck gasket repair... just have to edit it together! Soon... :) I did wrists and neck at the same time.

5. nootka

nootka Paddler

I just tried this method.

I fit the large wrist gaskets (there are large & extra-large), and had difficulty with the cone size.
    You need a cone big enough so it expands the old gasket very slightly. The wrist part of the new gasket is too small to fit over the cone, and it gets stretched too much. I found the old gasket wanted to pull off in one direction and the new gasket wanted to pull off in the other direction.

I had to cut the cone down in length. I also had to tape the old gasket to the cone. It would have helped if I had pre-stretched the new gaskets.You likely will have an easier time of it if you fit the extra large gaskets.

I only put aquaseal on the old gasket. Once it is spread smoothly, it will adhere to the new gasket just fine. If there is no aquaseal on the new gasket, it is a little easier wrestling it into position.

I put masking tape on sticky side in, it's just easier to put on.

If I had a wood lathe, I would turn cylinders of just the right size, with a very slight taper down from interior to exterior.

Thanks Liam!

6. nootka

nootka Paddler

Tried a new form for wrist gasket replacement, and it worked great!
    I had trouble using a cone as the gasket wanted to slide off the cone.

I took an old nalgene bottle (polycarb) and increased its OD just a bit with some packing foam & tuck tape,
    such that the new gasket is stretched very slightly when it sits on the sleeve / old gasket.

Everything stayed put, which made for an easy install.

7. fyrediver

fyrediver New Member

My dry top had velcro tabs that cover the latex seals. They restricted the size of the "cone" that I could put down the sleeve so I had to improvise. I used large yogurt containers with the bottom cut out. I then split the side of the container from top to bottom. I inserted the overlapping and now split container into the sleeve and then placed and inflated a balloon into the container to make it expand. Worked like a charm!