writing on laminated charts?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by M.A.X, Mar 24, 2010.

1. M.A.X

M.A.X Paddler

Hey guys

Quick question: what do you use to write on laminated charts?

I tried using Staedtler Lumocolor non-permament fine-tip markers (water soluble) but they seem to smear very easily even without water. I'm wondering if there is something better.

Also, how about something for writing on the transparent cover of a chart bag (like this one) when on the water. The Staedtler markers don't work because they're water soluble. I'm assuming the only option would be a grease pencil? Anyone try this?

Anyone know where I could purchase a mechanical grease pencil in Vancouver?

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

MAX,

I use so-called permanent markers with a very fine point, made by Sanford, called Sharpies -- which come in several point sizes. The extra fine ones are the best. A wipe with alcohol will quickly remove the "permanent" ink from the plastic laminate surface, a convenience for the Trangia stove users (we have a substantial cult of those here :wink: :lol: ).

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Grease pencils work great, and can be removed with soap and some heavy scrubbing. You can even write trip notes, weather reports, tide info etc. right on the deck of your composite kayak and it'll come off the same way. They're available from any good stationary or art store. Not sure if you have Monk's on the mainland but that's where I got mine. I'd expect Staples to have them too though.

I'm not sure if they call them grease pencils all the time - just look for the paper-wrapped pencils with the little string hanging out to help in peeling back the paper. You might want to wrap the pencil with electrical tape or heat-shrink to make the paper wrapping more waterproof.

4. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Grease pencils are also called chinagraph pencils. Very easy to use then wipe laminated maps clean. Or you can use one to scribble notes directly onto your deck (headings, times, etc). Comes off easily by wiping with a cloth.

My understanding is that the wax-paper pencils tend to unravel fairly easily in a marine environment.

Royal Sovereign make chinagraph pencils that have wood rather than wax-paper around the "lead" so they can be used like regular pencils. Hard to find in North America (I got my father to buy me some in the UK and ship them over) but I did just find this US art supply company selling them.

5. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

6. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

M.A.X.,
    I use a chinagraph pencil but have been searching on and off for years for the mechanical grease pen that you speak of, I know they existed because my father used them in his business years ago. A short little shirt pocket size with a clip and twisty end to push out the grease lead.

The mechanical pen could be attached by string to the outside of the chart for making notes while on the move rather then my current habit of storing the china pencil in the case.

Dave R

7. thief

thief Paddler

8. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

9. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

10. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

I found online sources for the Listo mechanical grease pen but have not been able to find a local Seattle retailer online who carries them. I may have to resort to using a phone book and making some calls.
    http://www.discountofficeitems.com/offi ... p8563.html

[​IMG][​IMG]

Custom printing is available upon request, West Coast Paddler Pens :D
    [​IMG]

Dave R

11. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

12. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Staedler used to offer an eraser pen for the permanent markers. I´d try a drafting store.

The markers leak. The points blunt easily making writing hard to read. The earasers don´t get all of the marks and leave a blurred mess. They´re good for putting your mark on stuff but that´s about all.

Grease pencils work on stuff that won´t get rubbed by the sleeve of your shirt. Works better on Mac Tac than on laminates. As pointed out, the paper shell wears out fast when wet.

Pencil and paper work best; tried; tested; and true by a millenia of mariners, surveyors and other folks who work exposed to the elements. Use a map case and don´t buy the expensive laminated charts. Do any work under a roof (or a poncho) so the rain won´t wreck the paper.

No point in mucking around with markers.

13. thief

thief Paddler

so the deck slate - i like it. works well....putting it on is a different matter!!!! i only have the right hand writing area....the left hand one got bubbled and torn during installation....

the stuff is like a very thin adhesive backed pvc.....i would imagine a sign maker probably could get you something like it pretty cheap...maybe even cut offs ;)

14. darya

darya New Member

Ecomarine has the mechanized grease pencils and refills in stock :)