WTB: Single or tandem touring Folbot

Discussion in 'WCP Buy & Sell' started by vitaly, Jun 2, 2017.

1. vitaly

vitaly Paddler

We would like to acquire a Folbot that's suitable for multi-day touring. Sample models would be Cooper, G2, Kodiak, etc. The boat must be in excellent condition and of fairly recent vintage. We are in Toronto, Canada, so can pick up nearby boats or pay you for shipping.

Please PM with your boat's details and we can go from there. It's a great chance to offload your rarely-used boat and get a fellow paddler back in the water :)

P.S. May consider other higher-end folders, though would prefer to stay with Folbot.

Thanks,
    Vitaly

2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I notice 3 folbots for sale on vancouver's craigslist - maybe check them out.

3. vitaly

vitaly Paddler

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for pretty recent vintage boats. 10-15 years old would probably be the absolutely oldest I would consider.

Thanks,
    Vitaly

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Vitaly, that Super is a bomb, but definitely not a Folbot I would choose for your venture.

I am a longtime Folbot devotee, and own a few newer models. The G II or the Kodiak would be the most durable, with the Kodiak edging out the G II in that respect. We took our G II to the Charlottes, 1998 and 2000. Worked well, although that huge open cockpit could be a liability in heavy seas, and the G II is not up to dumping surf. If you expect to make surf landings, the Kodiak would be a better choice.

It is a stretch, but Graham and Linda Heslop, in the Victoria area, may still own their G II. Link to her web site. She is a remarkable artist. http://lindaheslop.com/?page_id=15

5. vitaly

vitaly Paddler

Courtesy of this site we were able to purchase a Folbot Kiawah. So need just one more (single) folder to complete the set. In the order of preference, the 2nd boat would be:

1) Folbot Cooper
    2) Folbot Kiawah
    3) Trak
    4) Pakboats Quest 135/155
    5) Everything else

Please PM or reply with your kayak's details. I would like to complete the purchase of the 2nd boat quickly so we can get the most out of the 2017 paddling season!

Thanks,
    Vitaly

6. benson

benson Paddler

Check out Seattle Craigslist...Folbot Cooper.

7. vitaly

vitaly Paddler

I believe you are referring to https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/6180361607.html

That post is a little strange. The same ad seems to have been posted several times over the past months. The pictures (or at least most of them) are generic, from other boats. And the frame picture is from Folbot Kiawah, a different and slightly shorter boat.

I will check with the owner anyway to find out the details. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks,
    Vitaly

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Vitaly, when the Folbot Forum was active, we would see about one CL ad a month from someone plainly posing a boat for sale that they did not own. This one may be legit. Phone and find out.

9. designer

designer Paddler

If your desire for "recent" has to do with concern of aging materials, sometimes there's a sideways move. A friend talked me into buying a Folboat kit in 1974, The kit was stored in his workshop (three story high outbuilding) for 20 years. When I finally had a place where I could build, my friend informed me that most of the glues and binders had dried out and replacement chemicals were unavailable. So I just give him the kit to salvage what he could. He built the frame and instead of the two-layer fabric cover, he fiberglassed it. It weights 80 - 90 lbs. If headed for a buoy, the buoy gets out of the way.

I'm guessing a lot of "wear" has to do with how the boat was stored - inside or covered, out of the UV, or in direct sunlight.

Hope you find what your heart desires (and it's the right boat for your intended adventures).