Yet Another Newbie

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by aklinz, Oct 7, 2005.

1. aklinz

aklinz Paddler

Hello. I am new to this forum, and wanted to introduce myself. Although I lived in Vancouver for 5 years, I currently reside in Sherwood Park, Alberta (near Edmonton). I just turned down a transfer to Campbell River (bummer!) but the wife and I intend to get somewhere on one of the islands eventually! Got a daughter to get married off first! We paddle Feathercraft kayaks, and have a friend with a Feathercraft Klondike also. I am awaiting the delivery of my Balogh Batwing Sailrig, which I will be attaching to my Feathercraft K1. I hope to post some details and pics of kayak sailing in this forum soon.

Cheers !!

Andrew Klinzmann

p.s. How do you add a picture to a message?

2. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

Welcome to the site Andrew! Enjoy your stay. I spent several years in Edmonton (UofA) and I've also spend countless days working out of Campbell River and area. Must say, I much prefer Campbell River. :lol:

To post a picture you need to type

[​IMG]

3. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Hey Andrew,

I’m located in Red Deer but, like you, would love to move out to the west coast some day. Am currently out on the Island and plan to paddle around the Broken Group next week.

Where do you do most of your paddling in AB?

4. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

That should be peaceful, and wet 8O
    Have a great time 8)

5. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Thanks Darren. Looks like a wet one for sure. If anything, we’ll enjoy the peace. :)

It’s a roll of the dice as far as the weather goes for this time of year. That being said, we there in May and it was also pretty damp. I guess it makes up for all of the fair weather trips we did out there in the past.

6. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Welcome alkinz, another former Edmontonian (was there in the early eighties in the army) and am now back on the very northwest coast. Glad to have you aboard...

7. andreas

andreas Paddler

welcome andrew,

nice to see a new paddler in the forum!
    keep posting and see you on the water :D

andreas

8. aklinz

aklinz Paddler

Hey Batstar!

The wife and I and a friend usually paddle the Red Deer and the North Saskatchewan rivers. When we lived in Vancouver, we did it all. Miss the ocean terribly. :( Just finished a 3 day trip down the Red Deer River on the labour day weekend. Sunny days, and rain and wind at night. Not too bad, really.

When my Balogh Batwing sail rig arrives, I will be doing some training on local lakes, in order to learn how to sail. I can't wait for it to get here! If I can figure out how to post pics, I will include some shots of the Feathercraft K1 fully rigged out with the sail and outriggers.

Andy Furguson, thanks for the tip on posting, but it didn't work. How do I include a pic, if it is stored on my harddrive?

Andrew

p.s. Enjoy the trip Batstar. Outta be a blast. Stay Dry!

9. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

In order to post a pic it has to be hosted somewhere on the internet. There are a number of free posting sites out there (Photobucket for example) that will allow you to post pics for free. Once your file is posted there then you can link to it as Andy posted.

You'll need to know the specific url of the picture so after you've uploaded it somewhere then you just right click on the pic and view the properties. You can cut and paste the url into your post on this site.

Hope that helps

10. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Haven’t done any river paddling yet, but have tackled many of the lakes around here. I’ve heard from others that the Devon to Edmonton water trail on the North Sask is quite scenic. Would also be kinda neat to paddle the Red Deer River through Dinosaur Provincial Park.

Maligne Lake is another a great destination since the campsites can only be accessed by boat.

After all is said and done, it’s really hard to beat the paddling out here on the B.C. coast. With so many destinations and such diverse sea life, I can understand why you miss it so much.

Look forward to seeing pics of your rig! :)

Cheers