Your thoughts on the Prijon Marlin

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pending, Aug 21, 2010.

1. pending

pending New Member

Hello all.

I have recently had the desire to take up sea kayaking. I found this forum and have read through many of your reviews on kayaks and feel I have learned quite a bit. Originally I was thinking of purchasing a Prijon Kodiak and I still may. Being my first sea kayak I do not want to purchase a glass boat. I like the fact that the Prijon plastic is bomb proof.

I am 6' tall 210# and hopefully dropping.
    Shoe size is 10.5

My intended use would mainly be touring at this time. 1-2 day touring and later week long + touring.
    However, later I think I would like a second more responsive play type of boat.

Based on your reviews I have looked at the CD and Necky poly boats.

Has anyone paddled the Marlin in plastic or Prilite which I think is thermoform? If so what are your thoughts?
    Please recommend any other kayaks you think fit this category.

Unfortunately I only have one local dealer that reps sea kayaks and he does not rent out or demo many boats. He is a dealer for CD, Necky and Prijon.

Thanks for all of the great postings that help people like me out and thanks for you advise.

David

2. AM

AM Paddler

Hi David,

I'm not surprised that no one has jumped in on your post, because you don't see a lot of Prijons paddled locally. Where are you, anyway?

I own an older (ca. 1998) Kodiak, but have never paddled a Marlin, so I can't help you with your specific question. I would suggest, however, that your boat buying process should be guided more by the fit, comfort, and suitability of the boat for your paddling goals than by the specific type of material. Prijon plastic, Necky/CD plastic, 3-layer plastic: they all do the job, the boats all float. And, if money is not an obstacle, don't rule out fiber-glass, which is very resilient.

So it really comes down to what fits your body and your paddling goals. The best way to clarify these issues is to take some lessons: your instructor will help you learn to identify proper boat fit and paddling preference. With that knowledge, you can demo to your heart's content and make an informed purchase decision.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. rider

rider Paddler

I have to partially disagree. Yes, lessons are a good idea for skill development,and demoing is very important. But, opinions on boat fit and performance vary GREATLY from one guide/instructor to another. Just like different instructors teach different ways of, anything from getting into the boat to rolling, and many seem to think their way is the only way.
    One thing about Prijon plastic boats that may be a hindrance during self rescues and rolling that requires a lay-back, is the fact pretty much all of them have a hideously high back deck. A non-issue for a c-to-c roll however.And I'll hazard an educated guess that the tall rear deck is a factor in Prijon boat overall stiffness since that's where plastic boats with low back decks seem to flex the most.
    Fiberglass vs plastic has been debated to death and back already, so I'll only say that if you're not going to beat your boat on rocks or drop it from the roof rack, 'glass will be fine.
    (And IMHO the 3 layer plastic,for all it's hype, is no better than the generic single layer rotomolded variety,in fact I think it's worse)
    Blow molded Prijon plastic IS tougher than the usual single-layer rotomolded stuff,but the difference will only really show after consistent beating/dragging. Proper storage/transportation is important with either, I HAVE seen prijon boats oil-can too.

4. AM

AM Paddler

Actually, Rider, I don't think we're disagreeing. I'm assuming the OP is halfways intelligent and realizes that he has to do his own thinking. Instruction will get him asking questions that he otherwise wouldn't, as in (to use your example): "should I worry about rear deck height, since I may want to do layback rolls?" Learning the parameters of our own ignorance is perhaps the greatest benefit of taking a course.

5. pending

pending New Member

I am in Texas. Around here kayaking is mainly sots for fishing. There are few kayak shops around and they mainly carry rec and sot's which makes it difficult for me to test fit and paddle.

I do plan on taking some lessons and I am currently practicing bracing and hip snaps in my pool with my wifes Manitou 13 which seems like a beastly wide boat.

What books or videos would you recommend?

Thanks,

David

6. rider

rider Paddler

Ken Whiting's Kayak Roll is a good DVD, though a bit on the short side. Rolling is the one thing where there is NO substitute for GOOD instruction,in my opinion, as bad habits can easily turn into bad shoulder injuries.
    Manitou 13 should actually roll just fine, though the cockpit is hardly outfitted for it in stock form. Plenty of modern whitewater kayaks that are just as wide(and the bigger Jacksons have cockpits nearly as big too,uhh.) .
    My only real experience with Prijon boats was using a Seayak in a 20 mile endurance race and I can honestly say,that other than the superb foil shaped rudder blade, there's nothing it'll do that a regular poly Necky Elaho won't do better.But a Kodiak would be a different animal altogether.

7. pending

pending New Member

I will check into that dvd.
    Anyone here have any thoughts on the usk vol 1-5 dvd series?

8. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

No experience of the USK dvds.

"The Kayak Roll" by Kent Ford, is IMHO the best dvd on rolling, bar none.