Zegul Greenland GT back band

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Bluenose, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Bluenose

Bluenose Paddler

Picked up a Zegul Greenland GT recently and I feel the back band is incredibly stiff and hampers my rolling. It seems to really dig into my back. I was going to replace it with a more pliable band but once removed the boat as comfortable without one at all. Anyone out there not paddling with any back support? What's your thoughts on the issue.

2. Bluenose

Bluenose Paddler

Just came to the realization that my surf ski has no back band. The Zegul seat isn't much shallower than the ski.

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

When I took some classes with BodyBoatBlade a few years ago, I paddled one of their Romany boats. When I comented on the lack of a separate backband, LeonSomme and Shawna Franklin both mentioned that they routinely removed them as they found them unnecessary and they did get in the way when doing a 'butt first' entry into the boat - something I had problems with in my boat at the time.
    The NDK seat that is in the Romany has a short sloping 'back'.

Since then I haven't used a separate backband in any of my boats - they either get a Romany-style seat (once piece molded composite) or they are Mariners without separate backbands. On the Romany-style seats I've made, I've increased the back height an inch or so.

The backband and seat back are really there to remind me to 'sit up straight' most of the time. In the Mariner Coaster I sometimes crank the seat back up snug when playing in rougher water but generally leave it in a 'sloped back' position as well.

4. semdoug

semdoug Paddler

The two surfskis I have owned both had pretty deep buckets, so no need for a back band.

To your question about back bands. I prefer no back band, but in reality have one in every kayak. The compromise is to have one that is as minimalist as possible. I also find back bands make torso rotation a bit uncomfortable. The problem, for me anyway, is that on long paddles I feel myself starting to slouch and lean back; not a good posture for paddling long distances. The back band helps with this. They are properly installed and adjusted to not hinder entry and exit of the cockpit.

In lieu of a back band, some paddlers like a small foam block carved and fitted to provide a little support but still allow for comfort in torso rotation and rolling.

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

semdoug wrote: [make sure ...] They are properly installed and adjusted to not hinder entry and exit of the cockpit.

My biggest beef with seatbacks, and backbands: The tops must be anchored underdecks to the rear so that entry or exit is not impeded when sliding over the rear coaming. About 60 to 80 percent or so of the ones I have sampled, over the years, failed this test. Truly dangerous. And simple to fix: cable tie bungie loops to something on the top edge of the seatback, one port side, one starboard side, and hook each loop onto its dedicated post or hook, deep underdecks, near the rear bulkhead. When you need access to gear behind the seatback, detach each loop, rummage, reattach, and go.

6. tmgr

tmgr Paddler

If you don't miss it, don't worry about it. I have taken the back bands out of some of my kayaks. For me, a lot depends on how supportive the seat is. So, if you don't need it, it is probably just in the way...

7. benson

benson Paddler

The foam block (e.g 3") as mentioned can be glued or velcroed in to just support the spine and tapered to fit as high up towards the cowling as you want...carved to comfort and out of the way for re-entry.