Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question re/ kayak choice
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:58 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Hi - I'm brand new to kayaking and am considering one of these two kayaks (both second-hand, in great condition): Current Design Storm 17 or a Necky Zoar Sport 14. I'll primarily be using it from my oceanfront cabin but may also want to load onto my jeep if possible in order to take it to a lake or join a paddling club outing. I'm female, 5'6", 140 pounds. I appreciate both choices are pretty heavy I think but I'm willing to work with that. Any advice very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on making a choice between these two :)

Post subject: Re: Question re/ kayak choice
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:23 am 
Paddler
Paddler

My first kayak was a Delta 14.5, and although it served me well, I would have picked a longer boat, if I had known. I do 90% ocean paddling, and although the Delta 14.5 had tons of room for tripping, it was a bit sluggish versus my paddling buddies in longer boats.
so, the Storm may serve you better, but if you can, take a test paddle in both to see how YOU like them.

I have also included a review of each from the web, so that may also help...
both are great kayaks, although the Storm was designed by one of Victoria's local wonders, Brian Henry, (now owner of Ocean River Sports) so IMHO, you can't go wrong with it.

https://www.rapidmedia.com/adventurekay ... nt-designs
https://paddling.com/reviews/product/ne ... ort-kayak/

Hope this helps...although far from the last word...
R

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 am 
Paddler
Paddler

NewPaddler10 wrote:
Hi - I'm brand new to kayaking and am considering one of these two kayaks (both second-hand, in great condition): Current Design Storm 17 or a Necky Zoar Sport 14. I'll primarily be using it from my oceanfront cabin but may also want to load onto my jeep if possible in order to take it to a lake or join a paddling club outing. I'm female, 5'6", 140 pounds. I appreciate both choices are pretty heavy I think but I'm willing to work with that. Any advice very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on making a choice between these two :)

Welcome to kayaking and the WestCoastPaddler forum! :D
Where are you located? I don't know how many kayaks are available in your area, but it is springtime, and boats will start to hit the 'For Sale' listings once the sunny days arrive- so there may be more choices than you might think.

For the Storm:
Quote:
While predictable and stable, the Storm is also a graceful kayak that’s as fast and manoeuvrable as any boat in her class. Little Goldilocks might want a smaller boat like the CD Squamish, but for an ex-pro wrestler like Goldust or any other mid- to large-sized paddler looking for a durable, affordable plastic kayak with room to carry gear on extended voyages, the boat that was “juuust right” to begin with is now even better.

Attachment:
CD Storm.JPG
CD Storm.JPG [ 42.24 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

Necky:
Attachment:
Necky Zoar.JPG
Necky Zoar.JPG [ 72.13 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

You will soon notice that almost all commercial kayaks seem to be designed for an 'average' :D male paddler -a strapping 6-footer weighing 180-200 lbs.......so when a boat is advertised as having 'an extremely large cockpit', or suitable for a paddler weight of 150-250 lbs, you should probably look further, unless you want a boat for (slow) flatwater paddlng or photography.

IMO, most women should be looking for boats 'designed for the smaller paddler'.
Using that standard, I wouldn't recommend either the Necky Zoar or CD Storm for you.

Are you planning to take lessons? Your instructor will have some good ideas on boat choices.

Can you rent boats in your area? If you are 'itching to get going', getting a rack for your vehicle, a good PFD, a decent paddle, etc. can be your first steps, while deciding on a boat.

You don't find many paddlers complaining that their boats are too slow or too light ! Even on a budget, there are choices out there.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 am 
Paddler
Paddler

I'll echo the welcomes to WCP.

NewPaddler10 wrote:
Hi - I'm brand new to kayaking and am considering one of these two kayaks (both second-hand, in great condition): Current Design Storm 17 or a Necky Zoar Sport 14.

I gather that you are choosing between these two kayaks because they are available to you?

At 5'6", 140 pounds, you are not a large paddler. Kayak fit is really helpful and the CD Storm is a big kayak, which fits big people well. The Zoar at 25" wide, is pretty wide for a sea kayak, and I expect that you won't fit it very well, either. Of the two, I expect that the Storm is a better kayak and more seaworthy, but I've no experience with the Zoar so I'm just basing that on the specs. I like the Storm as a decent all-purpose and tripping kayak that suits beginners larger than you are fairly well. The storm's smaller sister, the Squall, would be much more suitable for someone your size.

John's advice is good, and I'd recommend signing up for some lessons if you haven't taken them before. In my experience, instructors are pretty happy to chat about gear and will likely have some recommendations for you. Chances are also good that you would have the chance to try out a couple different sizes and style of kayak so you can see what you like. You will also learn a bit about kayak design and a little about a kayak's strengths and limitations.

A good way to try different sizes, styles and types of kayaks is to go to a demo day where you can paddle a few different kayaks and see how they feel.

Have fun searching!
Cheers,
Bryan

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:20 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Because you're at one end (small end) of the average kayaker size, it is more important for you to try out the kayak first - especially the fit. These days, most kayaks are good for their designed operation. That is, a short wide kayak has a different "mission" than a longer, sleeker kayak. And understand that many of us have more than one kayak (but we didn't buy two at once!) - like I have a 16 ft "sporty" kayak and a 17+ ft "station wagon" kayak.

My point is, don't think you have to get the absolutely correct boat now; that criteria for that "perfect" boat will change over time; especially after your first year.

But you should try to get a good fit - and that means at least setting in the boat. However, keep in mind that if the boat is a little loose, sometimes additional foam/padding can be added to "snug up" the fit while still allowing a clean/clean exit (and I'm talking about when you are upside down).

And those are things that might be difficult to assess if you have little experience.

If I had to choose only those two boats, I'd go for the 17 ft storm. But that's because I like camping/expedition activity rather than just day paddles. And frankly, I'd probably paddle more if I had the smaller boat because it would be easier to toss on top of the jeep and go. But I would be paddling in places that make my heart soar.

One other thing - don't be in too much of a hurry (unless it's a Mariner :) ). Boats come and go all the time. There will always be another good deal.

So get as much experience as you can before you buy and buy with the idea that what you get won't be your first and last boat. That takes away the pressure of getting the "perfect boat" the first time.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:28 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

I just looked at the review of the Storm and see that it has a rudder. If you get that boat, in the beginning, try not to use the rudder. I think of it like the difference between driving a car with a standard transmission and one with an automatic. In my day, even if you eventually got an automatic, you still knew how to drive a "stick shift". So it is with maneuvering a kayak without a rudder. There are already plenty of no rudder vs rudder threads and this isn't one of them. I'm just suggesting that the skills you learn without a rudder will transfer to your rudder boat or when you use the rudder if is on the boat you have. But if you start out using a rudder from the get go, you may become too dependent on that mechanical component.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:47 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your insights and recommendations!!

Well... I had to make a quick decision and I felt that both were excellent deals, while perhaps not the perfect kayaks for me, good enough for getting out there at a great price.

So I decided to go with the Necky because it's lighter, smaller and more manageable for me to (hopefully) lift on and off the jeep and also to get it to and from the water. I may have to look into a system to make it easier to get on and off the jeep, not sure. I was hoping to switch to my soft top soon, but maybe will have to leave the hard top on if I want to do this.

In any case, for now I'm going to use it straight from the dock but I would really like to connect with a paddling club so I'm not always just on my own. I'll definitely be taking a course. I'm in Yellow Point (between Ladysmith and Nanaimo).

Again, thanks so much for all your great info!! You have a wealth of knowledge and I really appreciate your quick replies. And thanks for the welcome to the forum! :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:52 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Also, I appreciate the recommendation to not use the rudder initially. Excellent idea to not become reliant on it. I drive a standard and dislike automatics so maybe I'll end up only using it when absolutely necessary :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

http://www.nanaimopaddlers.org/

we are about 300 strong (willed) .... meetings are in Nanaimo, first Wed evening of the month...come and check us out....

Atlantis Talon