Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New forums coming soon!
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:41 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know -- we're working on installing new forum software over the next week or so.

We've had some issues with the current software (which is free) in that our hosting company is updating their operating software and our somewhat long in the tooth forum software is no longer compatible. We considered upgrading to a more current version of the same software but the updated version doesn't really improve usability or offer any of the features that we'd like to see so we've decided (after a lot of consideration) to upgrade to a much better and more refined software that has features that many here have previously asked for.

The new software will look and feel very similar to what we've been using these past 12 years but is much more refined and intuitive. It also has many features that have been lacking, including:

- Better image uploading and handling - a huge improvement over the existing forums.
- Upload multiple images at once.
- Integrated image galleries - you'll be able to manage all of your images in a Gallery.
- WYSIWYG post editor.
- The ability to "like" a post.
- Better quoting features.
- Improved Personal Messaging.
- Facebook, Twitter, and Google integration.
- Fully responsive design - designed to view properly on your desktop, tablet, or phone.
- Improved administration functions.
- Way, way better Anti-Spam and security features.
- Integration with Content Management System software that we'll be using in our upcoming site redesign.

The new forums will be a bit different to us as well and we'll still need to learn and sort through the setup so we ask that you be a bit patient with us if things don't work smoothly for the first few days of getting them up and running.

Thanks,

Dan

Post subject: Re: New forums coming soon!
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:35 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Dan, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all the work you and your fellow WCP mods have put into this forum for lo these many years. The web forum platform is an incredible way to harness the experience of a whole population of users and create what is essentially an encyclopedic database.

Between them, paddling forums like WCP, myccr, and UK Rivers Guidebook offer an embarrassment of riches. Sadly, I've known knowledgeable contributors move over to other platforms like Facebook, which neither in their culture nor in their (in)ability to archive information offer anything of any enduring value to the paddling community as a whole. Here's hoping that current WCP contributors continue to stick around and share their wisdom. It is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:52 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Hello Dan.

Will the current information in your voluminous database be archived in a readily accessible form?

This forum has been an incredible asset to the kayaking community, as all would attest. Your efforts have been incredible and much appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:16 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Wow, looking forward to the improvements! Especially the "like" button. But also, thanks so much for this wonderful resource! It really is much appreciated. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me, who may not contribute a lot, but who get so much information and enjoyment out of following the various threads. (Especially the "buy and sell", because those who know me would say I'm a bit of a kayak collector. But enough about me...) This really is a great resource for paddlers, and I'm glad to see it grow and evolve! :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

drahcir wrote:
Will the current information in your voluminous database be archived in a readily accessible form?

My thought also- will there be an archive available?
Will the usernames, private message mailboxes, etc. be 'migrating' or will we be 'starting from scratch' ?

Dan-thanks again for all your work keeping this forum running.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:30 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Looking forward to the new look and features.

I don't post much but I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge this site has to offer.

Thanks for all you do!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

drahcir wrote:

Nothing will be lost. All of the content available now (user information, posts, photos, and private messages) will all be available in the new forums so no worries that we'll be 'starting over'.

Hopefully we'll continue being a resourceful community for another 12 years and more. :cool

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:06 am 
Paddler
Paddler

As a webmaster for various sites I wish you all best. Good luck, forums are far better than Facebook with its messy format. A forum lets you pick your subject with no distracting "mess".

What is the new "engine" to be used going to be?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:41 am 
Paddler
Paddler

Totally agree about Facebook -- biggest beef I have with it (among many other things) is that it's unsearchable. Forums are much better for continuous discussion.

We're replacing the phpbb forums with Xenforo forum software.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am 
Paddler
Paddler

BIG THUMB UP! Consider this the first "Like" on the forum! :)

Dan and company are GREAT! (this was an unpaid endorsement!, so far...;) )

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:40 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Thanks for all the work you do on this! Great resource for us all.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

That is great news :) Thanks for all the hard work keeping the site up and running! As one of the noobs, this forum has been my main source of paddling info. As much as I enjoy Facebook for random 'social' stuff, it can't replace a proper forum!