Click for home page
Mouseover the image for a description

Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Files  Community

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blurry Rock Garden Paddle
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:30 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

My friends Debra, Jack and I set off from the beach at Cabrillo, CA for a short-boat rock-garden paddle under a very gray sky on Tuesday. Swell and tide were both low, but we managed to have some fun. We slogged close to shore through the kelp beds to play in the rocks on our way to Point Fermin. The gray skies along with my camera lens having become hydrophilic led to some blurry photos that I hope still show the fun on the day!
Attachment:
acIMGP0003.jpg
acIMGP0003.jpg [ 197.15 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

Although the swell was small, there are a lot of reefs that funnel the water in and create enough of a wave to create some motion. On our first feature I found myself careening into and over rocks where I was glad I didn't have more water pushing me along.
Attachment:
aceIMGP0018.jpg
aceIMGP0018.jpg [ 209.46 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

After warming up in the kelp area, we moved on to a nice clearing where there was an easy washover to play on. Jack gave Debra some pointers on different ways to play on it and she tried a side washover. She wound up high and dry and tried to brace with a vertical blade and over she went! I could tell she was trying to roll up, but her boat swung around a whole 180 degrees. She started to roll up with Jack right beside her, but she had a giant hunk of seaweed wrapped around her neck! She couldn't grab Jack's boat in time and ended with a swim. I drained her boat and she pulled it up on a nearby rock for a nifty seal launch.

We moved on to another feature with a nice slot to ride through and a higher washover that took a big wave to get over. I watched Debra make a nice ride through the slot, but missed her combat roll after she got hit by the following wave. I hunkered down on the far side of the rock hoping to get a photo of Jack coming over...
Attachment:
aceIMGP0006.jpg
aceIMGP0006.jpg [ 153.78 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

...and he kindly obliged!
Attachment:
aceIMGP0016.jpg
aceIMGP0016.jpg [ 213.35 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

We collided a bit, but nothing life threatening! I didn't want to miss the fun, so I caught a big wave for a side washover that was quite a ride! When I came up I had to handle what looked to me to be one of the bigger waves of the day! It gave me a bit of a jostling, but it just made the ride that much more memorable!

We moved again to a neat sloping area and took turns riding the surge up the rocks. Pretty green moss covered the rocky cliffs.
Attachment:
acIMGP0029.jpg
acIMGP0029.jpg [ 283.72 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

Finally we hit the Point where Jack played King of the Rock...
Attachment:
aceIMGP0038.jpg
aceIMGP0038.jpg [ 225.49 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

...and I had some fun playing in a small smack wall that created a fun wave on the ebb.
Attachment:
aeIMGP0049.jpg
aeIMGP0049.jpg [ 254.25 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

We decided it was time to head home, but first took advantage of one of the bigger swells to ride us back up the slanted rock so we could take a short break. Our seal launch came off without hitch and after another slog through the kelp we landed tired back at Cabrillo. Maybe the gray sky was the cause of the blurry photos, but I like to think we had so much fun we couldn't see straight!

Mark Sanders
http://www.RockGardenKayaking.com
http://www.SandMarks.net

Post subject: Re: Blurry Rock Garden Paddle
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Very cool photos!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:20 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

Thanks! I wish it had been a little sunnier and maybe they'd have come out a bit sharper, but I'm having major problems with water on my lens!

Here's some video from the day...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm 
Paddler
Paddler

And if that's not enough video, you can watch my friend Debra do her Bearded Lady impression!

Mark